Different versions of Corsair XMS3 memory compatible?

Hello,

I have two sticks of Corsair DDR3 XMS3 memory. Both are listed as 1333Mhz and have the same 9-9-9-24 timings listed on them. However, one is an older, 2GB stick that says “Version 2.1”. The other is a 4GB stick that says “Version 3.13”.

Does anyone know if I will run into problems trying to run these sticks together?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

[QUOTE=adict2jane;2600769]Hello,

I have two sticks of Corsair DDR3 XMS3 memory. Both are listed as 1333Mhz and have the same 9-9-9-24 timings listed on them. However, one is an older, 2GB stick that says “Version 2.1”. The other is a 4GB stick that says “Version 3.13”.

Does anyone know if I will run into problems trying to run these sticks together?

Thanks in advance,

Matt[/QUOTE]
Na you wont have any problems, DDR3 Dual Channel, is DDR3 dual channel, you can even run, 1333Mhz with 1600MHz but it will run at 1333Mhz.

Awesome! Thanks Alan. Glad to hear. I know that’s how older memory hardware worked but I wanted to make sure with DDR3 because I have no experience with it.

[QUOTE=adict2jane;2600769]Hello,

Thanks in advance,

Matt[/QUOTE]

Actually, one might not be older than the other, in the case of the Corsair memory modules. Revision numbers have nothing to do with the age of the modules (in fact, version 1.1 could have been manufactured on the very same day as version 9.9 of that same model number, depending on the subcontracted assembly plant used); the only way to determine the age is the multi-digit lot number.

The revision numbers of those modules merely determine which actual parts are used in the RAM. The number to the left of the decimal point indicates the IC chips used on the modules - while the number to the right of the decimal point refers to the PCB (Printed Circuit Board) used in their manufacture. And there is some chance that the two different version numbers might not work well or at all when mixed together in the same system.