Difference between two SONY DVD+R 16X model

I recently came across these two packages with same content, but different price and pictures. However, I cannot tell the difference between the two. Does anyone know the difference other than price and appearance? http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Recordable-Storage-Spindle-100/dp/B0007PN5N2/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1294901849&sr=1-2 http://www.amazon.com/Sony-16x-Media-100pk-spindle/dp/B000EHYQAY/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1294901849&sr=1-3

If you look closely at this address you posted http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Recordable-Storage-Spindle-100/dp/B0007PN5N2/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1294901849&sr=1-2 you might notice that an F.Lau received something a little different to what he/she was expecting … look at the second image…

If I may be so bold, I will ask why you, posting a question on a site with hardcore nerds dedicated to buying the best media & getting the best results, and finding the best (reliable) online places to buy said best quality media cheaply … that you are gambling on your media at Amazon, where the prices seem quite ordinary anyway ??? :confused:

Just for a case in point -> http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000EHYQAY/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1294901849&sr=1-3&condition=used

I’d have expected that “Used” media is useless, because it’s already been burned … unless you’re hoping for a real bargain because said “Used” media seller has put something on those “used” media that you really wanted, especially for $10 more than a new spindle :wink:

I’ve ran through local stores without luck for Sony spindle with octagonal spacer and I’m running out of blank DVD+R. Since those DVD+R on Amazon are sold by different vendors, I was trying to see if there is anyway you can tell if any are made by TY. I think there has got to be some differences (MIJ/MIT?) when you have same content with different price and package. The reviews are two sided and it’s possible that they bought from different vendor, but their burners and PC are additional factor to the results.

Sony hasn’t sold disks made by Taiyo Yuden in years. I don’t think I’ve seen any 16x Sony made by TY. And Sony seems to have drifted down into the mediocre range of dvd media lately…no different from the Imation group of companies.

Taiyo Yuden is only manufactured in Japan, so that is one good way to determine if they are TY when purchasing disks, but TY distributes their disks under their own brand That’s and under the JVC Premium line. You can also get generic Taiyo Yuden online.

You can find the TY/JVC disks at amazon, but if you are in the US, I’d prefer to order from rima.com or supermediastore.com.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2569191]Sony hasn’t sold disks made by Taiyo Yuden in years. I don’t think I’ve seen any 16x Sony made by TY. And Sony seems to have drifted down into the mediocre range of dvd media lately…no different from the Imation group of companies.

Taiyo Yuden is only manufactured in Japan, so that is one good way to determine if they are TY when purchasing disks, but TY distributes their disks under their own brand That’s and under the JVC Premium line. You can also get generic Taiyo Yuden online.

You can find the TY/JVC disks at amazon, but if you are in the US, I’d prefer to order from rima.com or supermediastore.com.[/QUOTE]

why is it that on supermediastor.com JVC Taiyo Yuden White Inkjet Hub Printable 16X DVD+R Media 100 Pack in Tape Wrap is more expensive than JVC Taiyo Yuden Silver Thermal Lacquer 16X DVD+R Media 100 Pack in Cake Box? I thought cake box is a safer package than tape wrap?

[QUOTE=supercoolman;2569317]why is it that on supermediastor.com JVC Taiyo Yuden White Inkjet Hub Printable 16X DVD+R Media 100 Pack in Tape Wrap is more expensive than JVC Taiyo Yuden Silver Thermal Lacquer 16X DVD+R Media 100 Pack in Cake Box? I thought cake box is a safer package than tape wrap?[/QUOTE]

The key description explaining the difference in price is “Inkjet Hub Printable”. Hub printable disks tend to be more expensive.

If I were ordering TY, I’d get the 8x +R disks. Personal preference.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2569319]The key description explaining the difference in price is “Inkjet Hub Printable”. Hub printable disks tend to be more expensive.

If I were ordering TY, I’d get the 8x +R disks. Personal preference.[/QUOTE]

I somehow missed that ink jet printable part XD I need cakebox, but I hate Shiny Silver Thermal with lots of finger prints too. That makes 8X DVD+R printable in cakebox the only viable option for me… This is why I don’t like to directly buy TY blank media. Not enough options

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2569191]I don’t think I’ve seen any 16x Sony made by TY.[/QUOTE]

They used to make it. 16x DVD-R only. I’ve got some of it. Hasn’t been around for years.

Used to get it cheap at Staples in the states when they had lots of $10off$20 coupons.

Here are pics with my phone cam.

I happened across a few spindles of the Sony TYG03 back in the day. Decent quality stuff.

EDIT Went back and found some scans, that stuff was frackin’ GOOD!

[QUOTE=negritude;2569913]They used to make it. 16x DVD-R only. I’ve got some of it. Hasn’t been around for years.

Used to get it cheap at Staples in the states when they had lots of $10off$20 coupons.[/QUOTE]

-R only. That’s probably the reason I missed them when they were available. I haven’t bought -R disks since Maxell quit manufacturing disks in Japan.

Do u guys tried VERBATIM DVD RW?

[QUOTE=sach92;2570104]Do u guys tried VERBATIM DVD RW?[/QUOTE]

Yes - what do you want to know?