Di thinks her Nvidia GeForse 8500GT is broken

vbimport

Hi Just need some freaks info .
I think My Nividia Geforse 8500GT has died .

my son was playing games …
Said some thing Flashed on the Screen ( was broken and recoverd )

I turned pc on after 20 min screen Flashed ( blinking ) PC Froze .
worked in Safe mode ALL was Fine .
Restarted PC all worked Good OTHER Son Came to do Stuff …
I ALWAYS Wake up in the morning ( ASK WHAT Did yo do ) Nothing …

Di stuck all her Stuff in her Other Hard Drive and Formated ( read on the internet Could BE corrupt Stuff MotherboardCPU )

Left the Drivers 4 graffic card out ,As Soon As I installed them PC wont Start ( only in Safe Mode )
pic of boot screen not working . (graffic card )

Hey Di :slight_smile:

Other folks are much more experienced in the garphics card area than I am, but…

^ Looks like a problem with the drivers themselves might be worth investigating?

Can you tell us which driver version you installed? Did a previous version of those drivers work OK (if you can recall)?

My opinion, if Ms. Kitty’s analysis does not work: if installing drivers kills it, either the drivers are bad (as Arachne may be alluding to) OR the drivers are activating the full “potential” of the card (when the generic drivers in safe mode would not), and running under normal conditions triggers the bad part of hardware, causing the crash.

I hope it isn’t the latter and is simply the former. :confused:

Geforce 8xxx cards are indeed damned to die early :frowning:
–> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_8_Series#Problems

Michael

The fact the screenshot is from POST shows that is a hardware problem. Drivers cannot affect POST.

• Damaged VGA ( memory )
  • Bad PSU or vga power connector ( if exist )
  • Bad pci-e connector or with dust deposition

^you forgot the G92 didease :bigsmile:

Michael

If your motherboard has an onboard video card .Unplug the Nividia Geforse 8500GT form its PCI slot & see if your computer boots “normally” .

Comparing some ASCII values, looks like a systematic bit error in bit 4.

Remembering some tips about baking a card

It’s extreme, and taking everything to solder reflow temperature may degrade other components, so may be simpler & safer to just admit defeat, but it does look like the kind of fault that CAN respond to the baking treatment, if it survives the cure!

And yes, good idea to give the slot a blast of air duster and re-fit, before trying drastic solutions.

The screenshot appears to be in a different language. Is that normal or is that part of the problem?

[QUOTE=Arachne;2578272]Hey [B]Di[/B] :slight_smile:

Can you tell us which driver version you installed? Did a previous version of those drivers work OK (if you can recall)?[/QUOTE]

Drivers that came with the Instillation cd
yes they always worked
[B]Thanks [/B]

[I]I still go spell Force wrong :bigsmile: Was looking @the word in front of me .[/I]

[QUOTE=mciahel;2578285]Geforce 8xxx cards are indeed damned to die early :frowning:
–> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_8_Series#Problems

Michael[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that link some interesting stuf to read.
i think i have had this Card about 4 years ( thats probley old in pc terms )

[QUOTE=zhadoom;2578298]The fact the screenshot is from POST shows that is a hardware problem. Drivers cannot affect POST.

• Damaged VGA ( memory )
  • Bad PSU or vga power connector ( if exist )
  • Bad pci-e connector or with dust deposition[/QUOTE]

[B]I think dust could be a problem.[/B]
tried today to get some canned air but my town is lame .
I have More Time to play around no games 4 Kids to play
Every thing is else working fine and I can watch my Movies with VLC player :clap:
windows media player croaked :smiley:

[QUOTE=cholla;2578310]If your motherboard has an onboard video card .Unplug the Nividia Geforse 8500GT form its PCI slot & see if your computer boots “normally” .[/QUOTE]

Thanks
MY PC is Booting ok at the moment Without the Graffic card Drivers
I dont know it it has ana onboard Vidio card
[B]MY PC[/B] from speccy

[QUOTE=Matth;2578329]Comparing some ASCII values, looks like a systematic bit error in bit 4.

Remembering some tips about baking a card

It’s extreme, and taking everything to solder reflow temperature may degrade other components, so may be simpler & safer to just admit defeat, but it does look like the kind of fault that CAN respond to the baking treatment, if it survives the cure!

And yes, good idea to give the slot a blast of air duster and re-fit, before trying drastic solutions.[/QUOTE]

Well if i have to replace the Nvidia card No harm in baking a Dead card :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=RichMan;2578332]The screenshot appears to be in a different language. Is that normal or is that part of the problem?[/QUOTE]

I dont Know what language that is .
That is THE PROBLEM ja
[B]Thanks [/B]
[I]one shot bust other shot not bust :bigsmile:[/I]

Diane, you have an ECS 945G-M3 motherboard, which [B]does[/B] have integrated video with it. When you remove the Nvidia video card, you should be able to hook your monitor up to the D-sub connector on the back of the motherboard and use the integrated Intel video.

Since you have the 32bit version of Windows Vista, this is the download for the Intel graphics driver: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=16312&lang=eng
Sometimes there is a different driver specifically used by the motherboard manufacturer, but I checked, and they link to this same driver.

The integrated video will not be very good for running games, but should be ok for anything else, and should work until you get this card fixed, or buy another one.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2578466]The integrated video will not be very good for running games, but should be ok for anything else, and should work until you get this card fixed, or buy another one.[/QUOTE]

[B]Thanks[/B] for finding that link :flower:

I dont play games SO not worrying about that .
[B]Kids Can now Finnish School projects[/B] :bigsmile:
after i put my office /encarta/printer/scanner azits 1.10 AM sunday Letme do it now then i can sleep in late [I]( no brats to go to school)[/I]
:bigsmile:

I can’t add anything to what kerry posted. I would try that first .
I will add the reason your PC is booting OK right now without the specific graphic card drivers is it is probably using the generic drivers. As above these don’t access any of the special features of the Nvidia card.

It’s not a language, several letters are being substituted - Serial becomes seraad, Paralled Paradded etc.
Bit 4, Or 3, it you call the first bit 0, is stuck at 0, so it seems like possibly a slot connection problem, or a memory or data bus problem on the card, either a solder joint broken, or possibly if there is any conductive dust, a short forcing a line to 0 - in practice, it’s bust - if you were overclocking it, then de-overclock.

Generic un-accelerated drivers, using no accelerated features, often can continue to operate despite defective memory etc.

And yes, the Intel onboard graphics are barely adequate, with the lousy GMA900 not supporting Aero or OpenGL in Vista - if you have things that require OpenGL, you may need to try an openGl wrapper
http://titaniumgl.tk/

Impressive observation Matth!

[QUOTE=RichMan;2578476]Impressive observation Matth![/QUOTE]

Agreed! Thanks Matth, you learn something new everyday! :smiley:

Only time I ever saw odd symbols/letters substituted, is in regards to IDE devices, when the connection or cable’s been dodgy, so it threw me bit.