Different compression rates for an entire CD rip

Being able to rip out parts of a DVD would be a grat feature, but since it is possible to do through other means (e.g., IFOEDIT) it’s not a big deal.

What is a big deal would be to set different compression rates for titles. For example, when ripping American Graffiti, the whole move could be kept at 100% and still fit on the DVD with plenty of space to spare. The interview with George Lucas is almost as big as the movie itself. If I could compress the heck out of the extras and leave the move untouched (or very high), I’d be extremely grateful. DVD2ONE does such a SUPERB job at predicting the final file size, that I doubt this would be a big problem to implement.

In the meantime, does anyone know of a workaround?

does anyone know of a workaround?

Yes, but not with DVD2One!
While I’m sure this feature will follow, at the moment only InstantCopy or DVD95Copy offer this facility.

-Pete

It’s easy to do. You just do two passes. On the first pass use an output size that assumes a very small space. On the second pass use a size that uses a very large space. Then take the movie from pass 2 and merge it into the pass one output (overwrite the movie VTS). Then run IFOUpdate to correct it…

The interesting thing is that you can do a two pass encode with DVD2one and still finish 3 times faster than the other encoding products!

Here are some quick instructions I put together:

1. Rip to your disc as usual. I use DVDDecrypter.

2. Right click on the directory that holds your files – and record the overall size. For my example the directory is 7.32GB

3. Now see how much of the directory is used for the MAIN movie. Usually that is the largest VTS… In the example it is the VTS_01_X.VOB set and it comes to 3.77GB, or about 51.5% of the total space. See… this shows what a problem I have. Using a straight 1:1 copy the 7.32GB disc will shrink to 4.37GB – or a reduction to 59.7% of its original size. That means the movie VTS will shrink to 2.25GB. Momma Mia! That’s way small!!! Especially when I know that DVD2one leaves the audio intact and the audio takes about .5GB of that!!! I only have 1.75GB of video…

4. Now that I know the sizes, let’s manipulate them. I’m going to run DVD2one twice, setting the output size too large on one (for quality) and too small on another (to make room) – then merge the movie from the large one into the extras/menus from the small one. The result: A correctly sized directory ready to burn that has allocated more to the move…

5. Now for the calculations. First let’s set the minimum size reduction I want for my movie… For this example I’m going to choose 70% since it’s a nice round number. Since the original directory is 7.32GB – a reduction to 70 percent would be (7.32 * .7) = 5.124GB. Now convert that to a number for DVD2one by multiplying it times 1024, (5.124 * 1024 = 5246) – I rounded down to be safe. I also know from my calculations above that my movie VTS should end up at about 2.63GB (51.5% of 5.124GB).

6. Run DVD2one, choose the input directory, and an output directory… use full disc mode, and set the output size to 5246 (calculated in step 5). For this example I am outputting to a directory called D:\LARGE tick…tick…tick

7. Done. Cool. And look! The new VTS came out exactly the size I wanted! DVD2one is good that way. Now we just need to decide what size to make the second disc set. We already know that the space we will use for our movie is 2.63GB – we’ve done it. We also know that the size our our final output has to be 4.37GB (to fit on a DVD-R), so by subtracting I know that there is 1.73GB left for the menus/extras. I also know that the menus/extras make up 49.5% of my disc. So since I can divide 1.73 by .495 and I get 3.51 – that’s the number to use in creating the second (smaller) directory. To make it a number to put into DVD2one I multiply by 1024 and get 3594.

8. Run DVD2one again, set the input directory, and output directory. This time to a subdirectory calld D:\SMALL. I set to “Full” and the size to 3594. Let it run.

9. The last part is easy. I delete the movie VTS from the D:\SMALL directory, replace it with the movie VTS from the D:\LARGE directory and run IFOUpdate. Set it to “Standard” mode, original IFO to the VTS in the D:\SMALL directory, newly authored to the IFO in the D:\LARGE directory, and update.

10. Last step -> just burn the image.

Finally…

Someone explained this procedure…

I am VERY new to DVD back-up and I did not know how to update the IFO’s (duhhhh!) since I did not the software…

Thank you again…

I’ll give it a try and let you know.

Gus.

I tried the same (similar) thing based on the same calculations. I even made an excel spreadsheet to plug in the numbers. What happened was that I was shooting to get the whole movie VOBs perfect. The problem was the the movie vobs were 3.95 GB!

I’d like to try it with a disc whose movie is approx 2-3 GB like American Graffiti or Raging Bull. I figure I can compress the extras enough with DVD2ONE without hitting the lower compression limit of DVD2ONE’s algorithm.

I used 70% as an example. If that makes your output too large to fit (when you add in the extras) you have to make it less… Generally that’s okay – as movies that take a lot of space (but aren’t long) can usually be shrunk by more without losing too much quality.

By the way – this same problem exists in the other packages and will assuredly exist when DVD2one adds that feature. You can’t argue with physics…

Hi
I have input all the information for jdobbs method into an .xls sheet…

But I don’t know how to post it here as an attachment

Any ideas?

Thanks again jdobbs for the great guide.

Gus.

jdobbs

do you include the VOB file VTS_xx_0 in your calculation?

I am trying to back-up Shrek, abd VTS_01_0 is 669,074 byte: it makes a huge difference if I need to include it in my calculatiopns or ignore it…

Please advise.

Thanks.

Gus.

No, don’t count it. The _0 file contains only menus and/or extras so it would be included in the “SMALL” directory and shrunk to match any other extras.