Device Info using MMC commands

Hi all!

First of all sorry by my english :(.

I’m developing (or at least trying to develop :P) a CD/DVD recording software for GNU/Linux and *BSD systems from scratch. I’m now getting all posible information about the device: its capabalities, features, etc.

I know that the two main ways to get information are:

• Page 2Ah
  • GET_CONFIGURATION MMC command.

The problem is what sometimes i have to “mix” the info that i get with both ways, and try to unify it. My main problem now is how to know if a device reads/writes DVD-R, DVD-RW and DVD-R DL media, becouse in the MMC5 specification (www.t10.org) there is no info about it (there are Feautre Definitions to know if reads/writes DVD+** medias, but nothing about DVD-**). I could use Page 2Ah to know if the device reads/writes DVD-R, but what about DVD-RW & DVD-R DL??

Another question. Is there any way to get information about detecting and using non-standar capabalityes of a device ?? (audiomaster, disct@too, varirec, etc, etc).

Thanks for advance!!

Ah!! the project web page is http://g4c.sourceforge.net . Take a look & comment it plz. : )

For DVD-RW, use GetConfiguration() for feature 0x2F and test the DVD-RW bit (see 5.3.25 in MMC5). I don’t think the spec for DVD-R DL is published yet.

ray

Sequential write is handled by Bit 3 (AFAIK) of feature 0x2f, layer jump is handled by feature 0x33

mmmmmm, thanks a lot!!!
Your posts seems to be usefull. I’ll test your ideas after university exams.

THANKS!! :slight_smile:

For further information check this file for example.

Hum, very very interesting. I thought that there were only one MMC specifications: from www.t10.org. But the Mt. Fuji spec. are also very good. In some cases has more information. : ) .
Thanks!!

Not too sure, but correct me if I’m wrong. The ones at t10, the downloadable docs r drafts, r they not?

Also, it’s a joint effort by various parties, so I would assume the (buyable) final version will be identical.

Hi,

arent’n there any sources or binaries for your project?
That would be very interesting, because I’m doing a CD/DVD copying software also from scratch.
Most of your web page is spanish, I can’t read it.

Cheers
Tom

tom0769, we’re going to post the source code in the web when we have more stable code. We have to codeclean and stabilice de source. I suppose that after the september exams, we could have more time to do this.
About the web page, sorry, i have to translate it. :slight_smile:

Hi,
cool, I’m looking forward to it! :clap:

Tom

hi;
using mozilla or firefox - the page/s translate/s quite nicely :bigsmile:

Tools menu | translate page

…and it works b/c it’s valid html (highly likely - haven’t tested, though easy to do)

Another question. Is there any way to get information about detecting and using non-standar capabalityes of a device ?? (audiomaster, disct@too, varirec, etc, etc).

For plextor specific stuff, look here, but be aware, you might get emails from belgian lawyers :stuck_out_tongue: