Director's comments

vbimport

from time to time i get the director’s comments when i backup a movie, some times there is a box that shows director’s comments and it can be unchecked, on the last 2 i backed up (julie and julia, district 9) the director’s comments were there after burning is there any way to be sure the comments are not being backed up prior to burning

[QUOTE=thomm;2479035]from time to time i get the director’s comments when i backup a movie, some times there is a box that shows director’s comments and it can be unchecked, on the last 2 i backed up (julie and julia, district 9) the director’s comments were there after burning is there any way to be sure the comments are not being backed up prior to burning[/QUOTE]

It sounds like you only selected the directors comments and not the movie side. Are you checking your settings to make sure your checking the correct stream??

hmmmm i did uncheck 2 of the 3 audio streams to increase the quality, is there anyway to know which audio stream is the comments, i thought the different streams were for stereo or surround sound apparently i am wrong

From what I remember I think if you pick the wrong audio streams that what leads to director’s comments. Is there reason why your just doing that instead of copy the entire dvd media???

[QUOTE=thomm;2479080]hmmmm i did uncheck 2 of the 3 audio streams to increase the quality, is there anyway to know which audio stream is the comments, i thought the different streams were for stereo or surround sound apparently i am wrong[/QUOTE]

The audio streams present on a DVD can be there for many different purposes.

They could be foreign language versions, director’s commentary, actors commentary, descriptive versions for people with visual impairment etc etc.

All of which can be in surround sound, mono, stereo or a number of other speaker variants in between so you can’t tell what purpose the audio serves just by looking at whether it’s surround sound or otherwise.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, view the DVD in a software player and note which audio stream is the one you want. You can select the audio of your choice via the DVD menus first if required.

PowerDVD for example lists the audio streams in order regardless of whether they’re specifically named (as director’s commentary etc) or not.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2479124]From what I remember I think if you pick the wrong audio streams that what leads to director’s comments. Is there reason why your just doing that instead of copy the entire dvd media???[/QUOTE]

There are dramatic space savings to be made by excluding unwanted audio streams.

Removal of unwanted audio decreases the amount of compression required which therefore increases the quality of the result.

It’s relatively common for discs not even to require compression when the surplus audio and unwanted extras/trailers etc have been removed.

[B]Wombler[/B]

True for space saving and time they do that but then I for me am one to keep the current format as original as possible unless I don’t have enough media or need to compress it to fit on single layer but with clonedvd. I have used clonedvd to compress dvd9 to dvd5 without noticiable loss in watchable playtime.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2479198]True for space saving and time they do that but then I for me am one to keep the current format as original as possible unless I don’t have enough media or need to compress it to fit on single layer but with clonedvd. I have used clonedvd to compress dvd9 to dvd5 without noticiable loss in watchable playtime.[/QUOTE]

That depends on how compressible the source is though.

If you’re compressing something difficult to DVD-5, like ‘Saving Private Ryan’ for example, you’ll notice a massive difference.

Movie only copies of that film are unacceptable quality wise IMO even with a full re-encode instead of a transcode.

Difficult movies like that are best backed up on DL without compression and in that case you might as well keep as much content as possible.

[B]Wombler[/B]