DiMelo (Toshiba USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Disk Drive 500Gb)

[qanda]This thread is about the Toshiba USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Disk Drive 500Gb. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have a Toshiba HDD 500GB 3. 5" USB Externo - PX1274E-1G50 and every time I connect it tells me that de device can preform faster if I connected to an USB 2.0 hub.
The hub is 2.0 and the cables are also usb 2.0.
What can I do? It takes a eternity to write and read data.
Thanks for your help.
DiMelo

It sounds like your connecting to a 1.1 usb port. Look in the device manager to see if you have a usb2 enhanced host controller listed.

If you are using Windows XP, if I remember correctly, only after installing service pack two allow the computer to run USB ports at full speed.

All the hubs are USB 2.0 and I have Service Pack 3 installed.
Other external disk are USB 2.0 as the external DVD read/writer and all work fine.
DiMelo

Hi,

can you try this unit with another computer?

Michael

Hi mciahel

Thanks for the tip but same result.
During the instalation it apears like a usb 2.0 device but quickly tells me that can perform faster if connect to a hi-speed usb 2.0 port.
DiMelo

Hi,

If the drive behaves the same with another computer (that hopefully is equipped with USB 2.0 HiSpeed controller), then I assume, it is faulty. You may replace the USB cable, but if this doesn’t help, then contact the vendor for a replacement under warranty.

Michael