Digging Into LED Backlight of New Bravia TV

Sony Corp unveiled the structure of the LED backlight of its new Bravia LCD TVs, the EX700 series, Jan 20, 2010.

The backlight consists of three diffuser panels, a light guide plate and a reflector plate (from the back side of the LCD panel). And LEDs are positioned at the top and bottom edges of the light guide plate as light sources (See related article). Compared with the ZX5 series LED-backlit LCD TVs, which were announced in 2009, Sony improved the positions of the light sources and the shape of the light guide plate this time.

Link: http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20100126/179615/

:cool::cool:

Well when they gave up on their XBR 8 series with the RGB local dimming backlight I think they lost the plot. It seems that local dimming sets usually have a much better black level due to being able to easily shut of the dark parts of the picture, and supposedly the RGB local dimming they had used was supposed to be one of the best ones out there at the time, but it was much more expensive to make so I guess they for now have dropped it.
I haven’t seen any of their newer sets so I can’t say how much better they might have been, or how good that new one is now but thats what I’ve seen in reviews from places I trust.
Hopefully it makes Sony fans happy with their sets I guess, I can’t really afford a newer big screen right now but it would be nice…

Sony dropped the ball years ago, and I don’t think they will ever get it back.

I think it’s just enough of a challenge trying to keep up with who’s making what for whom. Although we know that there are not very many players left in the game.

:cool::cool: