OKâ€¦ First, I in no way disagree with those who know a LOT more than I do when they say that the VS0A firmware for the 832S and the US0Q firmware for the 812S are the same with simply the removal of the DL codes. They know what they are talking about and I am no one to argue with experts.
But I have found some interesting anomalies and I figured I would share them since I have spent a lot of time trying to figure this out and trashed more than a few discs.
First, all the burns are done on a Liteon 812S and are done on Ritek R03 type 2 discs. These discs are unusual in that they are clearly marked â€œ4Xâ€ on the surface but the media ID shows up as â€œR03â€. When I burn these at 8X using any of the four firmwares I tried all the PI errors were way up (300-600) so I gave up any 8X burning. When I went to the stock US0Q firmware with no Omnipatcher fixes I got errors in the 60s and when I put in the patch that set the burn code to TY02 I got the errors down to the teens. I was content, and very glad that this drive allowed lots of firmware updates.
I then double checked all the posts and was told that the VS0A firmware was written first and then just modified for the 812S as the US0Q. Great, I thought, and flashed again. I then went to burn another R03 at 4X and found, to my surprise errors in the 400s again. I flashed again to US0Q and these errors dropped down to the teens where they should be.
I am eternally grateful for the guys who write Omnipatcher and all these code patches and I have had a lot of fun fine tuning this drive for these R03s since they were a great price. I figure the trashed discs are a low price to pay for what is basically a hobby. Maybe I just have some really weird R03s. Who knows; I just thought I would share.