DH20A4H to DH20A4P Crossflash Failure

vbimport

Hello,

I am trying to crossflash my Lite-ON DH20A4H to a DH20A4P. Currently I have the QP5B. I backed up my EEPROM and ran Flash Utility 6.0.1 (so as not to get the error with the original Lite-ON utility that there’s a model mismatch), but after flashing, the drive’s light is just blinking, even after a power cycle.

Flashing back to QP5B fixes all the problems.

My question is, if the only difference between the DH20A4P and the DH20A4H is lightscribe, shouldn’t the crossflash take?

Oh, the reason I want to crossflash is because there’s a piece of Software called “BurnerMax” that sends a signal to the drive to increase the recognized disc space on dual layer DVDs higher, so that you’re able to burn XDG3 titles for Xbox360. For some reason, the program won’t work with QP5B, but it does work with the DH20A4P’s 9P59.

I used codeguys’ firmware referenced in this thread:
http://club.myce.com/f44/liteon-dh20a4p-h-fast-burn-enhanced-overspeed-enhanced-oht-firmware-231875/?referrerid=65105

These guys do an amazing job.

Onem ore thing, I have an “A” laser drive.

I had a DH20A4P a while back.
IIRC I could flash it either direction.
I don’t remember the exact procedure.
I have both EEPROM Utility & Flash Utility .
This is a link for the Flash Utility:
http://club.myce.com/f44/flash-utility-plds-liteon-based-optical-drives-v6-0-1-a-190420/
The EEPROM Utility is in the link you posted.

Did you “backup EEPROM” on the drive before it was flashed with QP5B ?
If you did you may need to “Restore EEPROM” to the original.
Then try the crossflash to DH20A4P 9P59 .

Yes, I backed up the EEPROM before I flashed, but there’s no need to restore it, it wasn’t changed or damaged through flashing.

Procedurally, I didn’t do anything different from what you suggest.

I loaded the Flash Utility 6.01, chose the 9P59, flashed, and then the light started blinking after the flash. Flashing back to QP5B brought everything back to normal.

Any other advice?

The drive identity in the EEPROM doesn’t match the firmware and needs modification. The convert drive function in EEPROM Utility should take care of this, [I][B]but before doing anything make sure you have done sufficient research and understand the risks of crossflashing[/B][/I]. All the information you need to crossflash a Lite-On drive of this vintage is already here on the forum.

But I would be very surprised if crossflashing is necessary. The hardware differences between the P & H drives are minimal - just the minor addition of some Lightscribe hardware. Before risking a crossflash, I would first check for yourself if it is actually necessary.

Are you using the Burner Max payload tool? ImgBurn has been able to send the payload itself for some time, so the payload tool is obsolete.

Ok,

So, if I have this straight:

1. Backup EEPROM for safety
  2. Perform crossflash
  3. Reboot
  4. Convert drive

Is that right?

Also, where do you see this option in ImgBurn? Are you talking about enabling “Force Hypertuning”?

In ImgBurn: Tools > Drive > Send BurnerMAX Payload

EDIT: and yes, that would be the right order of events.

Just be aware that a successful crossflash still does not guarantee success with your task, as it’s been reported to not work that well on older drives for some people, even when using good media.

[QUOTE=mockingbird;2748519]Yes, I backed up the EEPROM before I flashed, but there’s no need to restore it, it wasn’t changed or damaged through flashing.

Procedurally, I didn’t do anything different from what you suggest.

I loaded the Flash Utility 6.01, chose the 9P59, flashed, and then the light started blinking after the flash. Flashing back to QP5B brought everything back to normal.

Any other advice?[/QUOTE]

My thoughts were flashing back to the original factory firmware might “clear” the chip in this drive. That might get it to correctly install the 9P59 flash.

I don’t have any Lite-On drives working right now .
The DH20A4P I still have began to fail after many successful burns. I suspected the laser was beginning to fail . Since the drive was still working to some extent I kept it. It has the 9P59 installed in it . This worked for a long time. I never tried to crossflash it to a DH20A4H or use
QP5B .

[QUOTE=Albert;2748525]In ImgBurn: Tools > Drive > Send BurnerMAX Payload

EDIT: and yes, that would be the right order of events.

Just be aware that a successful crossflash still does not guarantee success with your task, as it’s been reported to not work that well on older drives for some people, even when using good media.[/QUOTE]
Thanks Albert!

Command completed successfully, and “Free Space” shows 8,738,897,920 after clicking OK:

The DH20A4P I still have began to fail after many successful burns.

If you replace the PCB capacitors with high-quality Japanese equivalents before using the drive, it should last longer. What happens is that the cheap capacitors Lite-ON use fail after a while, and excess ripple goes to the laser and kills it. After the laser is burnt out, obviously replacing the caps does nothing. If you have a Lite-ON drive you like, re-cap it pre-emptively before putting it to use.

Cheers, and thanks.

Glad you’ve got it working.