DH-20A4P slow to rip movies?

Just upgraded from a athlon 2800+@2400mhz/1gb/dvd1648reader on XP SP2 to Abit IP35 w/ core2duo @ 3ghz/2gb/liteon DH-20A4P on Vista 32bit, i’d say it’s “equal” in ripping performance (no compression), tried dvdshrink/recode which were much slower than my old system, however dvdfab is equal?

any ideas? is this known to be a mediocre reader?

when i open drivespeed i can only make it go to 12x hmm

[QUOTE=BoostFrenzy;1947040]Just upgraded from a athlon 2800+@2400mhz/1gb/dvd1648reader on XP SP2 to Abit IP35 w/ core2duo @ 3ghz/2gb/liteon DH-20A4P on Vista 32bit, i’d say it’s “equal” in ripping performance (no compression), tried dvdshrink/recode which were much slower than my old system, however dvdfab is equal?

any ideas? is this known to be a mediocre reader?

when i open drivespeed i can only make it go to 12x hmm[/QUOTE]

just put my Aopen DVD1648 in this system to compare, the Aopen is a good 33% faster at ripping than the liteon :frowning:

some of you may remember this little legendary aopen drive from years ago :stuck_out_tongue:

now the question is, what recent drives can compete with or beat this aopen in ripping performance?

no activity in these forums anymore?

[QUOTE=BoostFrenzy;1947298]no activity in these forums anymore?[/QUOTE]

LOL!

Do you have any idea how fast 12x ripping a DL is??
Surely not.

[QUOTE=chef;1947364]LOL!

Do you have any idea how fast 12x ripping a DL is??
Surely not.[/QUOTE]

yes i do, i was stating that with drivespeed i can’t force the drive faster than 12X and i top out much less than i do with the DVD-1648 (which easily goes to 16x and often see 15000-17000kb/sec), but thanks for your help

I’ll trade off a good dual layer burner for ripping speed any day.

Edit:
Actually i use my Samsung slow rippers most of the time. Very accurate. I’ve had a few movies lately that only they can read.

OK, but as pointed out, there are few VERY FAST drives and they are mostly burners. :wink:

but my question is what drive, burner or rom, rips AS FAST OR FASTER than a aopen dvd1648?

Why do you need a burner to rip as fast as the 1648? Does the extra time waiting hamper you in some way? The 1648 non-Pro is only a UDMA-2 interface, whereas the 20A4P is a UDMA-4 interface. So the performance of the 20A4P is hampered by the 1648 if they are connected on the only IDE channel. If you have a 1648 Pro version, that has UDMA-4. I got a 1648 Pro version a few weeks ago and it works well, using it mainly for ripping, while leaving the burners to…burn. I still have the 1648 non-Pro, but that’s in hibernation now. Just spray paint the bezel and it will match your black case. Double posting is forbidden, btw.

I backup several movies a week, part of my intention of building this new system was to accomlish that quicker than before (went from athlonXP 2400+@2400mhz to Core2Duo E6420 @ 3.2ghz), would like to rip/transcode/burn quickly as possible

[QUOTE=BoostFrenzy;1950131]I backup several movies a week, part of my intention of building this new system was to accomlish that quicker than before (went from athlonXP 2400+@2400mhz to Core2Duo E6420 @ 3.2ghz), would like to rip/transcode/burn quickly as possible[/QUOTE]

That only counts for speeding up transcoding, everything else cannot be faster than before aka is not processor relevant.