Different brands of Maxell DVD-R's?

vbimport

Was wondering about Maxell dvd-r’s, specifically the ones Walgreens sell.

I have long used their Design Series 2, and regular silver finish cd-r’s with great results. I don’t analyze burn quality like ya’ll do here, but I almost never get a coaster with them, and in using them 5-10 years I have yet to run across an old one that will not still play(unless majorly scratched). Anyways I have been very happy with their cd-r’s, which I can’t really say about some Sony’s from said store.

Now I’m going to try their dvd-r’s, but I noticed something different about them. Where both of the cd-r’s are listed as being made in Taiwan, with the dvd-r’s they have a 15 pack spindle that is listed as made in Taiwan, but the 25 pack is listed as being made in China.

Are these different dvd’s?
From different manufacturers?
Anyone use them?

Thanks in advance.

(p.s. - The dvd+r’s are also listed as being from China)

Yo-

Nowdays - Maxell subs out all its media. Best bet is to use Taiyo Yuden discs available at:

www.rima.com and www.supermediastore.com and www.meritline.com

Happy burning-eh.

Same as will BD-R there are not a lot of companys that make the discs from start to finish for people to buy in the stores. Most have just sold the brand name and can then be used by others, this fools the consumer into thinking it’s good media you are buying.

Rather nasty by the industry to do this.

Îœost recent maxell CD/DVD media are made by Ritek in Taiwan or China with Ritek MID and are always A’grade media.Taiwan Maxell media are more hard to find due cost, but also may have Maxell or Ricoh MID.

Maxell B’grade media sold in bulk packages are usually CMC

Unbranded Maxell bulk packages may have UME MID (also many fake discs)

Finally if you find Maxell made in Japan discs ,there are from old stock and may have Maxell ot TY MID

Some old stock 8x Maxell DVD+/-R was wrongly labeled Made in Japan and is RITEK G05, btw.

[QUOTE=Gary Kokkin;2628133]
Finally if you find Maxell made in Japan discs ,there are from old stock and may have Maxell ot TY MID[/QUOTE]

I miss those :sad:cedre, if you ever spot any of the MIJ ones, snap them up :wink:

[QUOTE=kg_evilboy;2628134]Some old stock 8x Maxell DVD+/-R was wrongly labeled Made in Japan and is RITEK G05, btw.[/QUOTE]

:iagree:…got burned (haha) by those -Rs myself, thankfully only a 5-pack.