Diagnose This GSA-H55N Problem?

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the LG GSA-H55N. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I bought this drive from an Amazon seller in January. It has the ability to burn dual-layer DVDs. I was using the Sonic CD-DVD burning software that came with my Dell. It worked fine to burn CDs and single-layer DVDs. The software did not recognize dual-layer DVDs.

This past weekend I bought newer Roxio CD-DVD burning software that could burn to dual layer disks, Using some Office-Max dual-layer DVDs I was able to burn several (5-6) DL data DVDs. Then (using the same media, only minutes after the last successful burn) I started getting errors that the media were bad. I attempted to burn several DVDs, each time the process ended quickly with the error. I tried burning a data CD and had the same problem. It is apparent from looking that some writing was taking place, but after varying period of time the process stopped. The ability to read from the drive appeared to become intermittent too.

I tried shutting down the machine for a while in case it was a heat-related problem, and I tried reinstalling the burning software. After reinstalling things went better - I was able to succesfully burn a CD and the DVD burned for longer, but I still couldn’t finish burning 6 gig-worth of data to a DL DVD without getting the bad media error.

Any reason you can think of that the burner would work one minute but not the next?

TIA,
-Scott

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Too bad DL media have a… “little” problem: all brands except Verbatim are crap. Moreover, if you use [B]DL -R[/B] discs you risk to create a media that your standalone is not able to read at all, so you must use DL [B]+R[/B] discs changing booktype in ROM to get the maximum compatibility.

My suggestion is to use only Verbatim [B]DL +R[/B] discs, and if you want the best software I suggest ImgBurn (it’s free and not bloated with a lot of useless features like Roxio or Nero).

Another thing you must check is your PSU. LG drives are rather picky with the power supply, and if your PSu is not enough stable the drive is not able to work correctly. Don’t check only the total wattage of the PSU, but also its reliability. Usually the “el cheapo” PSU are not exactly a good choice, because are not able to supply enough power to the system even if are rated for a high wattage.

I hope that this can help :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=geno888;2131137]Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Too bad DL media have a… “little” problem: all brands except Verbatim are crap. Moreover, if you use [B]DL -R[/B] discs you risk to create a media that your standalone is not able to read at all, so you must use DL [B]+R[/B] discs changing booktype in ROM to get the maximum compatibility.[/QUOTE]

Good to know that about Verbatim disks. I’m not sure whether I have DL +R or -R but all the DVDs that I was able to burn successfully played fine in my standalone. I don’t understand the part about changing booktype. Given that the first ones worked is this an issue?

My suggestion is to use only Verbatim [B]DL +R[/B] discs, and if you want the best software I suggest ImgBurn (it’s free and not bloated with a lot of useless features like Roxio or Nero).

I wish I had known about ImgBurn before I bought the Roxio burner. :frowning:

Another thing you must check is your PSU. LG drives are rather picky with the power supply, and if your PSu is not enough stable the drive is not able to work correctly. Don’t check only the total wattage of the PSU, but also its reliability. Usually the “el cheapo” PSU are not exactly a good choice, because are not able to supply enough power to the system even if are rated for a high wattage.

Do you think the power supply in the Dell would not be up to the task? Is there a reason to believe that the PS would have gotten me through the burning of several DL DVDs before causing problems? I wonder if temorarily unplugging the second CD drive and/or second hard drive would relieve the demand on the DVD burner so that I could successfully burn more discs…

I hope that this can help :slight_smile:

Many thanks. :slight_smile:

-Scott

oops :o

I had no idea that you have a Dell computer. For what I know the PSU is good enough to run the system :flower:

As first start I think that you should do some tests with Verbatim discs. This should solve the problem.

To know what discs are you using at the moment, you can use CD-DVD Speed or ImgBurn itself to check the mediacode. in ImgBurn the mediacose can be found as shown in the picture :slight_smile: