DH-16A1P ? (Info Please!)

Is there a newer fw than RG11 that is on it ?

I think it’s a Lite-On (The faceplate is Lite-On.); Is it ?
(I can’t find anything with Google or Lite-On.)

Can it Bitset to DVD-Rom ?

Can it be crossflashed ?

It was pulled from an eMachine Desktop. The manufacture date is July 2007. Model DH-16A1P19C ; both sticker and label are on the bottom.
Burn On,
Russell

PS. No manufacturer name on label . No name; No blame! LOL!

Hi,[QUOTE=Pernal;1928500]
I think it’s a Lite-On (The faceplate is Lite-On.); Is it ?[/quote]if you are able to create a backup using C0deKing’s Flash Tool, then it IS a Liteon :slight_smile:

Can it Bitset to DVD-Rom ?
It depends on the crippling applied to the OEM firmware. You’ll have to try out.

Can it be crossflashed ?
I am not sure if the DH series is equivalent to the LH drives :confused:

EDIT: At least DH-20* drives could successfully be crossflashed to LH-20* firmware: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/dh20a1s-drive-224633/

Michael

Well, I was able to crossflash the DH-16A1P to LH-16A1P WL06 F/W. I did a burn - It didn’t Bitset and no option to bitset with Lite-On 100/135 tools.
Burn On,
Russell

Hi Pernal. LH-16A1P firmware will bitset. You must have a blank disc in the drive when you change the bitsetting and tell it to save the setting if you want it to remain this way. :wink:

I tried that.
When I flashed with WLO8 FW; It will bitset.
Thanks C0deKing ; Because of your FW ; It worked.
Burn On,
Russell

Hi ive just had problems after installing win 7. My drive was a DH16A1P. Certain software would not write to my DVD disks.

To convert to a LH16AP I just ran the flash utility and when asked for a file I used the 16A1P.WL08.stock.:clap:

I know nothing about cd, dvd drives and I was going to just buy a new pioneer drive. The utility worked and I even ran your EEPROM utility and enbled bit setting what ever that does. My win 7 now writes to this drive. I was going to run your smartburn program but I wont push my luck

The drive is now seen as a LH16AP and I have just wrote this to show my appreciation for your site and the software you allow people to utilise.:clap:

Darren (Huddersfield UK)

Sorry for bumping an ancient thread - but I wanted to stay on topic.

An old Lenovo XP machine having an OEM DH-16A1P landed in my basement for HDD wipe and disposal. Just for fun I added some RAM and installed Windows 8.1 to see how it runs (it’s fine). Going to play with the drive, it seemed crippled. While it burned discs OK, the only LiteOn option supported was SmartBurn, and neither Nero CD/DicsSpeed nor Opti Drive Control would do ANYTHING with it except display the ATIP data on an inserted disc.

So I cross flashed it with the last issued LH-16A1P firmware; it burns discs fine and now the hypertuning and overspeed options are available. Thing is: I still can’t do any disc scanning with the utilities above. The START button is greyed out, as are all the TEST items in the pulldown menu. However, Kprobe works! Thinking Win8 might be the issue, I plugged in an external USB drive and everything works just fine on that drive.

I’d read long ago that there was some kind of turf war involving the Nero util and that some drives were effectively “blacklisted” - is the 16A1P one of those?

[QUOTE=schuster;2728200]
I’d read long ago that there was some kind of turf war involving the Nero util and that some drives were effectively “blacklisted” - is the 16A1P one of those?[/QUOTE]

Shouldn’t be blacklisted. Key word: shouldn’t.

As long as the drive identifies itself as a LiteOn (LITEON DVDRW …, or the generic ATAPI DVD A… naming scheme they adopted around that time), it should not be blacklisted.

What was the external drive you connected, just out of curiosity?

[QUOTE=Albert;2728206]Shouldn’t be blacklisted. Key word: shouldn’t.

As long as the drive identifies itself as a LiteOn (LITEON DVDRW …, or the generic ATAPI DVD A… naming scheme they adopted around that time), it should not be blacklisted.

What was the external drive you connected, just out of curiosity?[/QUOTE]

A DS-8A3S slimline in a USB enclosure.

I had a DH-16A1P but I don’t remember if it worked with Nero CD/DicsSpeed .
I crossflashed it soon after I got the computer that had it.
Crossflashed to a LH-20A1P with the tools & flash from
C0deKing in this link:

IIRC Nero CD/DicsSpeed worked with this drive after the flash.

OK. I’m beginning to think this [B]is[/B] a Windows 8.1 thing.

I just plugged in my trusty 20A4P (in USB enclosure) and it exhibits the same behavior.

The behavior seems to vary from drive to drive, but when you’re bitten the pattern is like this: Opti won’t scan DVD’s because it somehow believe the disc is empty (0 sectors). If you try, it says DISC TOO SMALL. If you put in a CD, the START button comes back and all the tests work. I assume this is the underlying reason why Nero behaves the same way.

I’ve tried running the utilities in every compatibility mode from XPSP2 on upwards and it really doesn’t change anything. Somehow the ASPI interface is different and it is munging the information read back from the drive.