Difference between Music CD-Rs

vbimport

This has been an issue that has plagued me for sometime now. I go into a store to buy CD-Rs. I see a sale, some are marketed as just CD-Rs , and some are Music CD-rs. What is the difference besides the price? I have burned plenty of music to regular CD-r media with no ill effects. I guess its Data vs Music. But both seem to be the same to me.

Hi Alan :slight_smile:

Found a couple of threads you might find useful here:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f58/why-buy-cd-r-audio-instead-cd-r-recording-music-175302/
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f34/blank-audio-cds-164587/

Hope that helps a bit :slight_smile:

Thanks Arachne, those threads answered all my questions except one. I have Fuji CDR that I apid 6.99 for a 50 spindles at Kmart. I have a 30 spindle of Sony Music CDrs that I paid 9.99 for at Walgreens, The ones from Kmart burn at 52X, the one from Walgreens burn at 24X. Go figure.:confused:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2029710]Thanks Arachne, those threads answered all my questions except one. I have Fuji CDR that I apid 6.99 for a 50 spindles at Kmart. I have a 30 spindle of Sony Music CDrs that I paid 9.99 for at Walgreens, The ones from Kmart burn at 52X, the one from Walgreens burn at 24X. Go figure.:confused:[/QUOTE]Alan that’s the way it’s always been. Not all CD’s were made to burn at 52x.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2029710]Thanks Arachne, those threads answered all my questions except one. I have Fuji CDR that I apid 6.99 for a 50 spindles at Kmart. I have a 30 spindle of Sony Music CDrs that I paid 9.99 for at Walgreens, The ones from Kmart burn at 52X, the one from Walgreens burn at 24X. Go figure.:confused:[/QUOTE]

Are those Sony Music ones TY? If so I have some too, great discs :slight_smile:

Yes, Sony Made by Taiyo Yuden, 30 disc spindle for 9.99 at Walgreens. Not a great deal but good discs eh?:iagree:

Check out the ADIP on the CDs. :wink:

For Data are normal Discs made for PC drives. The for Music ones are specially made for standalone Recorders but can also be used for PC.
Standalone players check the discs if there is a for Audio flag on the CD-R. If the flag does not exist the standalone burner will not allow you to burn the disc. The for Audio Discs have this flag while for Data does not. When used in PC drives both discs should work the same.
Another difference is that for Audio Discs are most of the time based on older dye such as 16,24 or 32x CD-R discs (most standalones do not have a 52x drive). Since these discs are made for 16,24 or 32x you wont be able to burn these at 52x. There is no use for for Audio discs in your PC unless you have a old burner which likes 24x better than 52x discs or the price is very good. Some countries even have special tax on the for Audio CD-Rs.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2029736]Yes, Sony Made by Taiyo Yuden, 30 disc spindle for 9.99 at Walgreens. Not a great deal but good discs eh?:iagree:[/QUOTE]

TY “music” CDRs are actually the older CDR that was rated at 24x and 32x. The ATIP will limit these to 32x or 24x depending on your PC drive. Some of the older CDRW drives will burn them at 40x. FWIW, Staples also carries these Sony/TY Music CDRS in the the 30-ct spindles.

Also good to note that there is a 3rd class of CDR that’s called “multipurpose” which is supposed to work in newer recorders but may not work on older ones. The Fuji CDRs that I’ve seen were of the “multipurpose” type.