Dirt cheap BD player thread

vbimport

Not my favorite BD player but a good starter player.

honestly i would rather have a player that can play x264 format :wink: … cause that’s pretty much what i would want if i had a HDTV.

cause my XBox360 can play x264 but it needs converting using XenonMKV application to .mp4 format (no video quality loss but sound is converted so you lose the 5.1 channel stuff)

cause blu-ray is way to expensive right now… and movies are like 20-30 dollars or so on average for blu-ray? … which is BS cause disc should cost little to nothing more than standard DVD… cause i doubt it cost the MFG that much more to produce stuff in HD vs standard DVD.

p.s. no offense to thread starter.

[QUOTE=NBR;2166883]honestly i would rather have a player that can play x264 format :wink: … cause that’s pretty much what i would want if i had a HDTV.

cause my XBox360 can play x264 but it needs converting using XenonMKV application to .mp4 format (no video quality loss but sound is converted so you lose the 5.1 channel stuff)

cause blu-ray is way to expensive right now.

p.s. no offense to thread starter.[/QUOTE]

Noticed some good buys on the HD player for the XBOX this weekend.

NBR … have you taken a look at the WD HD TV Media Player?? Plays most formats. been using it for a few weeks now and enjoy it much. and the 1TB ext hdd is perfect use with it. just an idea if you hadnt seen it yet.

any idea on price Cavalyr?

not that i would need it overall myself since i pretty much use a XBox1 running XBMC (XBox Media Center) to play all the video formats i need minus HD stuff cause of it’s CPU limitations… cause i dont even have a HDTV which is main reason i aint looked into HD related players yet.

@ etp … even the official HD player i would not bother with for the XBox360 since by default the XBox360 can play HD stuff but since the online standard seems to be x264 (.mkv) i need to use a application called XenonMKV to convert it to .mp4 (which is really easy to do as the application is all automated, you just inpur original .mkv and click ‘start’ and it converts it all for you) and then you can directly play it on the XBox360 from a dvd disc (which is still true 720p or 1080p HD) or from external hdd etc.

p.s. i still need to compare a 720p compressed file in .mkv format vs a original blu-ray disc to see how close in quality it is on a xbox360… cause i seen a blu-ray on a friend of mines 50+inch LCD samsung and it looked great (which was 1080p) but i figure even 720p should be close… just at the time when i compared the mkv files to his blu-ray you could notice a fairly large gap in quality BUT i was using a VGA port on a laptop for output… which i why i think once i do the conversion with the xbox360 it will be alot closer to the original blu-ray disc since i figure output from a xbox360 will be quite a bit better vs a laptop’s VGA port thing.

The WD player was $99 recently at BB when I picked it up… I love mine! No need for beta-ray here… :wink:

@ Dalen Quaice … yep, if i had a HDTV i would most likely be all over that like white on rice for 100 dollars especially since you say you can use your own hard drives with it etc.

i assume it has firmware updates etc for it to?

p.s. but it really is a shame that the original xbox did not have a more powerful CPU in it… cause if it did (it could do HD stuff)… it would be BY FAR the best video/audio device out there… considering you can get em for about 40-50 dollars nowadays. , cause one of main reason’s it would be the best is you dont have to wait for MFG to make updates to it through firmware etc since the people actively update XBMC often for it with bug fixes etc… but all i really use XBMC for on XBox1 is ‘XviD’ stuff for the most part.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136154&cm_sp=DailyDeal--27-136-154--Product

http://sellout.woot.com/Default.aspx?WootSaleId=7295&ts=1228123613&sig=3e406750b8f9ce30

LITE-ON DH-401S SATA INTERNAL 4X BLU-RAY ROM OEM 79.99 Shipped From Frys

http://shop4.frys.com/product/5753622

budzos

BB coupon

[QUOTE=Dalen Quaice;2166989] No need for beta-ray here… ;)[/QUOTE]

you give me a chuckle every time you refer to ‘beta-ray’ :smiley:

might be true for the under 50" crowd… but BR has definite place for the next few years combo’d with my LN55A950 … compared to even 15 - 17 gig 1080p mkv’s or AVCHD files…the BR stream win hands down in picture quality, 7.1 sound (yes im utilizing this and it’s noticeable with true-hd or dts-ma) and the ability to expand to 100-250 gigs down the road as demo’d by a few BR vendors already.

Heck, even my ‘where’s the power button on this remote’ (it’s a Harmony for crying out loud lol) gf notices the difference…

am I being a typical AvSforum freak…yes…am i the normal joe-six-pack with a 37-47" Vizio using whatever type of feed and thinking comcast or u-verse is really ‘HD’ …not in the least bit…

However… I do like x264/mkv and respect what it does…it makes HD transportable outside of buying (and/or eventually burning BR discs) and has very nice sub/audio feed support options. A very versatile wrapper indeed, mkv that is.