Developers release Android version for the desktop – runs next to Windows

We’ve just posted the following news: Developers release Android version for the desktop – runs next to Windows[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/02/ConsoleBot200x257-95x75.png[/newsimage]

The developers of Console OS today released the first public version of their Android fork. The operating system can run on desktop PCs with x86-processors.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/developers-release-android-version-desktop-runs-next-windows-75090/](http://www.myce.com/news/developers-release-android-version-desktop-runs-next-windows-75090/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I wonder how well it would work on a Windows tablet.

I would love a tablet which could dual boot between Windows & Android. There is no substitute for Windows when it comes to real work, but it for frivolous tablety things like games it cannot compete with Android.

Of course running Android software under Windows will be even better, if it ever happens…

[QUOTE=Ibex;2748503]I wonder how well it would work on a Windows tablet.

I would love a tablet which could dual boot between Windows & Android. There is no substitute for Windows when it comes to real work, but it for frivolous tablety things like games it cannot compete with Android.

Of course running Android software under Windows will be even better, if it ever happens…[/QUOTE]

That’s an interesting thought!

It wouldn’t particularly be of much use to me but I’m sure there would be plenty of people out there that would like to do this.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Funny how things go sometimes .
I was looking up information on doing this just yesterday.
The solutions I found all said games only worked fair .

I didn’t find anything about this program though.
I may give it a try .
The reason I wanted it was to test apps for Android.
In my case for the Android on my Keedox TV box.
I tried VLC player for Android directly on it & was disappointed.
I uninstalled VLC from it. I would like to test the Android VLC on my desktop as newer versions come out . Then when they get a version I like I will install it on the TV box.

[QUOTE=Wombler;2748547]That’s an interesting thought!

It wouldn’t particularly be of much use to me but I’m sure there would be plenty of people out there that would like to do this.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]
Having the freedom to run pretty much any Windows software is wonderful, even on an 8" screen.

There are so many simple everyday tasks which we take for granted under Windows & other desktop operating systems, but are impossible with Android. Most hardware is more than capable, it is just the lack of software & some annoying restrictions imposed by Google.

Want to extract some audio CDs? Bad luck, Android doesn’t support optical drives.

How about batch re-tagging some files already on your MP3 player? Android now blocks you from modifying files on memory cards & external drives, and the tagging software is so primitive you’ll probably have to do every file manually.

I was very anti-tablet until I used a full Windows tablet. They were fine for reading e-books, watching videos and playing certain types of games, but for any ‘real’ computing tasks they were unusable.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2748609]Having the freedom to run pretty much any Windows software is wonderful, even on an 8" screen.

There are so many simple everyday tasks which we take for granted under Windows & other desktop operating systems, but are impossible with Android. Most hardware is more than capable, it is just the lack of software & some annoying restrictions imposed by Google.

Want to extract some audio CDs? Bad luck, Android doesn’t support optical drives.

How about batch re-tagging some files already on your MP3 player? Android now blocks you from modifying files on memory cards & external drives, and the tagging software is so primitive you’ll probably have to do every file manually.

I was very anti-tablet until I used a full Windows tablet. They were fine for reading e-books, watching videos and playing certain types of games, but for any ‘real’ computing tasks they were unusable.[/QUOTE]

I can fully understand that, it’s just my needs are more limited as I do all my serious computing on my desktop PC.

Perhaps I’m a bit unambitious that way compared most users but I tend to use my tablet for relaxing rather than serious work. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

I do wander what these developers are thinking with this fork. Granted, an Android fork that can run on x86 desktops/laptops isn’t too bad of an idea, but It doesn’t seem to me like this system will do a great job. First of all,

By supporting only a handful of devices the developers want to offer “the optimal Android experience” and promises the device specific version is optimized for that device.
Unless the OS is being re-written entirely in assembly code, this “optimal experience” arguement makes no sense. How much do you want to be that 99.9% of this system is written in such a way that it should run reasonalby well on most machines, with only a small bit of code code being machine-dependent. As Microsoft discovered in the 80’s, placing your software on as many machines as possible right from the beginning is often the best way to get sales up.

Also, I’m not sure that only being able to run two programs at once is something that should be bragged about in this time period. Even Windows 1.0 could run more than two programs. The 80’s are over, this is the twenty-first century, so it might be time for a twenty-first century OS.

I do the same, putter around, check mails and reply, and hit my forums on my tablet while I’m home.
When I need to do any real work I’ll wake up my 6 core tower with 7 ultimate 64. Main box does my HDTV video captures and editing, runs my network, and sleeps at a watt when not needed.
About time for a new tablet again, this one is a 16gig quad core with a good 7" IPS screen, bigger is hard to hold and just not as portable.