Device not recognized with 2.6.22.x kernel

Problem - Nero 3.0.1.3 will not recognize the ide dvd combo drive when using 2.6.22.x kernel.

Background - using 2.6.21.x everything works fine and dandy. Compiling the 2.6.22.x kernel using the same .config everything’s fine, except Nero. Only Image drive is there, the physical drive is not.
As said, the config is the same, the system sees the drive, I have the neccessary rights, etc. I do NOT use libata in either kernel, so the drive is /dev/hdb.

The kernels are compiled using the Zenwalk (slackware) stock kernelsource, patched with realtime patch. Main difference to stock is using ata i/o sata.

What gives?

Case solved - under 2.6.21x nero works with the traditional IDE (PATA) driver but under 2.6.22.x only with the libata (SATA/PATA) driver (at least on my box)

This sounds a little bit strange to me. Ok, with the new kernels, it is working without any problem with the new libata. I will try a custom 2.6.22 without it to see what happens.

It also works using the PATA driver, IF the support for ATA-CDROM is disabled (only support for hard disks enabled) and scsi emulation is enabled on the other hand.
So after all you MUST have scsi emulated CD/DVD drive to have Nero work under 2.6.22.x

nerolinux 3.0.21 still doesn’t seem to see any of my ide drives on fedora7, 2.6.22 kernel with libata - unless i run as root, which obviously is a very bad thing ™

2 things that you could check:

• the permissions on the /dev/sg* -> Nero Linux uses them (and not /dev/scd*)
  • your SELinux audit log. Maybe something is not allowed by your SELinux configuration.

(And of course, running Nero Linux as root is a really really bad thing… But this tells you that Nero is able to get access to your drives if it has enough rights)

[QUOTE=mathf;1926512]2 things that you could check:

• the permissions on the /dev/sg* -> Nero Linux uses them (and not /dev/scd*)
  • your SELinux audit log. Maybe something is not allowed by your SELinux configuration.

(And of course, running Nero Linux as root is a really really bad thing… But this tells you that Nero is able to get access to your drives if it has enough rights)[/QUOTE]

I can access it as root. But how can make it accessable for standart users.

Make sure that the users that should get access to the device has RW permissions on the corresponding /dev/sg* device file(s).
For more details, you can look in the Nero Linux Manual, or in your Linux distribution documentation.