Digital Downlaod Vs Physical Item

vbimport

hey everyone im a newby

im doing a uni project titled “Is mechanically presented music going to disappear completely in favor of electronic distribution”

so id like your opinions on this please

What do you prefer a Physical disc or vinyl to a digital download

so the advantage and disadvantages are

With a physical item

• A nice decent quality disc
  • a nice case to protect it
  • nice artwork, maybe a digipack which look really nice
  • lyrics enclosed in a booklet and other info

3 words that spring to mind, assuming you compare legal downloads versus legal CDs:

Convenience & quality & feel

Convenience: The physical product immediately fits in my (car) stereo, no need to process it.

Quality: Generally, the quality of downloaded music is lower than on a CD, due to compression. Furthermore, the quality of pressed CDs is generally better than of burnt CDs

Feel: I like to browse through the CDs in a store, pick up a case and read the songs. I can also listen to the songs in the store, but what I like most is the return policy of my favourite store: I can return the product (CD & DVD) within 7 days if I don’t like it, so I can have a good listen in my own home (and I have only used this option once in all those years!).

But this is very personal…I can also relate to the digital product, there are arguments in favor of that in each of the three bove-defined categories…

sorry i posted the previous uncompleted one by accident

hey everyone im a newby

im doing a uni project titled “Is mechanically presented music going to disappear completely in favor of electronic distribution”

so id like your opinions on this please

What do you prefer a Physical disc or vinyl to a digital download

so the advantage and disadvantages are

With a physical item

• A nice decent quality disc
  • a nice case to protect it
  • nice artwork, maybe a digipack which look really nice
  • lyrics enclosed in a booklet and other info

Downlaod

• Convient to aquire i can sit at home and purchase
  • Near Cd quality
  • cheaper than a cd

ok ill give you my preference of a cd why? because i have a physical item thats always gonna be there backed up, computers are at the best of time temperamental,

its only a few pounds or dollars more for a physical item that i can rip onto my computer and have plenty of freedom in playing it or copying it onto whatever i desire. plus i dont like to feel like im purchasing nothing, i want something to hold or collect, again people love to collect vinyl i mean how long has it been around the past 100 years and people are still buying them, i went into my local music shop and they said sales of seven inch ahs tripled in the last year, also its a nicer quality as it picks up everything, during quantization data is immediately lost.

also people are saying as well as itunes and any other software that regardless of the format 128kbps is cd quality well ive done tests using my ipod headphones from my laptop, 5.1 genelic speakeers in a studio and everytime all my tests showed that any ordinary music lsitener can tell that a cd is a btter quality than and 128 digital downlaod, so i personally think since people are so used to listening to lower quality downlaoded music they have just excepted and are used to it

finally anyone using itunes is paying for sub quality music as a slightly chepaer price, half the time i cant even find the music i want on there, and also sometimes you cant even download the full abum and my tests concluded that AAC which apple uses came 2nd to bottom

so we had

1 - WAV or a cd
2 - WMA
3 - AAC
4 - MP3

so any opinions and thoughts on the matter would be much appreciated thanks

geoffd

Replying or editing wasn’t an option for you, you had to post a new thread again? Please don’t in the future…, makes my life easier and my mood better…in the end, that benefits everybody :wink:

Merged the 2 threads for you, as I had already replied in the first

I will go for pressed CDs all the way. Digital downloads is after all not 100% durable, i.e. burned CDs have a life span compared to pressed CDs, not to forget the music quality of pressed CDs and its immediately archieved at the time you bought it. Also, hard drives are not durable. By buying pressed CDs, I don’t even have to worry about losing data at all. Trust me, whatever that goes wrong with your digital data, forgot to backup and archieve, you will stand to lose tons of money there.

Thats one of the main reason why I hate game developers intending to go the digital way to sell games instead of retail. According to them $49.99 ceiling price won’t cut it anymore. No one is going to pay more unless the game has a very nice review or track record like Baldur’s Gate III?

I am not the type of person who will put original CDs on a car stereo, I would rather duplicate it and put the burned versions on it. A slight downgrade of sound quality won’t be noticeable that much than to see all the finger prints and smudges on the CD. I would prefer to fit my 5.1 Speaker System the best of the best! :slight_smile:

I also prefer a “shop” bought item as discussed above.
If the downloads were the same or better quality I’d still prefer the “shop” bought item as with the DRM crap what would happen if your hard drive crashed or some other disaster they would make you pay all over again, but your cd collection is portable and is not going to self destruct any time soon.

i didnt know you could ‘try’ cd;s and return them if the cd was abysmal?? I have bought about 3 cd;s that i thought were doosh and didnt think to return them :frowning: thats why ive been going for the digital content this past year. I also prefer digital just for convenience, all my music on my pmp.

Do they also teach English grammar on that uni of yours?

No They Dont lol, just multimedia production and im not too good at that either.