Dimension 2400 hard drive

Hi I would like to upgrade my internal hard drive on my dell dimension 2400
can any one tell me which type of hard drive i need to purchase either sata or ide as i am not sure myself
thanks to any one that can help

IDE/PATA
//Danne

Most likely your dell is not going to be capable of handling a new HDD, because dell has not give bios updates to handle the new memory addressing. If you get maybe an 80gb seagate it might be okay to try, but most of the newer drives will not work.

[QUOTE=colnjack;2152638]Hi I would like to upgrade my internal hard drive on my dell dimension 2400
can any one tell me which type of hard drive i need to purchase either sata or ide as i am not sure myself
thanks to any one that can help[/QUOTE]

You will need to buy an IDE hard drive for that system as that system was manufactured before SATA hard drives became common. I have read some of the posts in a Dell support forum, and found out that there is no specific capacity limit. I believe that the largest hard drive that was on the consumer market at the time of the 2400’s manufacture was about 250GB. Thus, you can try a 320GB IDE (PATA) hard drive, and if it formats (using Windows XP with SP1 or higher slipstreamed) to around 298GB (or thereabouts), then your Dimension 2400 can handle such large hard drives. But if that 320GB hard drive formats to only 127GB even with Windows XP SP1 or higher, or refuses to work at all, then your system’s BIOS cannot support such a large drive.

On the other hand, if your system shipped with the original release of Windows XP, large hard drive support is disabled by default - thus, the large hard drive will always format to only 127GB with that version of Windows XP even on a newer computer system. (Note that the above formatted capacity figures are as reported in Windows, not necessarily as reported in the BIOS.)

It’ll work fine as long as he/she doesn’t use it ad s boot drive.
I’m quite sure it supports LBA 48-bit too.
//Danne

Even an SATA drive should work if connected to a PCI SATA adapter that’s installed in available PCI slot. I added a 1TB SATA drive to a Dell Dimension 4500 that doesn’t support SATA either, and it works fine when connected to PCI SATA adapter. Note it may be necessary to get a SATA adapter that has an updatable BIOS if the SATA drive is used as boot drive. Initially I got a SATA adapter that had no updatable BIOS with which the SATA drive could only be used as extra storage drive and not as boot drive. Exchange for adapter with updatable BIOS allows it to boot to SATA drive.

I am sure the default mobo handles PATA and as already stated if you have a free PCI slot then with an adapter card you can go SATA on the PC.

…question is why you would waste (yes, waste) money on getting a controller card etc when a PATA-drive will work fine. It’s old hardware and to be honest there’s no point in spending more than necessary if any at all.
//Danne

SATA drives generally cost less than PATA drives, and cost of SATA drive plus adapter will likely be less than PATA drive of same capacity. Additionally SATA drives are available with greater capacity, and SATA drives are faster.

“SATA drives are faster”

Prove that…
//Danne

lets stay on topic guys… also lets keep in mind since no budget was clearly defined, its good to list all options available, as was done thus far

if $$$ is not a great issue I would go for a SATA II controller and get a nice SATA drive as I have actually seen them to be more cost effective as of lately… which might almost make up for the cost of the controller vs a PATA drive… which might also differ depending on region where you live

Further I personally would like the idea of a further future upgrade to SSD drives once they become more affordable (by my standard anyway)

ok I screwed up and bought a SATA hard drive for the dimension 2400 computer. I also purchased the IDE to SATA converter card.

Everything is hooked up and the computer will not recognize the hard drive.

Are you all saying there is no way of making this work on this computer as a primary drive? It is a WD 5000AAKS

I do not have another bay so this has to be the primary drive.

If I end up having to buy another hard drive for this computer what is the largest I can buy and what kind should I get?

Sorry to jack your thread but I think I am in a similar spot as you.

Did you go through your BIOS and set the new device as the primary drive?

How old is your dell?

Unless it’s a card with BIOS it wont show up until Windows and drivers are loaded
//Danne

Welcome to this forum. It’s an IDE drive. They vary from 40 to 80GB for your model. I would look into a S.M.A.R.T. HDD IDE from Hitachi or Samsung. Also see about 16MB cache buffer or higher when you upgrade.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2162353]Did you go through your BIOS and set the new device as the primary drive?

How old is your dell?[/QUOTE]

I went in to the BIOS but it does not see the hard drive so I was unable to set it.

It is a DELL Dimension 2400.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2400/en/sm_en/specs.htm

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2162607]Unless it’s a card with BIOS it wont show up until Windows and drivers are loaded
//Danne[/QUOTE]

So is there any way to load the drivers?

I can’t set this as a second hard drive either because there are no expansion bays or plug ins for it.

So am I SOL in using this hard drive?

With this aging computer, by now you know that this is called Hard Drive Upgrade…doing it the hard way.
I would return the SATA drive and controller card and start over with a IDE (PATA) hard drive installation.

If these are unreturnable, I suppose one could get the machine going with the old HDD and do a typical HD upgrade with the controller card installed (drivers), the new drive temporarily slaved (drivers) and everything properly recognized.
Instructions/software are included if you bought a retail packaged drive or Google your new drive’s mfr for them and related software.

Just lay the temporarily slaved new drive outside the case safely on the anti-static bag that it came in.

I’m hoping that you can return that stuff .

As stated in my post #6 it may be necessary to get SATA adapter with updatable BIOS, and then set it to IDE mode. With other SATA adapters the drive will only work as an extra storage drive and will not be bootable as primary drive. The card I and others have used successfully is at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124020.

You need to slipstream drivers (use nLite) on the installation disc or use the “Add/Remove Hardware” wizard in Windows
//Danne