Did I hose my Pioneer DVR-A03?

vbimport

Hi,
I did a firmware update R3TA200.EXE firmware version 2.0 for my Pioneer DVR-A03. Everything seemed to go correctly and the window reported a successful update to firmware v 2.0. Now the OS (XP) sees it ok. But when I load a disk( a dvd or dvd-r) it doesnt recognize the disk. The green light blinks for awhile then goes to blinking yellow or amber.

Please advise. :sad:

Kind regards, Capt. Mike

P.S. If you think I need to replace it…is Lite-on a good choice?
Do I need to uninstall anything before putting in the new drive?

Does your device manager see the drive? Does it say ‘This device is working properly’? Check the IDE settings as well.

Open up Devicemanager and uninstall the drive and the ide channels listed, then restart.

Hi and thank you for the kind reply. Yes the device manager reports that it is working properly.

XP reports in device manager that all IDE channels are working properly.

Hi, thank you for the kind reply. Before I try this…do you mean uninstall from device manager?

I do not have a WIN XP cd. So will I be able to reinstall on reboot if XP finds the drive?

The reason I ask is there was one time prior to the firmware update, where I that I put a new blank dvd-r disk in the drive and couldnt get it out or get the drive to respond so I rebooted and the computer would not reboot. It would get to one of the boot screens and stop. So I shut down the pc and used a paper clip to manually get the disk out of the drive, then rebooted and things were ok.

Also I noticed below that for the drive I did the firmware update now reads DVR-103 and not DVR-A03. I am absolutely positive I used the correct firmware file. Could something be screwed up here?

Drive D:
Description CD-ROM Drive
Media Loaded No
Media Type CD-ROM
Name PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W4012A
Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)
Status OK
Transfer Rate Not Available
SCSI Target ID 0
PNP Device ID IDE\CDROMPLEXTOR_CD-R___PX-W4012A________________1.00____\5&C9AF3F1&0&0.0.0
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys (5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158), 48.38 KB (49,536 bytes), 8/18/2001 7:00 AM)

Drive E:
Description CD-ROM Drive
Media Loaded No
Media Type CD-ROM
Name PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-103
Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)
Status OK
Transfer Rate Not Available
SCSI Target ID 1
PNP Device ID IDE\CDROMPIONEER_DVD-RW__DVR-103_________________2.00____\5&C9AF3F1&0&0.1.0
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys (5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158), 48.38 KB (49,536 bytes), 8/18/2001 7:00 AM)

Thank so much you guys. Please let me know your thoughts or if you need any more info…If this gets to be too much of a pain in the butt for ya’all I am more than willing to buy another drive. This is an Alienware PC about 4 years old now and its been good to me and maybe deserves a new dvd drive. :bigsmile:

Uninstall the ide drivers listed under ide/ATA ATAPI CONTROLERS.
Then restart and the OS will re-install the ide drivers…

Hi chef, not to doubt you but…are you absolutely positive that the os wil re-install the drivers. I have primary IDE, secondary IDE channels and and the Intel® 82801BA Busmaster Ide controller. You want me to uninstall the drivers for all these?

I admit it I am scared. You are sure about this…I am not sure I have the cabinet files on the pc and alieware didnt give me a windows xp cd…I have a system recovery cd which I think wipes out everything then installs the os to original condition. I’d rather not have to do that so I just want to be sure, you are sure. :bigsmile:

Thanks again for all you input.

Yes, it will. The drivers are already on the HDD in the drivers subfolders, ready to be installed.

If you are so scared, you may set a recovery point (or how this is named).