Digitizing hi8 video for burning to DVD

I am new to video capture and editing. I am working on copying/editing my old hi8 videotapes to save as DVD’s. I have the original camera, firewire, and I enjoy using the windows movie maker software. Do I need anything else to digitize my old movies onto my computer? I think I have figured out how to capture and save my movies as an avi file. What settings do I need to have the very best quality. My computer system is large (3gb RAM, 500MB/ and I am using Windows xp. I am a newbi. Help

You’re on the right track capturing via firewire, and saving as DV AVI…Just know that the files are LARGE, ~13Gb per hr. of footage…however this will yield the “very best quality” ( just like it was recorded on cammy)…
I prefer capturing with WinDV…Then I’ll use a simple editor like avidemux or similar before authoring a DVD…

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/video-editors-basic

Thanks…I will give each a try. I have been fighting with this for 2 months now! i had to educate myself with all the terminology etc. I hope this works. I actually have noticed that windows movie maker puts files as wmf format, and I am not sure how to convert them to Avi if I like another editing software. Windows movie maker is easy. I tryed Vegas…way to complicated for me. Thanks a bunch

Tina. Capturing and editing with WMV is fine. Just save the file as dv-avi. If you want your video’s on dvd’s, you will need some software to convert the avi files to mpeg2. There are free ones and some low cost ones as well. Virtualdubmod, favc, freeenc, hc encoder, convertxtodvd, are just a few…