Diane`s Computer Problems

vbimport

First to let you all know Im dyslexic so in my First post will try to get it right After that you will have to get your dicoders out :wink:

PC was working Fine a tad slow After 2 formats in a year still slow …
Was thinking other Fam Members downloadin/doing stuff ANOTHER format
on top of that NO media player worked
Only VLC after it showed an error ,Windows would not upload patches/updates .

I have avast
Malwarebytes
microsoft Security E,
and run Regual scanns

and CCleaner

Just a Day Before
calamaty
Gust of Wind Blew 100yearold FIG Tree over
it was helped over by the municipality workers cuttin the ROOTS

One Street pole was broken .and that was connecting ( on that circut)
4 houses and my block of Flats

Well the Neighbourhood had lights but me .

went to bed with one Eye open ( only because Telkom lets us Download anything @line speed from 12to7Am Without adding to your UNCAPPED CAP ,
So about 11PM bedside light came on AND a loud Falling/breaking noise
PC wont Start

That was the first part pc problems Found Power supply was off Bust
Maybe a surge ,
HOW CAN YOU CUT THE ROOTS OF A 200 year old fig tree

well I can see that Tree on google Earth
:cool:

With a power outage and now the pc won’t start, the most likely culprit is the power supply.

Just hope it didn’t take out other components as it died. That is a possibility.

Di waited a week with a broken PC sorted out junk Papers I have collected every little thing my 3 Boys wrote CARDS to me and there Dad ( into 3 boxes) DO You know how much paper we collect .My DAD&Husband sadly no more KEPT whole Newspapers for little clip.AND I went throug every one to see Why ( rest of fam just chuck them away )You can only know how somone thinks ( if you know whats important to them )
THATS just Me♥

Just to make sure, you might plug something else into the wall socket where you have the computer, and see if anything else will run off that socket. Make sure that the socket itself isn’t the problem.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2751840]With a power outage and now the pc won’t start, the most likely culprit is the power supply.

Just hope it didn’t take out other components as it died. That is a possibility.[/QUOTE]

(last week )now PC is working
So I took My sons Window xp pc Little pacad bell case
Last Week
Told PC Shop take DVDwriter and Hard drive out and put it in my PC as C drive ill format it and ad Vista,

[B]My Problem was evey time I had to restart my PC I got DISK READ[/B]

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2751842]Just to make sure, you might plug something else into the wall socket where you have the computer, and see if anything else will run off that socket. Make sure that the socket itself isn’t the problem.[/QUOTE]

The Socket is in the next room AND has a portabe earth leakage

PROBLEM FOUND
POWER SUPPLY
from Old pc cant work

[B]
now ill have to get another power supply that has a thinngy to connect to the graffic card [/B].

I wanted to add more memory but they say DD2 memory is not made any more

Dont know if this is
bad

You should not see any errors in Memtest. Even one error is enough to be a problem.

DDR2 memory is certainly available in the US. I do not know if it is in S. Africa.

You might try increasing voltage to the memory in the bios by one notch and see if it helps. Or if you have two memory chips, you could remove one and run Memtest again. If it passes, try the other one you removed.

http://www.comx-computers.co.za/memory-sales.php?cat=61

Here is some DDR2 in S.A.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2751847]You should not see any errors in Memtest. Even one error is enough to be a problem.

DDR2 memory is certainly available in the US. I do not know if it is in S. Africa.

You might try increasing voltage to the memory in the bios by one notch and see if it helps. Or if you have two memory chips, you could remove one and run Memtest again. If it passes, try the other one you removed.[/QUOTE]

Dont Know much about goinig into Bios
only time I did it was to boot from CD

Never Fiddled with PC inareds

[QUOTE=diane7;2751844](last week )now PC is working
So I took My sons Window xp pc Little pacad bell case
Last Week
Told PC Shop take DVDwriter and Hard drive out and put it in my PC as C drive ill format it and ad Vista,

[B]My Problem was evey time I had to restart my PC I got DISK READ[/B][/QUOTE]

[B]
FORGOT to say they took the power Supply also took out ,NOW I need another power supply that has a lead to the graffic card [/B]

just to add a bit of joy [B]Verbatim[/B] is the best Flash disk,last night took one out of my Washing mashine
was in it about a day cos of the Rain ( cold)soakabout aday3was/rinc /spin
verbatm 8gig
works perfact…

Di , I have bought some memory fairly inexpensive from this company.
I don’t know if they ship to South Africa .
You can check if you like.
http://www.kahlon.com

[B]Thanks
Every one for all the link[/B]s ,
when I took my pc in Bust power supply they swaped from the Broken xp computr,
dont work with my Graffic card,
Going to take it back on monday ( and going to challenge not to pay labour )

[B]ALSO got a UPS [/B] works like a bomb
[B]Load shedding[/B] .is a big thing in South Africa right now .
gives you 20 min to save and shut down .

About power supplies, I’d recommend reading some Of JG’s reviews, especially the “Death of a gutless wonder” series.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=379
NB. This PSU was supposedly 80 plus certified - and while it could tolerate full ratings (unlike many previous “gutless wonders”) - a little heat, as with being the only extracting fan in a case, soon killed it.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story3&reid=335
Another example, a supposed 550W model that would be an honest 400W at most

[QUOTE=diane7;2751871][B]Thanks
Every one for all the link[/B]s ,
when I took my pc in Bust power supply they swaped from the Broken xp computr,
dont work with my Graffic card,
Going to take it back on monday ( and going to challenge not to pay labour )

[B]ALSO got a UPS [/B] works like a bomb
[B]Load shedding[/B] .is a big thing in South Africa right now .
gives you 20 min to save and shut down .[/QUOTE]

wasloadsheddi from 2till4[B] UPS[/B] was the best cp investement so far

[QUOTE=Matth;2751956]About power supplies, I’d recommend reading some Of JG’s reviews, especially the “Death of a gutless wonder” series.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=379
NB. This PSU was supposedly 80 plus certified - and while it could tolerate full ratings (unlike many previous “gutless wonders”) - a little heat, as with being the only extracting fan in a case, soon killed it.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story3&reid=335
Another example, a supposed 550W model that would be an honest 400W at most[/QUOTE]

Thanks for those interesting links .
still going to cHallange Pc shop tec fix what is wrong,
Like the power supply they Swaped from the Broken PC WORKED but diddent have the attcement to the Graffic Card
NOW I need a nother power Supply
dosent have to happen today .

also did a bit of recerch to find my PDFs opend slow has nothing to do with Graffics BUT Memmory
[B]Graffic Card [/B]
msi G71-vnl 1027

DONT have any Steam games
My Son sold all his
now he has XBOX360 and chows all my cap with Youtube and online Games
He gasp asked me do I realy kneed a Graffic Card
well I find out the onboard workd ok but gives a Bank screen if its 1800pi
only for more seconds than I would like .

[QUOTE=diane7;2751994]was load shedding from 2till4[B] [B][SIZE=“4”]UPS[/B][/SIZE][/B] was the best investement so far[/QUOTE]

[B]Post from Facebook[/B]
Just to let yo all know Im still around .a tree blew down outside my flat .
Short story .WHEN my elctrisity came on BLEW my Power Supply …Aweek later Swoped with the old Packerd Bell and ,was no connection to my Graffic Card .Had to get a new power supply ( after a 11 hours on mem test found Erros ),Sorry You Cant get DD2 any more .Asked PCshop (TOLD ) Find me some memmory ,Found , also Swapped the Hard Drine 4 the main 1 that said Disk Read Error every time PC started …
BEST Thing I got Was the UPS now i can shut my PC down before Telkom does .[B][I]end post[/I][/B]

Now I have 3 gigs memory
I had 2 -1 gig memory but showed erros when they workrd together
now have a new 2 gig stick DD"2 plus one old 1 gig

This Load Shedding is big in South Africa after a Coal silo colappesed.
Can have lights cut any time from 6AM to 10 Pm 2hours some times twice a Day .[B]No warning[/B]
Now with this uninterrupted power Supply [B]UPS[/B] have 20min to saveand shut down ♥♥♥

[QUOTE=diane7;2752767][B]Post from Facebook[/B]
Just to let yo all know Im still around .a tree blew down outside my flat .
Short story .WHEN my elctrisity came on BLEW my Power Supply …Aweek later Swoped with the old Packerd Bell and ,was no connection to my Graffic Card .Had to get a new power supply ( after a 11 hours on mem test found Erros ),Sorry You Cant get DD2 any more .Asked PCshop (TOLD ) Find me some memmory ,Found , also Swapped the Hard Drine 4 the main 1 that said Disk Read Error every time PC started …
BEST Thing I got Was the UPS now i can shut my PC down before Telkom does .[B][I]end post[/I][/B]

Now I have 3 gigs memory
I had 2 -1 gig memory but showed erros when they workrd together
now have a new 2 gig stick DD"2 plus one old 1 gig

This Load Shedding is big in South Africa after a Coal silo colappesed.
Can have lights cut any time from 6AM to 10 Pm 2hours some times twice a Day .[B]No warning[/B]
Now with this uninterrupted power Supply [B]UPS[/B] have 20min to saveand shut down ♥♥♥[/QUOTE]
Good to see you again. Glad you’ve got protection now!