Did firmware update do this?

vbimport

I just recently encountered a new issue with my dvd burner. After having some problems with DVDFab Platinum, I decided to uninstall it, update the firmware in my NEC 3520 burner and go back to using DVDFab HD Decrypter to rip, DVD shrink to strip out stuff I don’t want and Nero to write to the DVD.

After doing that, I’m noticing that when the burned DVDs play in my set top box, it pauses a few times for a brief second several times until after the opening credits then plays fine. In a nutshell, the stuff that plays first has a slight problem for a few seconds. This has happened with 3 DVDs so far.

Any chance that flashing the firmware had anything to do with this?

Probably media related or the drive is getting on. Without a log, it’s guesswork.

Regards

Did you change disc MID’s recently? I have never used the free HD Fab ripper.

[QUOTE=blutach;2024605]Probably media related or the drive is getting on. Without a log, it’s guesswork.

Regards[/QUOTE]off topic:

heyyo Les my friend :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=blutach;2024605]Probably media related or the drive is getting on. Without a log, it’s guesswork.

Regards[/QUOTE]

I’m still using the same Tayo Yuden brand I’ve always used. They are from a new spindle though so maybe that lot is a bit different. The drive is a couple years old. I guess I could try it on another computer to see if I get the same results. I’m using an NEC 3520 in a USB enclosure so it’s not internal using IDE.

I’ll give it a few blanks to see if the result eventuall changes. I just did another one and the periodic pause didn’t last as long this time. So hopefully it’s just a very slight defect in a limited number of blanks. We’ll see.

Hopefully.

@Bob - Happy Easter. :slight_smile:

Regards

Ok here’s an update. I made a copy of Boiler Room this time with different media. I used a Verbatim DVD-R. It did the same pause thing as the Tayo Yuden’s at the beginning only worse. As before, after the opening credits it played ok. However, it played with no pausing at all on my laptop. Now I’m beginning to think that it could be the set top box. But then why would this happen just at the beginning and not throughout the entire disc?
Is it possible to flash the drive back to the previous version to see if that’s what started this behavior?

bump

After recently flashing my NEC 3520 drive, playback resulted in movies frequently pausing and playing again for the first few seconds until after the opening credits. Essentially they hang for a second or two then play, hang for a second or two then play and so on. This happens generally while the studio logo is displayed and opening credits are running. If there is any narration or music during opening credits, the audio skips. But when the main movie gets going, it plays fine.

I posted this on another thread but it seems to have died. It was thought that it could be a media thing and that maybe the Tayo Yudens I was using might be slightly defective.

Ok here’s an update. I made a copy of Boiler Room as a test this time with different media. I used a Verbatim DVD-R. It did the same pause thing as the Tayo Yuden’s at the beginning only worse. As before, after the opening credits it played ok. However, it played with no pausing at all on my laptop and desktop. Now I’m beginning to think that it could be the set top box. But then why would this happen just at the beginning and not throughout the entire disc?

I played back older Tayo Yuden discs I burned that had the previous firmware and they play flawlessly. I think I’ve ruled out media. The only thing that changed was the firmware.

A friend on mine burned a movie using the same exact burner but with an older firmware version. I want to see if it’s the firmware change that caused this.

Stay tuned. But in the meantime, any thoughts?

I think you should go back to original firmware.
During beginning of DVD there is lots of jumping from one PGC to other, involving lots of commands, where during main movie there is only few commands at the beginning and after at the end. That is why main movie play without problem.
It looks like your firmware flash is not working.
Computer players usualy cope with this, since the computer has much better processing power.
Lots of DVD will play without problem on computer, but get stuck in standalone.
Your DVD media is fine (good brand).

[QUOTE=jamesd3rd;2025942]Stay tuned. But in the meantime, any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Keep posts about related topics in the same thread.

[QUOTE=CDuncle;2027067]I think you should go back to original firmware.
During beginning of DVD there is lots of jumping from one PGC to other, involving lots of commands, where during main movie there is only few commands at the beginning and after at the end. That is why main movie play without problem.
It looks like your firmware flash is not working.
Computer players usualy cope with this, since the computer has much better processing power.
Lots of DVD will play without problem on computer, but get stuck in standalone.
Your DVD media is fine (good brand).[/QUOTE]

I went back to firmware ver. 3.06 which is what it was prior to the update but there was no change. It still does the same thing. If I could go back to the original version I would but I don’t know what it was. I ran another test last night with Four Brothers and that seemed to be the worst of all. My set top box replayed the same couple of frames over and over then got stuck then leaped forward a few seconds into the first few minutes of the movie.

I’m borrowing another burner and I also have a new one on order to see what happens. I’m pretty much convinced that it’s the NEC 3520 though. Since these things are practically throw away items now, I have no issues getting another one.

Stay tuned.

I got my new burner this afternoon and resumed testing. It looks like the source of the problem was the NEC 3520. Apparently the firmware flash did something to the drive that affected the way it burned the data at the beginning and caused playback to hesitate and stutter until the main portion of the movie was reached. Reverting back to the previous firmware version had no change. Things are back to normal now that I have the new burner but it would be nice to be able to figure out how to get the NEC working properly if it’s just a firmware flash thing that screwed things up. Any suggestions?

New drives are very reasonable now, the NEC 3520 was a good one but I am sure you will be happy with your new drive. Glad you have things sorted.