Differences between 40x & 48x at lower speeds?

vbimport

Hello,
I have a 40x on the way. Although I'm generally the type that likes to overclock things, I'm wondering if it's worthwhile in this case. The vast majority of the burning I do is audio CDs. From what I've seen of the various reviews of the 40x & 48x burners, it seems to me that it may be worth while to burn at slower speeds (32x, or even slower?) in the hopes of increasing the write quality (and therefore hopefully reduce errors, jitter, etc.).

So my question is: at lower write speeds (40x & below), has anyone compared the performance of the drive at a stock 40x, & "overclocked" to 48x? From the reading I've done, it seems lite-on still has some work to do with the firmware. Are the firmwares identical for the 40x & 48x at 40x speeds & below? If they ARE identical, then it seems that I could overclock, and have the OPTION of burning at 48x, and have lost nothing at lower speeds. I haven't seen any good comparisons of the 40x & 48x at lower speeds. For comparisons, this is assuming the newer firmwares for the 40x that enable p-cav & Mt. Rainier.

Thanks!

With firmware VS01 and VS02 for the LTR-48125W the drive always starts at 22X writing (the LTR-40125 only starts at 19X).

With firmware VS04 and VS06 it starts writing at 19X just like the LTR-40125 (except 48X writing where it starts at 22X).

For me LTR-48125W and VS02 firmware have been rock solid at 32X writing with newer media types. 40X is ok most of the time while 48X may be troublesome…

interesting…i wanted to know this too:bigsmile: …

Originally posted by OC-Freak
[B]With firmware VS01 and VS02 for the LTR-48125W the drive always starts at 22X writing (the LTR-40125 only starts at 19X).

With firmware VS04 and VS06 it starts writing at 19X just like the LTR-40125 (except 48X writing where it starts at 22X).[/b]

Thanks for the info! So, based on your post here, combined with the above data, I’m assuming that with speed settings of 24x & higher and VS01 or VS02 the LTR-48125W starts at 22X and increases until it reaches the speed that you have it set at then levels off (in a typical P-CAV curve), so each speed 24x & higher is basically identical except the flat spot starts earlier with the slower speed settings? And to take this a step further, with VS01 & 02, at a speed setting of 24x, it’s ALMOST like CLV, as there is only a short period of increasing linear velocity (from a starting point of 22x to a “max” of 24x)?

For me LTR-48125W and VS02 firmware have been rock solid at 32X writing with newer media types. 40X is ok most of the time while 48X may be troublesome…

So would you guess that the error rates for LTR-48125W & LTR-40125 are the same as long as they are running at the same speed? I know many have suggested that these drives need some further firmware adjustments to improve the error rates, just wondering if the firmwares for each drive have similar performance if operated at the same speed. Looking at the release dates of the firmware for these drives, seems like they’re due for another… any rumors of further updates?

Thanks again for the info! :slight_smile: