DirectTV: Getting locals from a different area

vbimport

Hello there! I have Direct TV and currently reside in Michigan about 200 miles from Chicago, Illinois. I want to get my locals from Chicago for local sports. If I call Direct TV and tell them I moved to a Chicago address and have already set up the system, is there any way for them to tell I’m still in Michigan? P.S. I will not be hooking up a phone line.

I have a client who brings his direct TV receiver up here from L.A. and it works fine.

I don’t have Direct TV but Dish instead. I doubt if you can just give them a change of address & get the receiver to work the way you want.
Even if you now have the phoneline disconnected .I think they would need to have a phoneline connected to change the programming on the “Smartcard”(Dish’s name for it).
I don’t have a phoneline connedted to my sat receiver either as I have went all cell & Skype. Dish can add or remove channels & regulary adds monthly “Bonus” channels & then removes them without the phoneline being connected. So they can do some things with the sat signal. I know they regularly turn off my receiver usually in the early morning & then turn it back on.I assume this is some kind of check to see if I’m stealing some channels with a modified “Smartcard”. I don’t.
Also giving a false address probably violates your contract.
I suggest contacting Direct TV & see if Chicago’s channels are available for you.You will probably have to purchase them as an additional package.
I think Dish calls this distant networks or something like that.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2531974]I have a client who brings his direct TV receiver up here from L.A. and it works fine.[/QUOTE]
When this is done is it your locals the client receives or does the sat receiver continue to receive the LA locals ?

He still gets L.A…

i just recently turned my direct tv in…our new place has cable included…so there was no need for another service…but until our move…we had 4 boxes…2 in memphis and 2 in mississippi…we got only our mississippi local channels…

[QUOTE=cholla;2532081]
I suggest contacting Direct TV & see if Chicago’s channels are available for you.You will probably have to purchase them as an additional package.
I think Dish calls this distant networks or something like that.

[/QUOTE]

I’ve tried that with DTV to get the east/west coast feeds in addition to my locals. DTV wouldn’t do it because my locals wouldn’t approve it. Back many years ago when I first got DTV it was awesome to have the east/west coast feeds of the major networks. I’d love to be able to have that again, but I doubt DTV would allow it without an approval from my locals. :confused: