DirecTV will launch HDTV this summer using MPEG-4 AVC HD

vbimport

I just posted the article DirecTV will launch HDTV this summer using MPEG-4 AVC HD.

Just a few  weeks ago, DirecTV  announced that they plan on using MPEG4 for its high definition  broadcasts.  Now DirecTV has made a deal worth over $9 million with  TANDBERG Televisions to...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/9880-DirecTV-will-launch-HDTV-this-summer-using-MPEG-4-AVC-HD.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/9880-DirecTV-will-launch-HDTV-this-summer-using-MPEG-4-AVC-HD.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I wonder if it gives similar results as nero digital maximum AVC…

The current $1000 HDTV/Tivo Satellite Receiver will make a pretty door stop. :g

LOOOL I called the other day because I wanted a Tivo for HD and they told me sure 1000 dollars, and I said “never mind” I just hope this HD programming comes to my happy little village in Colorado. HD Rocks! I’ll pay a little to get more HD channels. Right now I only get 5 :c
[edited by Crabbyappleton on 16.02.2005 02:26]

In the long run, it would be in DirecTV’s best interest if they offer “FREE HDTV” to new subscribers. As a current subscriber I have no problem with paying a one-time upgrade fee but if there’s a monthly fee, I wouldn’t bother. I don’t have a HDTV yet, but if they add 20+ HD channels to my satelite feed, I’ll be VERY tempted to make the jump.

Tandberg … norwegian prima goods … tandberg just rocks !

i suppose it will cost about 150 bucks a month?

Only 26 HD channels? I’m getting 39 now with VOOM!. Plus when VOOM upgrades to MPEG-4 it’s just a plugin module not a new box! Which means no money out of pocket for the subscriber. Sure they may not be in business much longer but it’s not going cost $1000 to upgrade!

bman549, I hate to rain on your parade, but Cablevision (current parent of VOOM) is planning on selling it to EchoStar. It’s unlikely VOOM will survive after the sale. You’re only 1 of 26,000 subscribers. They’ve spent more than $1 billion for the service, which means on average, a little over $38,000 per current subscriber. Assuming you pay on average $50 per month, each of the 26,000 subscribers would need to subscribe for the next 63 years before they recouped their $38,000 investment.