Digicam question: Canon Powershot G3 or G5?

I’m about to get rid of my old digicam (Olympus C300-Zoom) and get me a new one.

First, my eye fell on the Canon Powershot G5, but after doing some reading, I found out that many people recommend the G3, for three reasons:

1. G5 has purple fringering/chromatic abbrevation (G3 hasn’t and that’s good)
  2. G5 has a noisier image
  3. G5 is more expensive

Although I prefer 5MP instead of 4MP, and a black body instead of a silver body, I really don’t know what do do anymore.

Are there perhaps people here that have any of these cams (or even better: both) that can give me good advice? I’ve read quite some reviews, but there’s still a very big difference between review and real-life pictures…

TIA!

Tough call, before purchasing my camera, I found one website most helpful. If you don’t know of it already, then here ya go:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digusers.html

I hope it can help.

DPReview is a good site for reviews as well. my friend actually just bought a G3 and loves it. he’s a digital photography/imaging nut and very much preferred the G3 to the G5.

@both repliers: I read those two reviews (some time ago), and it seems like Steve is more positive (usually, I prefer Steve above all others) about the G5 than the others are.

@AZImmortal: it is good to know that a “real photographer” is very kind about the G3 (more than the G5)…

It’s kind of a though call… but I think I may go with the G3…

If anybody else got any comments, please :wink:

The best camera by far is the pentax optio 550 (or if you wait a bit the 555 is on the way)

Originally posted by hburrows83
The best camera by far is the pentax optio 550 (or if you wait a bit the 555 is on the way)

Why do you think so?

Seems to me that the G3/5 can do much more things manually and offer better features (possibilty to attach another lens and have a flash-socket), makes better pictures (less noise) and is bigger (bigger=better)…

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
[B]Why do you think so?

Seems to me that the G3/5 can do much more things manually and offer better features (possibilty to attach another lens and have a flash-socket), makes better pictures (less noise) and is bigger (bigger=better)… [/B]

Sorry, forgot to ask you what you’re looking for in a camera? what sort of spec to price ratio? etc

Through personal experience and many magazine reviews the best 5mp digital camera for around £400 (so cheaper end of the market) is the Pentax Optio 550. Of course it’s not proffesional but it’s easily able to do all semi professional jobs.

Unfortunately the magazine that i buy (digital photographer) doesn’t have an online review but it got 95%, which no other camera (including cheap/expensive, professional/amature) received such a high accolade.

Hope this helps

Well it’s nice that the Pentax cam gives such a great bang for the buck, but it misses some important features (at least, things I find to be important): exchangable lens/lens convertor, flash shoe, big body etc etc

I really don’t care too much about the money (I can spend to €800 for my new cam) but I don’t want such a compact camera anymore. I’d really like to have a good D-SLR cam, but those are still very expensive (although the Canon EOS D300 is getting affordable)…

It’s funny looking back through my magazines and seeing such variation in scores awarded. One mag says it’s great and the other says it’s not. I’d just go for the one that best suits your needs…

Overall however in your price range and taking the averages from each mag and comparing the features, it does seem that the G5 just about wins… not perfect, but then what is?

Hope it’s good for you, whatever you decide to buy.

@hburrows83: I read some magazine today (at my parents-in-law) and the G5 came out as worst cam of them all. Guess what: they compared the cam with cams like the Nikon D100H etc (€2200 for the body only).

Indeed, nothing is perfect, but I’m still undecided what’s better for me: G3 or G5. Somehow I think it’s going to be the G3. When I browse the pictures on some reviewsites, there is a huge difference in noise noticable (comparing the G5 to the G3) and I really hate noise in (relatively) expensive cams…

Yeah it says here that the G3 (3mp) has very good picture quality that beats a lot of the 4mp cams… plus it’s cheaper. At the end of this month in the UK they are bringing out a seperate “special edition” mag that lists all the cameras and tests them again. I can’t wait to see who comes out top… will keep you posted.

But for now looks like the G3 has more going for it.

G3 is 4MP, G5 is 5MP :wink:

haha, just checked the mag and they have made a mistake. the summary at the end is for another camera. Another mag however does specify it’s 4.1 and still highly praises it (91%) g5 got 88%.

Thanks, that’s good to know… I think the G3 will be mine pretty soon :slight_smile:

BTW, do you perhaps know if this cam only works with CF2/SLC memory? Some say it can use standard CF(2) as well, but some others don’t…

It uses CFI/ll only as far as the mag says:

Pros… Delivers the best image quality of any 4mp camera, complete control, great handling, almost perfect image quality.

Cons… Could have added a PC socket

Just a quick question but how much can you find this camera for?

Originally posted by hburrows83
[B]It uses CFI/ll only as far as the mag says:

Pros… Delivers the best image quality of any 4mp camera, complete control, great handling, almost perfect image quality.

Cons… Could have added a PC socket

Just a quick question but how much can you find this camera for? [/B]

What’s a PC socket? I guess it comes with an USB port, right?

The G3 can be bought for around €570 here, the G5 costs about 100 more…