Differrent burner cables

I recently purchased an inexpensive Acer Aspire Am1100, for a second computer, went to install a Benq drive, the cables were completly different from the cables I have on my other computers, is there a way to install the cables I had hooked up to the Benq, if not what kind of drive can I buy to fit the cables in this computer? T.I.A.

It seems like it a difference between an IDE drive and a SATA drive. IDE cables are usually the flat grey ribbon, SATA cables are not. Doesn’t this box come with a DVD drive? What type of cable is it using? All I can tell is that the HD is SATA, not sure about the DVD drive.

You are not saying what cable you have. There are basically two types,
IDE=flat cable(could be round, but abut 1/2"diameter) or SATA cable, small flat, looks like power cord.
If your computer does not have SATA port, than you will need IDE drive or purchase SATA card to plug in one of empty slots, if any available. Cables are not exchangeable.

[QUOTE=CDuncle;2211993]You are not saying what cable you have. There are basically two types,
IDE=flat cable(could be round, but abut 1/2"diameter) or SATA cable, small flat, looks like power cord.
If your computer does not have SATA port, than you will need IDE drive or purchase SATA card to plug in one of empty slots, if any available. Cables are not exchangeable.[/QUOTE]
The cable that accomanied my Benq was flat, a Sata card allows IDE cables
to be used?, Would it just be easier to buy a top notch SATA drive, if so, any suggestions, thanks for the replies.

I would keep your Benq with your existing system and go out and buy a SATA drive, You shouldn’t have to spend very much.

What would be the most important feature to you in the drive?

:cool::cool:

[QUOTE=platinumsword;2212132]I would keep your Benq with your existing system and go out and buy a SATA drive, You shouldn’t have to spend very much.

What would be the most important feature to you in the drive?

:cool::cool:[/QUOTE]
Writing/burning DVD’s

Okay I am going to assume that a least you with want a drive that will support booktyping (Bitsetting). This enables you to change + media to DvD-Rom. I am also going to assume then that scanning your media is not important.

Drives to consider

[B]Pioneer DVR-216DBK Black 20X SATA

[/B][B]LG GH22NS30 Black DVD+RW 22X8X16 DVD-RW 22X6X16 DL 16X/12X 2MB SATA

:cool::cool:

[/B]

I think he is reffering the 40 wire ide versus the 80 wire ide cable.

This is how cable looks like. You better check what you can add to your machine first, you may not have enough ports anyway.
Left picture is IDE.

I would like to know what is wrong with the drive that came with it? From what I can tell there are a couple different models of the Acer Aspire Am1100 and it looks like all of them come with a burner, maybe not.

[QUOTE=Whappo;2212175]I would like to know what is wrong with the drive that came with it? From what I can tell there are a couple different models of the Acer Aspire Am1100 and it looks like all of them come with a burner, maybe not.[/QUOTE]The burner is Hitachi model that is a lesser type for burning,

[QUOTE=CDuncle;2212164]This is how cable looks like. You better check what you can add to your machine first, you may not have enough ports anyway.
Left picture is IDE.[/QUOTE]Excactly what the cables resembled, I believe I have the port’s, but don’t see any more cables for another drive. Am contemplating getting an exterior enclosure and putting in a drive of my preference, good/bad idea? Again T.I.A,

[quote=durkinjt;2212181]The burner is Hitachi model that is a lesser type for burning,[/quote]What model exactly?
I’d expect them to be Renesas LG rebadges, which aren’t that bad :slight_smile:

[quote=durkinjt;2212186]Excactly what the cables resembled, I believe I have the port’s, but don’t see any more cables for another drive.[/quote]IDE or Sata? I missed that :confused:
If IDE, then you should be able to connect another drive on the same cable (maybe it has to be replaced by a standard cable that has the usual 3 connectors.
In case, it is Sata, then you either need

[ul]
[li]a Sata drive or[/li][li]an IDE controller for connecting existing IDE drive or[/li][li]an USB enclosure for externally connecting an existing IDE drive. Please note that not all burners do well with USB/IDE bridges. The least important issue is limited write/read speed…[/li][/ul]

Michael

You did not say if it is an IDE or SATA. In any case, if the cable is IDE, you should have second connector right next to one existing IDE cable is connected to. That is Secondary Chanel and you can plug 2 more devices into that one. You can have all together four devices on two IDE channels.
If it is SATA you will have to look for empty plug. On cheap motherboard there may not be any left.
You better get motherboard manual and look what is available on your machine.
Next time you answer, tell us exactly what you have, than we may be more specific to help you get a right stuf.

[QUOTE=CDuncle;2212346]You did not say if it is an IDE or SATA. In any case, if the cable is IDE, you should have second connector right next to one existing IDE cable is connected to. That is Secondary Chanel and you can plug 2 more devices into that one. You can have all together four devices on two IDE channels.
If it is SATA you will have to look for empty plug. On cheap motherboard there may not be any left.
Next time you answer, tell us exactly what you have, than we may be more specific to help you get a right stuf.[/QUOTE]
Device manager states, Hitachi GH15N/ATA

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2212386]Device manager states, Hitachi GH15N/ATA[/QUOTE]

It is a SATA drive, than why are you getting new one?

Hi,

He thinks:

I’d recommend a visit in the LG forum in order to get more information about this unit. Perhaps it is crossflashable to LG retail firmware (a look onto the sticker on top of the drive might be very useful here) :wink:

Michael

[QUOTE=CDuncle;2212398]It is a SATA drive, than why are you getting new one?[/QUOTE]

It’s a PATA drive. Not a SATA drive.

[QUOTE=CDuncle;2212346]You did not say if it is an IDE or SATA. In any case, if the cable is IDE, you should have second connector right next to one existing IDE cable is connected to. That is Secondary Chanel and you can plug 2 more devices into that one. You can have all together four devices on two IDE channels.
Next time you answer, tell us exactly what you have, than we may be more specific to help you get a right stuf.[/QUOTE]

You can hook up the drive to any end of the IDE cable as long as your not usng CS.

[QUOTE=pfloyd1;2212517]You can hook up the drive to any end of the IDE cable as long as your not usng CS.[/QUOTE]

It’s good you found spec for that drive, I could not find anything, just went by the model number he listed.
I am not sure he would know what CS mean, it is “Cable Select” setting of jumpers on the drive.