DH-16A6S Crossflashing

vbimport

I’m stuck with one of these burners and I’d like to crossflash it to a more mainstream firmware so that I can tweak it. there wasn’t much info available on this unit so I went and had Flash_Utility dump my rom for me and I opened up the resulting .bin file and searched for lite (as in liteon)… I managed to find a reference to DH20A6 which is the ihas 120/220. I’m almost certain this is a rebadged ihas, but I’d like some confirmation from someone before I try a crossflash. also, I can’t get omnipatcher to open the ihas 120/220 firmware I’ve downloaded off of the firmware page, it gives me a perl error so I can’t patch for crossflash if I want to. any ideas guys?

1. Which firmware version have you got on the drive now? If it is not the already posted YD12 then please share it with us - someone will most likely need it at some point.
  2. Make sure you backup your EEPROM too using the EEPROM utility.
  3. Just download the latest unscrambled iHAS120 firmware from this site and then use the Flash Utility to crossflash the drive and then reboot. iHAS220 is for lightscribe drives, and your DH-16A6S is a non lightscribe model I think, so you should flash it with the iHAS120 firmware. Flashing the drive with the iHAS220 firmware will not give you lightscribe abilities because they require extra hardware which is missing from non lightscribe units.
  4. In the unlikely event the LED flashes continuously after the upgrade use the crossflash tab in the EEPROM utility to fix the checksum. Reboot.
  5. That’s it, you’ve now crossflashed to a true iHAS120!

Let us know how it goes!

I followed all of the steps, was about tot flash it and then realized that it had labelflash… So now I really have no idea who makes it. Would uploading the firmware help in determining it?

I ran VSO Inspector and I’m running firmware YA16, which seems like it’s a different revision. Just trying to get to the bottom of this, because I can’t find anything on this set of revisions online.

[QUOTE=contradude;2468128]I followed all of the steps, was about tot flash it and then realized that it had labelflash… So now I really have no idea who makes it. Would uploading the firmware help in determining it?[/QUOTE]

It can’t have Labelflash as LiteON doesn’t manufacture drives with LabelFlash support … maybe you meant LightScribe :confused:

How do you know that the drive supports LightScribe? As far as I know DH20A6S is a non-lightscribe model. The lightscribe version should be DH20A6L. Can you tell us exactly what the label of the drive says (maybe post a picture)? If you’ve got Nero Info Tool or DVDInfo run those and post the screenhots here. That should indicate if the drive is actually reporting that is LightScribe capable.

Also run DiscInfo (its small and free) and post a screenshot here.

YD firmware indicates a DELL OEM drive, YA means that your drive has been rebadged for a different OEM manufacturer than DELL, which doesn’t really matter as the original drive is still a DH20A6x.

Upload a copy of your firmware and I’ll have a closer look at it.

YA16.bin at RapidShare

The forum won’t let me upload more than like 200kb. didn’t realize it because my case has a cover over the door. it says lightscribe on the the actual drive itself. this is a PLDS drive but I’m beginning to wonder if it’s a rebadge for something else… any ideas you have would rock. I hate this firmware lol.

[QUOTE=contradude;2468403]YA16.bin at RapidShare

The forum won’t let me upload more than like 200kb. didn’t realize it because my case has a cover over the door. it says lightscribe on the the actual drive itself. this is a PLDS drive but I’m beginning to wonder if it’s a rebadge for something else… any ideas you have would rock. I hate this firmware lol.[/QUOTE]

I had a look at the firmware and I found absolutely nothing to suggest that your drive is not a normal DH20A6S (iHAS120) clone …

As such this unit should not have the necessary indexing hardware required for Lightscribe support. As for Labelflash, as I already said LiteON has never produced any such drive. Only Pioneer and Sony/NEC/Optiarc make Labelflash drives.

I would just go ahead and flash it with the latest iHAS120 patched firmware from C0deKing. The file you’re after is iHAS120.7LC2.patched-fr-eoht.exe. You can always revert back to the original state (now that you have backups of your original FW and EEPROM) if by any reason you’re not happy about how the crossflashed drive operates (which should not be the case). The 7LC2 firmware (dated 2009/03) is nearly a year newer than the YA16 firmware (dated 2008/05) your currently using, not to mention CK’s patches.

sorry I was exhausted last night, it does say labelflash across the front bezel, not lightscribe. still will try the ihas120 firmware, but if it isn’t an ihas120 OEM knockoff what is it?

[QUOTE=contradude;2468637]sorry I was exhausted last night, it does say labelflash across the front bezel, not lightscribe. still will try the ihas120 firmware, but if it isn’t an ihas120 OEM knockoff what is it?[/QUOTE]

It is possible someone might have changed the bezel I guess …

Try using either Nero Info Tool if you’ve got Nero installed or DVDInfo (download a trial version and run it) and post the screenhot here. That will tell without any doubt if the drive has Labelflash as the bezel suggests.

here is my nero info tool screenshot

nero info tool.zip (108 KB)

[QUOTE=contradude;2469184]here is my nero info tool screenshot[/QUOTE]

Hmm … strange … maybe LiteON implemented Labelflash (LabelTag) support in that firmware at the request of their respective OEM partner (might be Acer?) … if they would have released publicly the equivalent iHAS drive based on their iHAS numbering system, that would make it equivalent with an iHAS520. They never released an iHAS520 drive though …

The only 20x drives from the A6 family LiteON released were iHAS120 and iHAS220.

Labelflash support is all implemented in software, it doesn’t require additional hardware support like in the case of Lightscribe, so hardware-wise your unit should be the same as an iHAS120.

You can corossflash to an iHAS120 but if you do, after crossflashing you won’t have LabelFlash support anymore, but in return you’ll have a much newer firmware which should offer better writing quality, especially in terms of CK’s patched version I mentioned.

If you really need Labelflash support then you’ll have to stick with the existing firmware, since you will not find any LiteON firmware which supports Labelflash, because LiteON never released such a drive (except to some of their OEM partners it seems…). Well, you always learn something new :eek:

lol after using the flash utility to crossflash, then using the eeprom utility to convert it, it works as an ihas120. I need to test it all out, but thank you very much. I’m going to try codeking’s patched firmwares instead of stock now so i’ll cross my fingers.

Did it work??

and yes these(dh16a6s) where made for Acer

Acer PC,

Detected drive: 2-2-2-0 H:ATAPI DVD A DH16A6S YA17

Using utilities and EXE firmware, both stock and patched, all I get is:

No matching drive detected ! … or … Unable to process this EXE file !

If I could find a .bin firmware to use with the Flash Utility, that should certainly work. (Or maybe flash to the Dell firmware for this burner, then try a patched firmware to crossflash).

I had wanted to bit-set this drive to DVD-ROM, and the software included with the Acer PC had this feature, but the burner as supplied won’t bit-set. So I thought I would crossflash, but all I could do is save the firmware to disk. :Z

YA17 firmware:
http://hotfile.com/dl/78175323/7e77d86/YA17_firmware_for_Acer_DH-16A6S.rar.html

[QUOTE=mullardel34;2552447]
Using utilities and EXE firmware, both stock and patched, all I get is:

No matching drive detected ! … or … Unable to process this EXE file !

If I could find a .bin firmware to use with the Flash Utility, that should certainly work. (Or maybe flash to the Dell firmware for this burner, then try a patched firmware to crossflash).
[/QUOTE]

Crossflashing is possible. You need to use the Flash Utility to crossflash and you need an unscrambled file in order to do it.

The unscrambled file can either be a *.bin file, or it can be one of C0deKing’s *.exe files (yes, you can just load the iHAS120.7LC2.patched-fr-eoht.exe file for example as the input firmware file in the Flash Utility and then flash it to your drive). You can’t use the original LiteOn *.exe files this way (as input to the Flash Utility) because they are scrambled.

If the drive blinks continuously after the crossflash just use the convert drive function in the EEPROM utility.

Thanks for the firmware dump :flower:

Thanks for the tip…Crossflashing a burner is not quite as easy as it once was.

I flashed the drive with the firmware “ATAPI.iHAS120_6.7L0M.stock”, an unscrambled .exe file. The flash appeared to write without a problem, but the drive could not be used.

Windows Explorer could not see that there was a disk in the drive.

The OEM burning software could not see that there was a drive installed.

I used the utility to check the eeprom checksum, no problem existed.

The drive could be bit-set to DVD-ROM (even though it was un-usuable).

I flashed back to the original YA17 firmware, the drive still works, no harm done. :confused:

I’m ready to flash again, but there is no solution.

Oops, I re-flashed the drive with the firmware “ATAPI.iHAS120_6.7L0M.stock” while making the previous reply (which I was not allowed to edit, sorry…)

I then used the “CONVERT” feature in the eeprom utility as suggested, and all is well. The drive is doing a test burn now, and everything appears to be working. :slight_smile:

Thanks !

That is exactly what happened to me.
I thought I lost the drive, flash back with the oem 17, and everything went back to normal.
It would be nice to have the bitsetting to work, cos disk are easier to read for many device.
Just let us know if it work
thanks

[QUOTE=dany-boy;2553001]That is exactly what happened to me.
I thought I lost the drive, flash back with the oem 17, and everything went back to normal.
It would be nice to have the bitsetting to work, cos disk are easier to read for many device.
Just let us know if it work
thanks[/QUOTE]

Trust me, if done correctly, crossflashing works. A number of people have done it already. Just make sure you backup your existing firmware and your EEPROM before you start, flash the drive with one of the iHAS120 firmwares, restart your machine, then use the Convert Drive feature in the EEPROM Utility, restart again (not really necessary but do it just in case) and that should be it. The latest iHAS120 firmware is 7LC3.

LiteON drives are notoriously hard to kill, so crossflashing is pretty safe (for safety leave the Update boot code tick box unchecked in the Flash Utility). If you’re not happy with the result, you can always flash your original firmware and EEPROM back.

If I had used the “CONVERT” feature after flashing the first time around, I would never have had a problem. :o The conversion is very easy to do, and works perfectly. :iagree:

Later, I will try the Smartburn/OPC/ForceHyperTuning settings (in the Settings Utility), and of course, flash to the latest firmware.