Digital High Definition Over Hyped

[QUOTE=pipemanid;2477519]Damn Commies…
Beat you to it…:D[/QUOTE]

Maybe things like a TV tax is why many countries in the EU are tacking to the right, politically. At some point, enough is enough. :wink:

[QUOTE=Whappo;2477443]I haven’t owned at television in 15 years. [/quote] Do you watch movies/series/etc at all at some device?

A friend of mine years ago referred to televison as the “universal mother”. It took me a while to get her point. :slight_smile:
Interesting point of view. Dunno. I guess it’s right.

[QUOTE=UTR;2477490]I am curious as to what your costs are compared to mine for what you get. We get TV and internet access via Comcast cable for about $130 per month. […] Also, included is a couple of cable boxes. For around $20-$30 more per month we could get a boatload of pay channels and another 40-50 HD channels.[/QUOTE] In Denmark (as in most other countries probably), tv signals are available either as a terrestrial signal (DVB-T), sattelite, cable, IP-over-cable, or IP-over-DSL.

I get my tv signals from the largest cable-tv provider, not as an indivudual household but through an agreement for a whole neighbourhood.

They have three “packages” (base, intermediate, full) as well as add-on packages and add-on channels. The “full” package contains approx. 50 digital tv-channels (49 SD + 1 HD) plus approx 39 analog tv-channels (mirror of the digital channels) and a number of radio channels. This currently costs me approx. $51 per month. The price for individual households would be approx. $75 per month.

It’s possible to rent a settop receiver/recorder for an additional $18 per month, which also includes 2 “bonus” channels in HD and some additional services (Cinema: Rent a movie, Start-over: Watch the current program from its start, TV Archive - watch archived programs from the last month)

In addition to that you can add extra tv channels from a wide selection at $2.40 per month per channel. Some sports/movie channels are more expensive, however.

It’s possible to get a combined tv and Internet access as well, but I get them separately.

The mandatory tv license (now called “media license”) fee is separate from this cost.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2477616]Do you watch movies/series/etc at all at some device?

[/QUOTE]

I watch DVD movies on my computer, Netflix is a good source for movies that will never play at theaters here in the US. I’m not a movie snob, just not that into special affects or “blockbusters”. Still enojy reading fiction, once you read a story you own it, you give it life and meaning, unlike watching the film adaptation. As for a television series, no, I’m afraid I’m out of touch.
I do recommend television as a good way to learn a language though, having lived in a foreign country, TV (along with some language courses) helped me acquire the communication skills to overcome feeling isolated and to get out and about to interact with people and the culture. I’m not anti television, I’m just not that interested. As a well known Canadian once observed, content doesn’t matter, it’s the medium that’s the message. :doh:

And a less well known American proclaimed that TV was a ‘vast wasteland’…

“[I]When television is good, nothing—not the theater, not the magazines or newspapers—nothing is better. But when television is bad, nothing is worse. I invite you each of you to sit down in front of your television set when your station goes on the air and stay there for a day without a book, without a magazine, without a newspaper, without a profit and loss sheet or a rating book to distract you. Keep your eyes glued to that set until the station signs off. I can assure you that what you will observe is a vast wasteland.[/I]”

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/newtonminow.htm

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2477837]They have three “packages” (base, intermediate, full) as well as add-on packages and add-on channels. The “full” package contains approx. 50 digital tv-channels (49 SD + 1 HD) plus approx 39 analog tv-channels (mirror of the digital channels) and a number of radio channels. This currently costs me approx. $51 per month. The price for individual households would be approx. $75 per month.[/QUOTE]

The cost is definitely lower but here we have something called Basic Cable that has around 50 channels (no HD) that is priced around $20-$30 per month. Also, all the broadcast station in my area send out HD signals. The trick to get them via air waves is to be close enough and/or have a good antenna to get a strong signal. The Internet service component of our monthly bill is around $50. Comcast has one of the better download caps at 250 GB per month.

For some reason I thought Europe was closer to the USA in providing high tech services like cable TV etc. From what you describe it sounds like it could be a long time before substantial HD service expands to the majority of the population.