Direct access to a CD reader

Hi,

As I haven’t received much input on this subject yet
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74969
I’m gonna rephrase the question :wink:
Has anyone dealt with (semi)direct access to a CD reader? (via VxD I guess). All I want to do is to execute some basic standard ATAPI CD-ROM commands like I do thru the ASPI.
Another way would be to use SPTI, but it doesn’t work with 9x Windows :frowning: Still I’m open to any other suggestions :bigsmile:

S.M.

ASPI is the standard way (not only adaptec, but
microsoft) to communicate with drives on 9x
family, so I really don’t understand why you
want to use direct access there.

Anyway, you can get the DDK and search for
PASSTHRU.ZIP. It explains how you can
communicate directly with apix.vxd via
DeviceIOControl() functions.

ASPI is the standard way (not only adaptec, but microsoft) to communicate with drives on 9x family, so I really don’t understand why you want to use direct access there.

That’s because there’s no free ASPI layer, which could be legally bundled with my software. I’ve asked for it here, but got no answers:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74969
I’d be more than happy if you could prove me wrong on this. :wink:

Anyway, you can get the DDK and search for PASSTHRU.ZIP. It explains how you can communicate directly with apix.vxd via DeviceIOControl() functions.

Thanks, I’ll check it out.

S.M.

Hmm, and why do you absolutely want to
bundle an ASPI layer with your program ?

Can’t you just say like some other burning apps
do that it requires ASPI on 9x and that each
user can get it for free from adaptec site ?

Hmm, and why do you absolutely want to
bundle an ASPI layer with your program ?

Can’t you just say like some other burning apps
do that it requires ASPI on 9x and that each
user can get it for free from adaptec site ?

Basically because:

1. you need access to the Internet
  2. you have to find the ASPI on the site (it’s not trivial for an ordinary user). What if Adaptec removes it from their site?
  3. you have to know English to navigate the site and to install the driver.

The software where I use ASPI isn’t a burning app (I read CD’s, not write them) for computer gurus, but a program for an ordinary Joe who neither has the knowledge nor desire to do some additional tweaks to get the app to run.

S.M.

Windows 9x comes with (okay, a rather outdated 1.0 or so) ASPI layer OOTB. So you only need to cope with NT-based systems. And there you can use SPTI :slight_smile:
You may want to present your program to me, maybe I can get you a free aspi layer.

Windows 9x comes with (okay, a rather outdated 1.0 or so) ASPI layer OOTB. So you only need to cope with NT-based systems. And there you can use SPTI :slight_smile:

And that’s exactly what I’m doing at the moment :wink: ASPI for 9x, SPTI for NT, but would like to unify it.

You may want to present your program to me, maybe I can get you a free aspi layer.

The thing is I’m just starting with it, so there’s nothing to show really ;(