DEVICE NOT READY (no reference position found)

I am trying to back-up a DVD MARLEY & ME. I have 4 different DVD burning prorammes and they all produce the same error message.

I am quite sure the DVD original is fine and that my DVD Lite-on unit (less than 12 months old) is fine also.

I am sure this is a blocking mechanism/device toprevent backing up/burning and so on.

Surely, one of our geeks can produce a remedy. Comments such as - clean the DVD or are you sure you have not inserted the DVD upside down in the tray will offend.

Hi catchbull@4 and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Can your drive read and write all other media you feed it with? Is it only this DVD that you are having problems with? When does the error message come up? When reading the original DVD or when trying to write the image to blank media?

Yes, I can read and write all other media. I can also play the movie from the same DVD Drive. However, when it comes to copying, it won’t start to read or do anything other than display Device Not Ready (no reference position found). So, the problem arises whilst trying to read the media. It is only this particular DVD that has this problem. It is in fact the least successful attempt to burn a DVD that I have ever experienced.

As I have received no response to this problem, I have asked myself where does the error message come from? And who wrote it?

The answer may be found from the manufacturer’s programmer and in this case is LITE-ON. I shall try and contacttheir support arm to see what they can tell me. Surely THEY must know!!

Sorry for not replying earlier but I was away and this thread somehow slipped my attention.[QUOTE=catchbull@4;2287126]Yes, I can read and write all other media. I can also play the movie from the same DVD Drive. However, when it comes to copying, it won’t start to read or do anything other than display Device Not Ready (no reference position found). So, the problem arises whilst trying to read the media. It is only this particular DVD that has this problem. It is in fact the least successful attempt to burn a DVD that I have ever experienced.[/QUOTE]It is quite odd indeed that you can actually play the movie with no problems but you cannot even start the copy procedure, given you use appropriate software. All protections i am familiar with will of course let you start at least but will maybe try to make it difficult to read at some point introducing intentional errors.

I don’t believe you will get any help from lite-on but if you have please let us know.

What programs have you used up to now to make a copy? You mention you have used 4 but you did not name them. Have you tried the usual way, ripping the contents with a program like dvdfab or something?

Previously, I had tried Nero, DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter and DVD FAB Platinum 4. All without success.

I travelled widely on the internet without anyone coming up with a meaning for Device Not Ready (no reference position found).

I tried looking for support from the drivemaker in Taiwan…LITE-ON. I was either very tired or I found no help there either.

But the good news is…as best I can recall…

Early in one day recently, I thought I would try again. I put the HARLEY & ME original in the drive and started with NERO. But DVD FAB Platinum 4 must have got a signal to activate. So, when it came up I must have hit the start button and away it went!!! Reading and copying finished with no read errors at all!

Well, this is a happy result however, the Device Not Ready etc message is still unexplained. I still feel the programmer at Lite-On knows the meaning but to pursue it now is pointless.

Thank you for your help and interest…Kind Regards Catchbull @ 4

Nero, Shrink and DVD decrypter were not the best choices, actually the first two can not back up commercial DVDs which are almost certainly copy protected.

I can’t really understand why DVDFab didn’t do it in the first place, but it’s a good thing you got it working after all, thanx for letting us know :slight_smile: