Difference between Clone and Full Dsc

vbimport

What is the difference between the modes full disc and clone?

Clone is a 1:1 bit-for-bit copy of the original. It is as close to a true backup as you can possibly get. In my own opinion, only “clone” qualifies as “backup.” This means that if you have an original DVD with 2 layers, you will need a double or dual layer blank to do a clone.

“Full Disc” remasters the original material. It typically will copy only VIDEO_TS from the original DVD, so if there is any DVD-ROM or interactive content, you will lose it.

People typically use “Full Disc” for the following reasons:

1. They want to copy an original DVD with two layers onto a single layer blank, and want to remove features, extras, or re-encode the original material to get it to fit.

2. They have a “PC Home Theater” (a computer hooked up to their HDTV with lots of drive space, and want to load as many movies as possible on it so that they can select movies to watch from a menu), and only want to have the main feature available to save drive space, and also perhaps for simplicity.

3. People are absolutely not satisfied with a copy that includes advertisements, warnings, or features that they don’t plan on using. They simply must give the disc their “personal touch” by changing or removing things.

As you can tell, I’m not exactly a proponent of “full disc” backups. :slight_smile: Well, maybe not so much for the first two reasons (although dual/double layer drives and blanks are quite cheap nowadays), but definitely more for the third reason.

Again, if you have a single layer original and blank or a double layer original and blank, doing a “full disc” backup will lose the following (among other things):

• Layer break (for 2-layer originals)
  • Original file and volume dates and times
  • Original volume label (unless re-typed correctly)
  • Mastering info
  • “Short” disc ID
  • Anything not in VIDEO_TS (DVD-ROM content)

Yes, but does Clone still remove all of the copy protection crap?

[QUOTE=Yoeddy1;2067555]Yes, but does Clone still remove all of the copy protection crap?[/QUOTE]

Yes AFAIK anyway

I would assume Clone and Full Disc will provide the same PQ/AQ as the original on a DL disc at DVD-9 quality setting right? That’s all I’m really concerned with.

dvd9 yes. no compression. :slight_smile:

and audio is never compressed.

No compression, dvd9 quality = good quality backup! :slight_smile:

Yoeddie1 wrote,
“I would assume Clone and Full Disc will provide the same PQ/AQ as the original on a DL disc at DVD-9 quality setting right? That’s all I’m really concerned with.”

Wrong! it will provide nearly the same PQ/AQ as the original…
And yes using DL disc for full movie is the way to go to achieve the best quality…Having said that ,if you’re lucky enough you can backup the main movie only hopefully w/o compression or minimal for that matter, and you may not notice the difference from original…But only you can see through your eyes only…JMO! :slight_smile:

T.

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2067716]Yoeddie1 wrote,
“I would assume Clone and Full Disc will provide the same PQ/AQ as the original on a DL disc at DVD-9 quality setting right? That’s all I’m really concerned with.”

And yes using DL disc for full movie is the way to go to achieve the best quality…Having said that ,if you’re lucky enough you can backup the main movie only hopefully w/o compression or minimal for that matter, and you may not notice the difference from original…But only you can see through your eyes only…JMO! :slight_smile:

T.[/QUOTE]What is that causes a backup from a DVD9 to a DVD9 to be “nearly the same PQ/AQ as the original…” ? :confused:

Yeah, I’m curious as well…

Just an FYI re: clone vs. full mode.
Full disc, in its present state, is a far cry from the older Fab 2.xxx and 3.xxx applications, particularly with the introduction of PathPlayer technology and it’s unique navigation features.

While I certainly don’t take issue with opinions, when expressed as opinions, there are a few points of clarification:

The layer break, depending on how the full disc bkup is configured, can be preserved, although frequently it is not…again, this is a function of how the bkup is configured.

Anything not in the VIDEO_TS folder is lost (ie., DVD-ROM content)
Again, not necessarily…it is a function of how the bkup is configured.
For the present, the AUDIO_TS folder will be lost regardless, although this will be changing soon.

On a more personal note and strictly opinion, I love the Full Disc mode in it’s current state. I used to dislike it and virtually never used it.
Now I can take a movie, bkup the entire contents or any bits and pieces I choose, and alter the playback order so that when I pop in the bkup, the movie starts…plain and simple…
no menus, no navigation, no FBI crap, no trailers, etc., etc.
If I choose to watch any specific special feature, etc., I just click on the menu and navigate the disc in normal fashion.
I love this…:cool:

Infrequently, Fab stumbles with disc structure issues. It’s only happened 2X in all my full disc bkups and these were movies with alternate endings. Most flicks with alternate endings or beginnings did not demonstrate this problem.

I agree with Gummi:

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2067716]
[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Gummigutta;2067741]What is that causes a backup from a DVD9 to a DVD9 to be “nearly the same PQ/AQ as the original…” ? :confused:[/QUOTE]

I can’t connect the dots here at all
Here are two screenshots. The first shows what I mean about copying DVD-ROM content and the second about the special navigation features and trimming of unwanted content, for eg., DTS audio

Both movie bkups, in my mind anyway, will produce no loss of quality whatsover. The content is digital and has not been compressed.

I guess some just missed the ,
JMO! :slight_smile: part…
IMO, you will get some quality loss when backing up,you may not notice but it’s there…Can I back that up with facts? no it’s just an opinion…
Have a nice weekend,:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2067769]I guess some just missed the ,
JMO! :slight_smile: part…
IMO, you will get some quality loss when backing up,you may not notice but it’s there…Can I back that up with facts? no it’s just an opinion…
Have a nice weekend,:)[/QUOTE]
Opinions are always welcome…:iagree:
We disagree, but that’s ok…you have a great weekend too…:cool:

[Edit]
and yes, the JMO went right past this old brain…lol

Hope its okay to bring up a 3 week old thread but i have a question about layer breaks. So if i choose “full disc” where is the layer break in comparison to a “clone” copy? Doesnt “full disc” mode preserve the original layer break? Why would the layer break be any different with these two options?

I used to make backups with dvd decryptor, and just ripped the video as an .iso file and then burned it. simple as that. So are you guys saying that the DL discs i used to burn with dvd decryptor didn’t preserve the orignal layer break? Thanks for the help!

[QUOTE=bhome83;2083704]Hope its okay to bring up a 3 week old thread but i have a question about layer breaks. So if i choose “full disc” where is the layer break in comparison to a “clone” copy? Doesnt “full disc” mode preserve the original layer break? Why would the layer break be any different with these two options?

I used to make backups with dvd decryptor, and just ripped the video as an .iso file and then burned it. simple as that. So are you guys saying that the DL discs i used to burn with dvd decryptor didn’t preserve the orignal layer break? Thanks for the help![/QUOTE]

If you want to preserve the Layer Break then open common settings >> Protection and UN-check “Remove Layer Break”

Doesn’t every DL disc have a layer break though? How can you remove this layer break? I thought the whole point of a DL disc is “dual layers” meaning data is written on both layers so you have to switch over to the next layer (i.e. layer break) or maybe im confused…

If you remove it, Fab then chooses a logical spot for it to happen which may be different from the original.