Differences between TS-L632P and TS-L632H?

vbimport

Does anyone know what differences there are between the TS-L632H and the TS-L632P? The TS-L632P came in a Toshiba laptop that I just bought, and I’m interested in all this crossflashing goodness but I can’t seem to find a reference to the P variant anywhere on the web. For what it’s worth, the TS-L632P is a Labelflash drive (it looks like the TS-L632H doesn’t have Labelflash?).

No idea about the differences…as reckless as this may seem, can you afford to try the 632H/082H firmwares and see if your drive still works? [If not, you should still be able to flash back to 632P firmware, as I believe these drives all have a safe mode in which the firmware version will appear to be BOOT, allowing you to re-attempt/re-flash the drive without too much heartache].

This would let us know if there is a significant hardware difference…no guts, no glory, eh? :wink:

I’m normally pretty gutsy when it comes to firmware upgrades/crossflashes with my desktop components, but I’d have to say that voiding the warranty of an entire laptop has given me pause. :stuck_out_tongue: If someone can verify that the TS-L632H has this BOOT safe mode, then I might be willing to give it a shot. However, since I can’t find any TS-L632P firmwares anywhere, it looks like I wouldn’t be able to revert back if anything went wrong.

632P firmware can be found on Toshiba’s site, and if Toshiba’s site is down, I downloaded it [just in case ;)].

A Google search, because I’m not confident that hot-linking to Toshiba’s website will work so well: http://www.google.com/search?q=TS-L632P [3rd link from the last]

As far as the BOOT safeguard is concerned…they’re had that feature on their drives since at least 2005. I cannot currently provide a link for any of the numerous bad slim drive flash threads I’ve found, but I’m pretty confident it exists in the 632P/632H.

Hmm, I must have made a typo when I was googling the drive (either that or I need to take a tutorial on how to use google). I might give it a shot later (I actually haven’t even opened the box yet). I’m assuming that if I have to use the BOOT functionality, then the drive will just show up in Windows and all I have to do is flash it with the old firmware?

That’s correct, yes. :slight_smile:

Hi,[quote=AZImmortal;2118198]Does anyone know what differences there are between the TS-L632H and the TS-L632P? [/quote]No idea.

… For what it’s worth, the TS-L632P is a Labelflash drive (it looks like the TS-L632H doesn’t have Labelflash?).
Have you verified the presence of the Labelflash feature?
Labeflash has been unique to Nec and Pioneer drives with Nec chipset. So a Mediatek based drive with Labelflash is a surprise for me (if verified present).
I personally would not try to crossflash, since the 632P might have slightly different hardware.

Michael

Sorry for not following up on this sooner; I’ve been busy with work transitions. I actually no longer have the laptop because I returned it after finding a better deal on another laptop elsewhere, but according to these specs, the included writer is a Labelflash drive. I never opened the box, but the store’s display model included a TS-L632P. I was also surprised to see the Labelflash claim given the fact that it’s a TS drive.