Difference between these 2 Lite-On burners?

vbimport

I was thinking of getting a Lite-on drive for doing quality scans of BD-R and DVD-R media. I noticed that Newegg has 2 different versions of the same drive with discrepency in prices. What is the difference between these 2 and how does the cheaper one (IHBS112-04 ) ?

IHBS112-04
IHBS112-29

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008606&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&CompareItemList=600|27-106-369^27-106-369-TS%2C27-106-346^27-106-346-TS

I have both, and the biggest difference is that a slight change to the chipset or EEprom with the newer -04 was causing a problem with ODC quality scanning. A clever member solved this for us here. It is quite easy to make it work.

They have proven to be the best BD rippers for me as well.

Thank you deanwitty. So the 04 is actually the newer one? So without that trick it will not do quality scanning?

[QUOTE=Thrasher;2626232]Thank you deanwitty. So the 04 is actually the newer one? So without that trick it will not do quality scanning?[/QUOTE]

You’re welcome. Yes, the 04 is the newest version. Pretty remarkable that kth came up with that workaround. The top speed box normally has nothing to do with the quality scan function. But with this drive, you simply click start, wait till the drive spins up, and select your scanning speed in the top box. You do not need lightning fast reflexes to time it perfectly :). Just casually click the top speed selection box, choose your speed, and it scans. Not a problem.

What about Samsung SH-B123L combo drive? Is it equally good for scanning or is Lite-On the preferred choice? According to another thread only specific FW allows quality scans on the Samsung. Has this been resolved by now or do I still need that specific firmware for the quality scan to work?