Diary of an SSD Upgrade

Ok…gonna stick my neck on the line here and try to record what happens when I swap out my existing SSD and put in a new, faster one.

Existing SSD: Vertex 2 60GB
Incoming SSD: Crucial m4 128GB

Why am I doing this?

1. The Vertex is a smidgeon small, and
  2. I am running some large demanding software from time to time (CS5 Photoshop and Premiere etc)
  3. It was time. What I mean is, the HDD in my Dell laptop just died, so my plan is to put the “old” Vertex into the lappy…hence the desktop beastie gets a new SSD.

Why am I telling you this?

1. I´m no expert, so the thread will be active for anyone who wishes to add their 2 cents.
  2. To help out anyone else planning such a move, and
  3. so you can have a good laugh when it goes wrong.

:cool:

(I know diddly about SSD’s, so this is about all the help you can expect from me) :bigsmile:

The decision about which SSD to use was aided by our resident OF, BigMike…
…it came down to the

[ul]
[li]Intel 510 120 GB [/li][li]Vertex 3 120GB[/li][li]Crucial M4 128GB[/li][/ul]

…so I went shopping, and picked up the Crucial. It´s apparently a tad slower (415 MB/s / 265 MB/s) than the Vertex (550 MB/s / 500 MB/s), but not as expensive as the Intel (450 MB/s / 210 MB/s)… € 175,91 vs. € 233,90

However, it is supposed to be reasonably reliable despite having a 25nm chip compared to the 32nm in the Intel…in the end, who knows? I guess we will eventually find out!

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2600492]
(I know diddly about SSD’s, so this is about all the help you can expect from me) :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

From one OF to another…thank´s for that… :wink:

I will attempt to describe the process clearly…

Please bear in mind there are competing and distracting elements
(Cindy has been locked in her room however…no way to get this done with her “help”)

I have a trout stuffed with garlic and cracked open a beer…let´s see which is done quicker: the beer or the new SSD installation…

Starting now with this situation:

[B]First step:[/B] back up all files from the existing SSD to the internal 2TB HDD

Using W7 Ultimate…its own tool called Migwiz (Windows Easy Transfer)

So, that ran nicely…18 minutes for 39GB

[B]Second Step[/B]: Now what I want to do, and this is obviously the critical step, is to make an [B]image of my system[/B] in case anything goes wrong.

[B]What should I use for that?[/B] Easy with W7: Start > Getting started > Back up your files > Create a system image (also on the 2TB HDD)

(more details)

While I´m at it, here´s another useful looking resource: http://benosullivan.co.uk/windows/how-to-image-and-deploy-windows-7-a-complete-guide/

Oh…the image is already done (less than 10 minutes), and W7 has helpfully asked if I wanna make a repair disk just in case…seems like a good idea, so I will

:cool:

Now I´m not too sure how to handle the next step.

To install the new SSD.

Turn the beast off, pull the old one out and stick the new one in? I guess so, but then should I attempt to clone the image back to the new disk (how does that even work), or do I have to install W7 again before I do that?

Need to google a bit and have another beer…brb :eek:

Feel free to comment :bow:

I’d use Acronis true image home.
Make a backup of your existing SSD.
Do a quick format on the new SSD in Win7
Providing the old SSD is aligned correctly, you can then just use Acronis to recover the image, and it will keep alignment and resize the SSD to full capacity.

Once done, boot into Win7 with the new SSD, and then run Windows Experience Index, then reboot.
Your done.

Make sure your on the latest UEFI for your P67/Z68/H67 board, and the matching RST AHCI SATA drivers

So I should pop the new SSD into an external housing for this I guess…ja?

Do I need Acronis for this (I have it here somewhere)?, or can I just use the image W7 made?

[QUOTE=deanimator;2600515]So I should pop the new SSD into an external housing for this I guess…ja?

Do I need Acronis for this (I have it here somewhere)?, or can I just use the image W7 made?[/QUOTE]The Win7 clone can only be used for drives with the exact same capacity.

If possible make an Acronis rescue media on a USB pen drive.
Boot from that, and save the image from the old SSD to an HDD already in your system
Fit the new SSD and make sure the boot order is set to boot from the new SSD.
Boot from the USB pen drive again (from the quick boot menu in the UEFI).
Now just recover the saved image to the new SSD.

<-- checks to see if he has enough whisky to get through that… :eek:

Depending on the Acronis version and the hardware in your computer and the SATA/AHCI mode, your Acronis Rescue Media may or may not be able to “see” your SSD and HDD. If your drives aren’t detected, CloneZilla may be an alternative; I haven’t tried expanding partitions using CloneZilla, however.

Acronis 9.0, and it has just informed me that it´s incompatible with W7

Checking online for solutions…

:doh:

Ahh…Acronis offers a 30 day free trial :smiley:
Downloading now…20 minutes on my “high-speed” modem

Ok…Acronis is backing up everything…first to my HDD

Now attempting to make the rescue media on a USB stick

EDIT: some minutes later: done!

[QUOTE=Dee;2600512]…
Make sure you´re on the latest UEFI for your P67/Z68/H67 board, and the matching RST AHCI SATA drivers[/QUOTE]

<-- is wondering how to do this.

We are not having fun at the moment! Correct! :eek:

hmmm.
They should all be available from the mobo manufacturers site, or if it’s a pre-build PC, then there may not be any updates.
No big deal at the moment, in either case.

At the ASUS P8P67 download page…there´s 55 possible things to DL
Dunno where to begin or if I even need any of them. http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8P67_WS_Revolution/#download