Difference betwen 9600Pro an FX5900

Hi guys :slight_smile:

Just bought a Sapphire 9600Pro to replace my old and trustworthy Chaintech GF2Ti which has served me well and without any complaints.

The problem is that although i do see a big difference in numbers (ie 3DMark et) i fail to see any big differences in perfomance while playing games. I am feeling a bit bitter right now having spent 200E and not being able to play some games with more options than i used to play them with the GF2Ti card.

I can return the card to the store and spent 100E more to get the 5900 (either Chaintech, Albatron or Asus), but i am not sure whether it will be worth it. Any thoughts? The 9800Pro is out of reach unfortunately, more than 200E price difference.

avoid 5900 if you can and go for 9800 pro!!!I just don’t trust Nvidia anymore!!!

Ati…:bow:

Thanx , well i guess i’ll go rob a bank now then :wink:

Well the 9800 non-pro is available for about 275 euro’s in the Netherlands, so that shouldn’t be much of a problem, but the performance of the 9600pro should be way better than this. I don’t know what’s causing this, but you might want to check several things before returning the card: are the settings of the games correct, did you update directx, did you try the latest drivers and remove the old drivers etc etc?

Have tried both the official Ati drivers and the omega drivers as well. Dont get me wrong as i said i have seen a big difference while benchmarking (10429 in 3DMark 2001 and 3756 in 03) but not that nuch while playing games. The card works alright the problem is i am rather not satisfied.

The 9800 np is not a choice cauze as you said it will definetely perform worse than the 9600 Pro (although i heard some SE editions can be soft modded to reach almost Pro perfomance). The question is whether the perfomance increase i will get by getting an FX5900 justifies spending a 100E more.

Hemi: you understoond me wrong… I meant to say that the 9600pro should perform better than I thought it was doing. The 9800np should perform about the same as the 9700 pro, and thus the 9600pro by far…

Sorry… :wink:

The 9800 np is not a choice cauze as you said it will definetely perform worse than the 9600 Pro

the 9800np is a much better performer than the 9600pro, which can be seen in this review.

i have a 9600 pro and am able to up the features to INSANE levels. ut2003 said ‘holy shit’ when i bumped up the effects.

things to consider:

1. use the ATI drivers only.
  2. make sure your mobo is set to accept 8x AGP if possible.
  3. use directx 9b (or most recent)
  4. older programs may nor take advantage of the new features on the card yet.
  5. anti alising and ansioscopic filtering improve image quality. experimint until you get suitable frames in the ‘action scenes’
  6. your processor may be holding back your video card performance. you said you had a gf2 before.
  7. more ram is better. dirt cheap and reduces cd swapping
  8. some games like vice city cant look insalely good even on max resolution and FSAA 8x/Ansioscopic 16x

Originally posted by AZImmortal
the 9800np is a much better performer than the 9600pro, which can be seen in this review.
My mistake then, thought it was less of a performer, never thought of it as an option.

Originally posted by AZImmortal
Hemi: you understoond me wrong… I meant to say that the 9600pro should perform better than I thought it was doing. The 9800np should perform about the same as the 9700 pro, and thus the 9600pro by far…
Apparently i did. As i said the card is working ok, dont think that anything is holding it back (XP2200+, 512 PC3200 etc).

Thing is i managed to find some time to check it out with some other games too, cauze as oab suggested some applications (benchmarks, games) might not take full advantage of all its features. Tested with Unreal II, TRAOD, CMR2 and i get decent frames with most settings on, especially after OCing the card to 505/340. I think i’ll probably keep the card afterall and save some money for that 811 Litie or maybe the Plexie :wink:
Besides from what i heard the FXs have problems with DX9 plus they have been currently set aside by many game devellopers, leaving them way behind for now.

You have made the right choice. When newer games are released, I’m sure you’ll be happy to see your 9600P handling them well. There are tons of info regarding ATI optimization. Do a search and you can find a lot.

DirectX story is true regarding Nvidia. If you are planning to play Halflife upcoming version, ATI is the right choice.

Happy gaming.