Difference between flash drive and jump drive

Obviously I am a newbie, but like to have all my pix backed up twice as I am afraid I will loose them forever. I have been putting them on cruzer flash drives. Now I am confused as to the difference between the flash drives and the jump drives. One salesperson says one is better and someone else contradicts this. For back-up storage of personal home & family pictures which should I use?

two different names for the same thing? i think jump drive is the trademark, ie a type of flash drive. I have had my USB 1GB pen (kingston data traveller II) for over a year now, loaded it to the max hasnt so much as even taken an extra second to recognise, great value.

Quote from Google search:

“A jump drive is a plug-and-play portable storage device that uses flash memory and is lightweight enough to attach to a key chain.”

So, just as a joke, a jump drive seems to be a flash drive that is able to…jump…!!!
A bit more serious: don’t forget you can have flash memory (and therefore flash drives) in dif forms other than USB “keys”. Junst think about photo memory cards and now the news about “HDD” mixed with flash memory or even hard disks using only flash memory (those would be flash drives, right?..and inside the machine you would not want them to…jump, for sure).
Look at the drives transfer/read speed, the quality of enclosure and security features and forget about this sales bla-bla-bla.

1. “Flash Drives” and “JumpDrives” are the SAME. Period.
Some companies like to use different marketing names for their products, but ultimately they are the same fundamental products. Lexar often likes to call them JumpDrives. Other common names are “USB Flash Memory Drives” and “Thumb Drives.” Many sales guys are clueless and don’t know a thing. Walk into Worst Buy and it’s the blind leading the blind.

2. Flash Drives are NOT a good backup medium.
They can fail in a lot of ways. They are not cost effective per GB. They are hard to make “read-only” so your archive could easily get overwritten. They are hard to label and archive. Use CD-R or DVD-R for a better backup solution. These drives are good short-term storage for moving things from here to there, but I would not use them for archiving.

How right you are: I recently went into that store to buy a Samsung HDTV tuner and asked the “associate” if it included the component cables (not listed on the box). The associate looked the box over and confidently stated that, no, no component cables were included, they were not included with products of this type. I asked him to please open the box and check. He opened the box, looked inside and proclaimed, “Yes, here are the component cables.” Ay, yi, yi… :doh:

And flash/thumb/jump drives are best used for file transfer, NOT storage. :slight_smile:

I have never seen or heard that HDTV comes with Component cable this type cable cost up to $120 (Monster Cable) TV manufacturer never include this high cost cable TV.

Cables are almost always separate because, unlike television, they are a high-markup item and bring in lots of profit for the store. If the TV manufacturer included cables, the retail chains would be unhappy because it would be lowering their sales of high-margin accessories.

That said, Monster cables have something like a 400% markup. Supposedly, the sales-brainwashing videos and other training that Worst Buy / Future Shop employees receive basically tells them to push Monster cables, that Monster cables are the solution for everything, etc. In reality, Monster Cables are a decent quality product sold at an astronomically high price.

Stay away from Monster Cable. You don’t get what you pay for.

Actually USB flash drives, also called jump drives, usb keys, thumb drives, and in Europe “pen drives” - can be very reliable storage and back-up mediums, as long as size is not an issue, since they cannot hold as much information as a hard-drive can.

The two reasons they can me more reliable:

1. They have NO moving parts, unlike hard-drives. This makes them more reliable, as there is one less thing to go wrong.

2. Some manufacturers build them to be utterly industructable, actually running them through washing machines and even driving SUV’s over them, to test them in real world situations.

There are sites dedicated to testing the best ones, regarding speed of transfer and indestructability, here is one…

DriverHeaven.net

Craig Maxim