Difference between Data and Digital Audio cd-rs

I’ve heard about blank cd-da cd-rs having a lower quality of error correction than blank data cd-rs. Is this true or is it the cd-da cd-rs that contains the lower quality of error correction and it’s not the blank cd-r that contains the error correction? Is this the same for data cd-rs as well? Thanks!

Hi Alucard

I thought I answered your PM, must have hit the wrong button.
The discs are the same except for ATIP coding. There is no “error correction” on a disc, that occurs in the drive and/or software.

These audio discs are optimized for low speed audio burners right? So would’nt these give a lower error rate when burned at slow speeds in your cdrw? I would like to see how these perform with the yamahas slow burning audio master vs high speed 52x media. Im thinking the audio cds will kick butt :slight_smile:

There’s no physical difference between data and audio CDR’s. In theory, they are supposed to be 1x compatable, but they are the same media.

Originally posted by RaWShadow

I would like to see how these perform with the yamahas slow burning audio master vs high speed 52x media.
Im thinking the audio cds will kick butt :slight_smile:
Yamaha kicks butt, not audio CDRs > explore the CD-RW Media Tests.
Audio CDRs

There are special “audio CDRs”, labeled with something like “For Music use“.

To prevent misunderstandings about audio CDRs:

These CDRs are not “better” than normal CDRs!
These CDRs are not specially adjusted for audio data. The only difference to normal CDRs is, that you have to pay a certain “GEMA fee”, i.e. a part of the price you paid will be “donated” to the GEMA (just like blank tapes). The GEMA distributes the proceeds among the artists.
The GEMA CDRs have an additional code, that can be inquired by the writer. If the writer supports the request, Feurio! will show the message “<Unrestricted Use>” in the status window, if a GEMA CDR is inserted.

Some HIFI CD-WRITER (i.e. CD-Writers for connecting to the hi-fi) inquire this GEMA code and do only write CDRs with this GEMA code.

Shall I use audio CDRs?
From legal/ technical point of view: NO. As mentioned the CDRs are not better than comparable branded CDRs (of course they are better than cheap no-name CDRs). Also from the legal point of view there are no reasons why you should use them: The “GEMA” fee is no tax or other duty. PRIVATE copies are always allowed, commercial copies NEVER (even if you use GEMA CDRs)

Of course you can use audio CDRs if you want to keep your “clear conscience”.

From: Feurio! CD-Writer online help © by Fangmeier Systemprogrammierung

Hi,
I have VAIO PCG-R505 with DVD/CD-RW.
Nero and CloneCD wrights fine, but when I gave a try Feurio got these message:

WARNING: THE DRIVER IS NOT SUITABLE!

For burning on the CD-Writer: “F: MATSHITA - UJDA730 DVD/CDRW”, you have selected the driver:“TrackAtOnce.dll (Mitsumi CR 2600te/2801te (TRACK-AT-ONCE))”.

However this Writer is NOT on this driver’s list, so it is unknown, if this writer could be handled by this driver correctly.

Any comments Boskin?

:confused:

Which Feurio version do you have ?

Here’s the path : Feurio CD-Writer > Writer Settings tab > Info > Driver tab > Select driver.

If Generic MMC doesn’t work for you, then try Generic SCSI-3/ATAPI-driver.

I have 1.66
And you are right buddy! MMC works for me.
Thanks a bunch Boskin :wink:

Originally posted by verter

And you are right buddy! MMC works for me.
Thanks a bunch Boskin :wink:
All right, that sounds gr8 !

Merry Christmas !