Different audio extraction?

vbimport

Hi, has anyone tried listening carefully to cds (copied from the same original cd) burned with different software?

Using tayo yuden and mitsui discs what i usually get is a brighter sound and less bass using feurio and a stronger bass on the discs recorded with nero. I suppose it's the audio extraction that differs.. can it be anything else?
I've noticed this with my plextor 40/12/40 and with my sony 10 4 32.

Has anyone experienced the same?

Cheers

I suppose it’s the audio extraction that differs… can it be anything else?

It shouldn’t happen.
To check if it’s the extraction, you only have to extract one track from those CDs and use “Compare WAVs” Tool from EAC.
They should be equal…

If they are equal and sound different maybe it’s a matter of autosuggestion or maybe the player has better compatibility with one CDR, so it reads less errors (so less interpolation).

I don’t know if those programs can calibrate the laser differently for the same media. I don’t think so…

Let us know if the WAVs are the same.

If the source is MP3 then the results will be different because Feurio has an ISO compliant decoder based on Fraunhoffer and Nero not (it’s worse).

perhaps you can try the lame codec…
(you can use it with Feurio and EAC)

and then do the listening test again

The source is audio cd. I have just tried to compare the waves after the extraction and they’re the same. well, 491 samples on one of the tracks are missing… i suppose that could to be related with the reading offset of the recorder…
But, that wouldn’t explain the hearing differences. It can be autosuggestion… still it’s strange.
I’ll do a little more testing and then let you know.

Anyway, if anyone has similar experiences please post them :slight_smile:

¿one track 491 samples shorter? (1 sector = 588 samples)

It shouldn’t be the offset I’d say (depends on hardware I think. Maybe different speed. Also reading/writing from leadin and leadout depends on hardware mostly I think). Which track?
Maybe it’s another bug I didn’t know.
If you’re bored you could compare with the original CD to see which program failed.
I bet on Nero :slight_smile:
And if it’s Feurio I’d like to know it…

If the media is from the same box it could be autosuggestion… I don’t think it’s possible so much difference with the same media, maybe a bad sample, but I don’t think so…

Originally posted by minix
[B]¿one track 491 samples shorter? (1 sector = 588 samples)

It shouldn’t be the offset I’d say (depends on hardware I think. Maybe different speed. Also reading/writing from leadin and leadout depends on hardware mostly I think). Which track?
Maybe it’s another bug I didn’t know.
If you’re bored you could compare with the original CD to see which program failed.
I bet on Nero :slight_smile:
And if it’s Feurio I’d like to know it…

[/B]

well… my mistake. I had forgotten the kill digital silence in feurio… so… some digital silence got killed :stuck_out_tongue:

I rerun the test. Extracted a track with feurio and nero and compared them with EAC and no diference has been found.

I then recorded the tracks with both programs on a cd-rw and extracted each track with the program that had extracted it from the original cd.
Well… at the end no diference was found with EAC. I maybe going mad :confused:

Thanks anyway :slight_smile:

some digital silence got killed

Oh, yes, I always forgot that point… I always let it disabled.

I maybe going mad

Well, it’s that :wink:
or your player reads too many errors in one disc because of poor compatibility or bad CDR, and the interpolation makes that different sound…