Differences from anydvd and anydvd ripper

is there difference from anydvd and anydvd ripper?

The ripper is part of AnyDVD.

The AnyDVD “Ripper” will only ‘rip’ a FULL image , decrypted of course ,
of the source disc on to your hard-drive .
You will then need to select this ‘movie’ folder as your "SOURCE"
for ( Your Program ) to compress .

If there is something wrong with the DVD ,
scratched , damaged or loaded with improper VOBs ,
The “RIPPER” may be able repair the DVD on it’s way to the hard-drive .

If the DVD is in need of ‘re structuring’ ( invalid VOBs ; “unreferenced material” )
the “RIPPER” is also able to to do this .
( “Half Light” , “Bambi II” , “Flight Plan” , “Walk the Line” , “The Ice Harvest” , etc. )
These are the reasons I have found to use the “RIPPER” most useful .
( to remove/restructure : “unreferenced material” , “blank cells” , “error zones” , “invalid VOBUs” )

If you receive a “Read Error” message ,while using the "RIPPER"
Select "Continue , Ignoring Further Read Errors"
The “RIPPER” will continue ‘fixing’ the movie .

But no promises , If the disc can not be “Read” by the AnyDVD “Ripper” ,
I would acquire a different source disc .

To use the "Ripper"
Insert Disc
Allow AnyDVD to recognize the disc
Close your “DVD Player” , Close the AnyDVD"Show Information" window
Right click on 'FOX" icon in your ‘sys tray’
select 'Rip Video-DVD to Harddisk…'
Navigate and Select your “source drive/burner” as "SOURCE"
Create a HD Folder and select it as "DESTINATION"
Select "COPY DVD"
The AnyDVD ripper may be able to repair the DVD
as it’s being ripped to your Hard-Drive .

When finished 'ripping’
Select the HD Folder created above as your "Source"
Your burner as “Destination”
( program used ) will compress from this folder and then burn to disc .

Hard-Drive ‘free’ space may become an issue
while adding this extra ‘ripper’ step .
If you have at least 13gb+/- free , you’ll be fine .
( 8.5 + 4.3 = 12.8 )

A good disc takes about 10-15 mins ,
It depends on the extent of read errors , if any .
If it has to keep ‘re trying’ , somewhat longer .

They gave it to us for a reason .
In my own personal experience - It definitely works .

Before you ask , I’ll answer your next question ;

The "Option to Remove unreferenced and blank cells"
in the AnyDVD ripper :
“To Remove ?” or “Not Remove?” …that is the question .

[color=darkgreen]5.9.1.1, 2006 02 15
- New: Added “AnyDVD Ripper”. This little tool repairs defective DVDs
while copying them to your harddisk. It can be started from the menu of
the AnyDVD fox icon. It can be started as a stand alone application from
the start menu as well, so it can be used even if AnyDVD is not registered
and the trial period has expired.
It is identical to FixVTS but instead
of fixing problems “in place” it copies the files to your harddisk directly
from the source DVD. It fixes the problems while the files are copied.
Some DVDs which have severe mastering defects e.g.,
“Menace II Society” R1 (US) can now be copied with all DVD copy tools
(elby CloneDVD, DVDShrink, etc.) Many thanks to the author of FixVTS ![/color]
[color=darkgreen]5.9.5.2, 2006 04 03
- New: Added option to remove unreferenced and blank cells to the
AnyDVD ripper (enabled by default)[/color]
[color=darkgreen]5.9.5.7, 2006 04 21
- Change: The option to remove unreferenced and blank cells in the
AnyDVD ripper is now disabled by default[/color]

I usually use the AnyDVD"RIPPER" with this setting ENabled .
I have not run into the case where the actual ‘removal’ of these blank/unreferenced cells
has caused an adverse effect in the “RE authoring” of a DVD .
I believe SlySoft set it - Disabled as default ;
To prevent the accidental use of this feature -
resulting in the undesired deletion of necessary components
sometimes ‘hidden’ within these "blank/unreferenced cells"
Similar to the result as described here :
[color=darkgreen]5.9.5.3, 2006 04 04
- Fix: Bug introduced in 5.9.5.2, on some DVDs title sets could
be accidentally deleted (AnyDVD mistook them as decoys from the newest
SONY ArccoS protections)[/color]

Hope that answers the question .
:slight_smile:

thank you for your help

[QUOTE=shannon90210]The AnyDVD “Ripper” will only ‘rip’ a FULL image , decrypted of course ,
of the source disc on to your hard-drive .
You will then need to select this ‘movie’ folder as your "SOURCE"
for ( Your Program ) to compress .

If there is something wrong with the DVD ,
scratched , damaged or loaded with improper VOBs ,
The “RIPPER” may be able repair the DVD on it’s way to the hard-drive .

Hello Folks,

The “AnyDVD Ripper” will NOT correct Read Errors induced by “Scratched” DVD.

The below is an exact direct quotation from the AnyDVD version 5.9.1.1 (15 Feb 06) change log when the “AnyDVD Ripper” function was added to AnyDVD software program.

“New: Added “AnyDVD Ripper”. This little tool repairs defective DVDs while copying them to your harddisk. It can be started from the menu of the AnyDVD fox icon. It can be started as a stand alone application from
the start menu as well, so it can be used even if AnyDVD is not registered and the trial period has expired. It is identical to FixVTS (http://www.videohelp.com/~FixVTS/) but instead of fixing problems “in place” it copies the files to your harddisk directly from the source DVD. It fixes the problems while the files are copied. Some DVDs which have severe mastering defects e.g., “Menace II Society” R1 (US) can now be copied with all DVD copy tools (elby CloneDVD, DVDShrink, etc.) Many thanks to the author of FixVTS!”

The function of the “AnyDVD Ripper” is to repair/fix “Mastering Defects” errors by using the FixVTs software program. The function of the AnyDVD Ripper is not to repair or fix Read Errors induced by a “Scratched” DVD. Suggest viewing the below link to the FixVTs Home Page which explains in detail the functions and capabilities of the FixVTs software program. By closely reading the functions and capabilities of the FixVTs software program you will see that the FixVTs software program does nothing to improve/fix/repair Read Errors of a Scratched DVD.

http://www.videohelp.com/~FixVTS/

Best Regards,
bjkg

@bjkg,

As I also include your posted quote in my posting ,
I will have to say that in-fact it does .
Depending on the extent of the damage , of course .

I have come across a few badly scratched discs ,
UNrippable with normal programs ( Sonic ) ,
‘Read Errors’ verified with VSO Inspector .

The AnyDVD ripper was able to RIP to HDD ,
and then produce an undetectable playing DVD
from a scratched , skipping , hardly playable DVD
If the damage was more severe you might get a slight 'bleep’
but for the most part , and of course , considering the damage ,
I would have to disagree…

and say …um …Yes , it will . :iagree:

Again ,
:clap: … At least in my experiance .

Bjkg is correct, insofar as the purpose of Anydvd ripper is not to brute force rip through scratches. If that’s what you’re interested in doing, Decrypter, for one, is a better choice.

Clonedvd2 also allows up to 20 read retries for scratched discs.

The fact that Anydvd ripper allowed you to rip a scratched disc may be indicative of little more than the success you might have had by chance with another program on a subsequent reattempt at ripping.

There’s little evidence presented so far to suggest to me that Anydvd ripper was produced to brute force rip through scratches.

Although that may not have been the actual reference of what can be done, (back-up scratched DVDs that cannot be backed-up by other copying programs due to the read errors) The fact that it can cannot be refuted unless you have actually tried it yourself.

There have been only two discs that I couldn’t back-up with the basic programs. One was a copy of Maid In Mahattan that has no extra encryption protection than the normal, and The 6th Sense, also with no extra protection.

Maid in Manhattan was severely srcatched but could playback, however when trying to copy the DVD with Shrink, 1Click, CloneDVD, DVD D, yada, yada, yada… Non could get it ripped. Then AnyDVD added their ripper, so i tried it and forced it thru the unreadable sectors, and whalla, it produced a playable back-up.

The 6th Sense was stained by some chemical that one of my kids obviously spilled on it and never cleaned it and it produce read errors to the point that it would freeze even during normal playback. Tried AnyDVD Ripper and it ‘tried’ to force it’s way thru all the read errors but after about a 100 of them, I quit because it was taking too long. That of course would not have worked anyway, but if there are a few scratches that cause normal rippers to fail, AnyDVD Ripper ‘can’ get it done.

I am speaking my own ‘actual’ experience. :cool: :wink:

i think your reader/burner has alot to do with reading a scratched dvd cause i personaly never used the ripper function of anydvd…(knocking on my desk)…lol

And WHAT, exactly are you knocking on your desk with, may I ask?? :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: LOL

I have tried it myself. When Anydvd ripper hits a read error, you’ll see the estimated time remaining shoot up dramatically (due to the drive read speed dropping). I agree that Anydvd ripper will attempt to rip scratched discs; I doubt, however, that’s the intended purpose of the program, and it seems to me, again, that if ripping through scratches is something you want to shorten the lifespan of your optical drive by doing (and I tend to use cheap dvd-rom drives that I don’t care about when testing scratched discs), then decrypter, from my experience, produces a better and faster rip (when scratches are involved).

By the way, I am surprised Clonedvd2 failed to rip something that Anydvd ripper was able to–unless, of course, you were using a version of Clonedvd2 that was older than 2.8.8.1.

Anyway, maybe James/Slysoft will jump in and tell us if there’s any advantage of using Anydvd ripper for scratched discs instead of Clonedvd2, Clonecd, and Decrypter, for that matter. I would be interested in his response, actually.

Yeah, but that’s only because FixVTS differs from Anydvd ripper in that FixVTS isn’t a ripper.