Difference between TYG02 & TYG02 value line?

vbimport

hi! I just bought these: http://www.blankmedia.ca/proddetail3.asp?id=421
they’re TYG02 so I was wondering what’s the difference between them and these: http://www.blankmedia.ca/proddetail3.asp?id=303
???

The value line can either be 8x TYG02 or 16x TYG03. Most have reported that the 16x TYG03 don’t scan as well so that is a consideration. In addition the value line discs in general tend to have higher errors. With my premium TYG02 I usually am below 500 total PIF. With my value line TYG02 I average about 1500 PIF although it isn’t uncommon for me to see 3-5K PIF scores. This in and of itself has been enough to convince me not to buy them anymore. Not saying they aren’t decent discs, but there definitely is a difference for most people.

It’s important to note that it’s the luck of the draw with the Value Line – you can’t choose TYG02 or TYG03… you just have to take your chances. The Value Line are usually shrink wrapped and don’t ship with a spindle like the premium.

Yup, sorry if I made that confusing it is a gamble with which one you end up with under the value line.

Under 500 ? Wow, that’s high even for premiums :slight_smile: I must be the luckiest person here - I usually get under 150 PIF total, and some times even under 100PIF totals. With PIE maximums of 2 - 4 with averages <4. I also own both value and premium and I get EXCELLENT results with value line. The value line media have not passed TY’s quality testing (although I always LAUGH at this - nonetheless, the values don’t pass TY’s strict requirements, but they are by all means very good media compared to what is sold today).
Example, some value lines 16x might be certified to write at 8x. Personally I have some TYG02, those should burn fine at 8x. The TYG03 should burn fine at 8x. The value lines will have a higher total PIE /PIF and a higher PIE maximum value (in my case <20) they are still far within specs.

value line TYG02 I average about 1500 PIF although it isn’t uncommon for me to see 3-5K PIF scores.

Still that is unusually high for that media. I have not gone over 150 totals for PIF and most of the time get <100 total count. I have never burnt media with 4 digit PIF totals other than the Maxell MIJ. For value line I have never exceeded the 350-400 PIF totals at worst.

This in and of itself has been enough to convince me not to buy them anymore. Not saying they aren’t decent discs, but there definitely is a difference for most people.

[/quote]

Are your PIF evenly spread across the disc or do you have clusters ? I would really not worry about an evenly spread high total, eventhough it is unusual for Taiyo Yudens, look at the individual maximums, if your total is high but your maximums are 1-2 you are just fine, I would not hold off buying the value line because of that, they are still very good discs. Try using Online Hypertuning on those discs, it should help, in many cases, and give better burns.

One thing to be careful with the value line is the variable quality between batches, and sometimes within the same spindle, there is no garantee, you might not get consistently good media across the entire batch.

You are wrong ! The premium line also ships shrink wrapped. I order a large volume of those and both the value and premium come shrink wrapped (talking about the unbranded type) the type sold from blankmedia.ca is unbranded and comes in shrink wrap, premium & value. The CD-Rs come with a cakebox, not the DVDs.

^they sent me the value line ty dvd-r’s in a cake box, same as the ty cd-r’s…
thanks everybody for the infos
can I test the pif error rate without nero tools?