Difference between two optical pickups

vbimport

I have a Benq 1640 oem and a Philips DVDR1640 which is similar a Benq 1620.
The 1640 is having trouble writing at 12/16x and either making the disc coasters or writing at 2x. DMA is on. No problems reading at full speed though. I’m wondering if I can replace the pickup with the one from the Philips 1640. At a visual inspection the two seem to be the same.
Does anyone know if they are the exact same model? Would this work?

Nobody?
I thought there are some hardcore optical freaks in here.

Yes. I think you can. They are actually the same. Both use Philips OPU66.42 model OPU

If they are exactly the same part number then it should be OK. (Have you tried cleaning the lens on the old OPU carefully with isopropyl alcohol?)

But be aware that optical drives contain unique calibration information in their EEPROM, so after changing the OPU your drive will no longer be correctly calibrated.

Hopefully it won’t make much difference (I’ve exchanged OPUs on a couple of PX716s without any problems), but often it can cause severe writing problems. If that is the case try using Solidburn (set to on for known media), which is very good at creating its own write strategy.

The issue you speak of seems to be moderately well known & might persist after cleaning, but it also might not (if you haven’t done it already).

The swap might be worth it. Just be careful to firmly attach all cables, but delicately disconnect things as you go along.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2784360]If they are exactly the same part number then it should be OK. (Have you tried cleaning the lens on the old OPU carefully with isopropyl alcohol?)

But be aware that optical drives contain unique calibration information in their EEPROM, so after changing the OPU your drive will no longer be correctly calibrated.

Hopefully it won’t make much difference (I’ve exchanged OPUs on a couple of PX716s without any problems), but often it can cause severe writing problems. If that is the case try using Solidburn (set to on for known media), which is very good at creating its own write strategy.[/QUOTE]

The same part number means that they are identical?
Yes i have but it didn’t help.

I thought the EEPROM is stored in the firmware and it should not make any difference if i use a OPU of the same model.

[QUOTE=Albert;2784363]The issue you speak of seems to be moderately well known & might persist after cleaning, but it also might not (if you haven’t done it already).
[/QUOTE]

What do you mean?
Is this a known Benq issue or in general?
What is causing this? I mean the reading part is just fine at full speed.

Let me apologize & correct myself.

I was thinking about a separate issue where, for whatever reason, a BenQ drive will refuse to read discs at full speed but will write with seemingly no issue. I confused myself, though it’s possible you’re encountering something similar.

Do let us know how the OPU swap works. :slight_smile:

Decided not to swap OPU’s for the moment since i could easily get a replacement drive, also OEM.
Retail Benq’s are as rare as hen’s teeth here and what i found on Ebay is either too expensive or not shipping here.
I really need a Benq 1655 retail in my life. :frowning: