Difference between resetting LEARNT media and resetting HYPER tuning

Wots the difference between resetting LEARNT media and resetting HYPER tuning !? Also, is resetting HYPER tuning more dangerous through that EEPROM utility!? I also like to know, why burns get wurse over time!? I mean, isnt the learning curve media = midcode related like ive read in certain posts!? I mean, doesnt the drive learn those strategys based purely on formats like DL+R/-R, DVD+R+/-R, DVD-R etc u know. Because, by now ive burned many DL verbatims mkm001 (most on 2,4x) whit SB_OHT or SB_HT_OHT = on all sort of combos!!! Now, from through out my scans the ones i burned whit SB_OHT and HT enabled wos the best based on average, max, etc errors… Now, i few weeks later i try the very same batch dual layerd verbatims whit the setting SB_OHT_HT. And i gett horrible PIF results of arround 30 - 70 :eek: ( ill show u whit some pics afterwards)
I took especialy 2 burns to be sure of this. But to no vail, all scans looks similar (horrific). But then i disabled HT, and OHT, just leaving SB on and the results were all of an sudden much much better… but still wurse then that one specific burn i took weeks earlier. And now i like to explain why i think that this learning curve is not midcode related but rather related to just a BLank Format!! Between that Good verbatim burn (weeks ago) and that bAD verbatim burn (a day ago or so), ive tested some other Ritek dual layers that turned out to be very bad. I made one coaster after another resulting in a write error, regardless of wot combo i tried, SB, OHT , HT no matter wot. Coud that beeing the cause of that!??

So, wot i actualy wanna ask is. Woud it help, if i only reset HYPER TUNING and not the Learnt media option through the EEPROM utility!? Because, i actualy think that this “LEARNT MEDIA option” is in any way related to that SmartBurn Feature one can enable or disable throug smartburn utility!?

urs,

jannenba,

this picture i took is from that burn i made weeks ago + TRT SCAN

SB = on, HT = on, OHT = on
Burned@2,4x same burner aswell as reader

THIS SCAN IS THAT HORRIBLE BURN

ALSO Burned at 2,4x

SB = ON, OHT = ON, HT = on

AND THIS SCAN IS FROM THAT BETTER BURN I MADE RIGHT AFTER THAT HORRIBLE COASTER IF U LIKE BUT WHIT ONLY

SB = oN ALL THE REST OFFF IN ORDER TO GET ACCEPTABLE RESSULTS ALL OF AN SUDDEN !!!

So, u see wot i mean by the difference by learnt media and Hyper tuning. It seems i made better burns whit Tuning feature offf. Wheither its HYper or ONLINE tuning, the fact is whit only SB on all of an sudden i produce better results!!! Thats why i need to ask once more, will i solve anything by just reseting Hyper Tuning through that eeprom utility in order to make succesfull backups again by using SB + HT + OHT feature again!!?? Or are those features only to be used for an few burns just to get the drive know media perhaps!???

inlighten me please,

urs,

jannenba,

ok in short does any one have an clue wot iam trying to explain?

many tnx,

You use what works best for you. Whatever combination it may be, it differs from one person to the next. Your DL media may work fine with the stock strategy. In that case, you don’t need either of the HyperTuning options.

Thats not the aswer i wos hoping for :rolleyes: . I know i need to work out the best combonations for my kind of burner + media. Thats now the problem i sudden have… i thought i worked it out for those verbatims i posted an example from here!!! But, afterwards they turned out to be burned as bad too using that very same combo i used before whit no problems back then…!! AGAIN, the question regarding that woud be did i screwed up the write strategy for all kind of dual layers now… even though the burner stock/saves callibrations for every specific brand of midcodes appart in certain places!? If so, woud it help to use the reset hyper tuning through that utility or not!? Infact, when/wots the big difference between the option “RESET HYPER TUNING” & “RESET LEARNT MEDIA”.???

ALSO, BY RESETING LEARNT MEDIA… DO U RESET WOTEVER STRATEGYS MAY BEEN USED BY ENABLE THE SMARTBURN FEATURE THROUGH SMARTBURN 3.16!? THAT I LIKE TO KNOW!!! IF HYPER TUNING & SMARTBURN REPRESENT THE SAME FUNCTION???

many tnx,

urs jannenba,

My apologies. I misunderstood. :flower:

You have NOT screwed up the write strategy for all Dual Layer discs, but it would help to reset both HyperTuning AND Learnt Media.

Learnt Media is when the drive learns on EVERY burn, no matter what you have enabled, disabled, etc. All LiteOn drives from the early years to now learned media. This is part of SmartBurn, and has always been. It is less aggressive, and only makes minor modifications on each burn of an MID.

HyperTuning is, as you know, the newer feature of LiteOn drives. It learns for media it doesn’t know, for most low speed writing [6x and below], and some MIDs automatically do it at high speed [eg ProdiscF02]. This is a separate thing from SmartBurn. The only way it is really affiliated is that SmartBurn can enable it when it needs to. It is more aggressive and begins to form a whole new strategy.

If you reset HyperTuning in the EEPROM utility, it will have the same effect as clearing the OPC using the SmartBurn tool. Learned media can only be cleared by the EEPROM tool, and will clear any OTHER learning that goes on [I.E. every burn done since the last clearing]. Whenever you clear the learned strategies, it clears everything learned, and starts all over from scratch [for unknown media] or from the factory strategy [for known media, such as you media].

I hope that was a little more in line with what you were asking. Again, apologies. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the indepth info regarding Hyper tuning & SmartBurn,

Now ive got something to work/test on :p.

One thing though, u say smart burn is indeed the method liteon manufactures have used many years in drives and is therefor less aggresive then (and i suppose u mean “Hyper tuning”) when it comes down to burning/writing , right!?

Yet, as i read ur post it seems when resetting learned strategys, Hyper Tuning woud be less agressive in terms of clearing/reseting those strategys from the drive instead of using the more agressive method reseting the “Learned Media”? whereas " reseting Learned media" woud erase everything according to u, is it!

Also, do i actualy need HT and/or OHT on VERBATIMS!? Since, they are so known well for theyre outstanding quality!?

AND AGAIN!!!

Do u know why i get bad burns suddenly using the same combo SB+HT+OHT on those very same media burned at the same speed wich is 2,4x wallace!?

I thought those strategies are suposed to be saved sepperately for each and single diffferent mid code and are meant to “IMPROVE” THE QUALITY!!! So, how can it be so awfull all of a sudden using the same mehtod and write application (wich is dvd decrypter) for that matter !!!???

iam currently testing and writing some single layerd backups to see if it has affected those formats…

many tnx,

jannenba,

Well, it may just be that there was a “bad burn” somewhere along the line with the DL that messed the learning up. It can often happen. HyperTuning can and will destroy certain discs, and this may be one of those times. HyperTuning doens’t really like high quality discs, such as your Verbatims, either. I have run afoul of a lot of quality discs otherwise messed up by it.

Clearing the HyperTuning will most likely undo more of the bad damage [as it seems the drive is sticking to that new strategy], but it is worth it to clear both that and Learned Media. Just make sure you backup your EEPROM in case you get bad burn on OTHER media.

Yes, in a way, erasing Learned Media is more aggressive, because the drive will have to re-learn the little nuances of all of your media. But clearing HyperTuning & disabling it may have more of a dramatic impact for these specific discs, as it appears the drive has made a bad strategy.

Can anyone explain me why the scans of the same dvd are so different? Which result can I trust more?

Burned with Original Lite-On LH-20A1H (LL0C), burned @ 2,4x

Enable jitter with the liteon scan (click the “advanced” tab in the disc quality section in cdspeed). I think there may be an issue around the edge of the disc. Perhaps a very high amount of jitter.

Trust the liteon over the NEC for scans.

But the NEC is more useful for another reason. Do a TRT with it. In cdspeed, go to Benchmark, click Run Test, Transfer Rate. If there are slowdowns at the end of the disc, it is indeed a lesser quality burn. Post the picture here actually, I wouldn’t mind seeing :bigsmile:

The jitter isn’t high at these points, or?

The jitter is pretty high at its maximum, which is around the same point that the errors start to go up. Ideally, 12% jitter is the max considered decent [which is pushing it; many consider it poor to abysmal], with around 10-11% being better [average], and even lower the best. But the fact that the NEC can read it without dropping its speed means that, for a general disc in the state its in now, there should be few readback problems, far between.

On the contrary using that smartburn 3.16t modified utility, all my mcc004 mid verbatims were burned excelent B@16x whit SB_HT_OHT. The same goes for my Verbatims DL 2,4x B@4X + SB_HT_OHT according to my scans and playback in stand alones afterwards (ill show some examples scanned at 8x down below)

So, at one hand u say its better to start all over to learn (improve) strategys by clearing hypertuning but at the other hand doing that might damage/brick my drive/strategies permanent for certain media.

Anyways, i think iam screwed using that OPC feature in that utility period.

My verbatims burns were always excelent untill i bhought other dual layer media wich gave me much coasters thats why i used that Clearing Opc feature in that utility and thats when it went wrong afterwards, even whit my verbatims mcc004 that wich burned so great before, aswell as for my Dual Layers mkm001 and my new batch verbatims TY03

Ill show scans from certain media using HT_OHT, wich will show u horrible results that i didnt have had before i used that clearing opc feature!! On the contrary, my burns were actualy better using SB_OH_HT all togheter on my mcc004 verbatims

urs jannenba,

The First Scan Is Burned At 16x Sb+ht+oht And The Rest At 8x Sb+ht+oht. These Scans Were Taken On That Day I Got My Liteon Flashed Whit The New Klon And Using Modified Smartburn For Its Oht Feature Only!!! Nothing Cleared Yet!!!

And Pay Especialy Attention To The Max “amount” Pies And Pifs From Bot Scans Before And After I Cleared Strategies!!!

Now Some Scans First Pic Burned At 8x Using Only Sb On And The Second Burned At 16x Again Only Sb Feature Enabled No Ht,oht!! Both Burned On That Very Same Day Still Nothing Cleared Wotsovever

NOW I SHOW U 2 SCANS FROM BURNS AFTER I CLEARED OPC… IT SEEMS IT DOESNT WANT TO IMPROVE ANYTHING ANYMORE FROM THAT POINT FORWARD :a . I CANT POST ALL MY SCANS BUT EVEN WHEN RESTORING EEPROM AND SO FORWARD DIDNT SOLVE ANYTHING!!! ITS EVEN GOTTEN THAT WURSE THAT MY TAYO YUDEN B@16X SCAN ONLY SHOW SATISFYING RESULTS WHEN SCANNED AT 4x EVEN THOUGH IT PLAYED JUST FINE IN MY PICKY STAND ALONE DVD PLAYER!!! WHEN SCANNED AT 8X IT LOOKS AS IF I MADE A HORRIFIC COASTER :confused: I DIDNT HAD THAT BEFORE WHIT MCC004 MIDS WOT GIVES, THOSE MCC004 SUPOSE TO BE WURSE MEDIA THEN TAYO ACCORDING TO SOME POEPLE WHEN I READ POSTS, GO FIGURE!!,

Another Mcc004 Verbat Scan Burned At Slowest Speed 2,4x Sb+ht+oht After Opc Resset Just To Test Wot Many Poeple Claim In The Past “the Slower The Better”