Developer creates open source tool to prevent Microsoft from spying on you in Windows 10

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Developer creates open source tool to prevent Microsoft from spying on you in Windows 10[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/07/windows10-laptop-95x75.png[/newsimage]

A Reddit user and developer has created an open source tool that disables options that potentially allows Microsoft to track users.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/developer-creates-open-source-tool-to-prevent-microsoft-from-spying-on-you-in-windows-10-76896/](http://www.myce.com/news/developer-creates-open-source-tool-to-prevent-microsoft-from-spying-on-you-in-windows-10-76896/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

What would we do without the Free and Open Source communities?

While i’m sure this tool works wonders, and i have nothing but appreciation and admiration for the person to put the thought, time, and effort into creating it and making it available for free… here’s a thought: you want Microsoft to stop tracking you? HOW ABOUT YOU DON’T VOLUNTARILY “UPGRADE” TO THEIR NEW TRACKING SYSTEM AND IN NOT DOING SO SEND THEM A CRYSTAL CLEAR WARNING THAT THIS SHIT IS NOT OKAY.

I don’t know what’s more atrocious: Microsoft releasing this pretentious affront to ownership, freedom, and privacy or the millions of pathetic lapdogs who eagerly grab it with both hands and put it on their computers.

Voluntary upgrade is irrelevant, its the DEFAULT settings that are a violation here. THOSE need to change, not require a user to dig through 13 pages of settings to disable all the tracking. The upgrade itself is good, but users that aren’t advanced have NO idea what crazy amount of tracking and privacy invasion is going on. That’s not the user’s fault of upgrading, that’s M$'s fault for the masive breach.

That’s absurd. So the user has zero responsibility to investigate what they’re voluntarily installing on their computer? We’re all just helpless sheep consumers with red tags on our ears being lead around by unscrupulous evil corporations, is that it? No agency of our own, just poor, helpless, puppies, greedily and helplessly reaching out for anything our masters dump on our plate?

What a sad view of the average citizen you have Ch3vr0n. I wonder where you think those low expectations will lead us? Keep making egregious excuses like that for the willfully ignorant consumer and we’ll soon find out.

It is a shame that when you buy the newest of…Operating Systems, gaming stuff, cars, Smart TVs and a whole lot of other things you need to start disabling parts of it. Whatever you buy should be free of snoopers and if you want them just go to their website and down load them. I kind of wish I had never bought my first computer. I am old and a lot of me has been disabled so I have to pay to have things done now days. IE: I used to change firmware on DVD drives a few times a week or a day. I used to build my own desk tops. But no more. I don’t know why it is when you get to be useless and just taking up space and using up resources that you can’t just die.

[QUOTE=fortiori;2758011]I don’t know what’s more atrocious: Microsoft releasing this pretentious affront to ownership, freedom, and privacy or the millions of pathetic lapdogs who eagerly grab it with both hands and put it on their computers.[/QUOTE]

The overwhelming majority of people don’t care about their privacy anymore. Especially the younger population. Some act act like they care but when this attitude requires them to actually DO SOMETHING they default to doing nothing. The only way these people will ever care about their privacy is when they suffer a huge inconvenience in their lives. Even then, I don’t hold out much hope they will get off their asses and do much about it or even if they will be ALLOWED to do anything by their puppet masters. People are turning into sheep that will walk right off the cliff edge on command without question.

@fortiori: don’t even try to twist my words “sad view of average citizen”, you’ll end up on the losing side of the battle.

So the user has zero responsibility to investigate what they’re voluntarily installing on their computer? We’re all just helpless sheep consumers with red tags on our ears being lead around by unscrupulous evil corporations, is that it? No agency of our own, just poor, helpless, puppies, greedily and helplessly reaching out for anything our masters dump on our plate?

I never said anything about being helpless sheep consumer, what i said was that not everyone is as proficient with computers as another person. M$ is in the wrong here with all those tracking settings enabled by default, recording and transmitting our every move we make. My mom for example is 58, chugging along nicely on her laptop with win7 but when things like that win10 download popup started, or there’s in her mind complicated things she needs done. Who does she call on? Me, to ME those tasks she wants are trivial but to her they’re mammoth tasks. Is she to blame? No, she’s just not as proficient with a PC as I am. THAT is what i’m saying, nothing else.

The same applies to those tracking settings. For me those are childs play to dig through and switch off, for her they would be a mammoth task not knowing what they all mean or what kind of an impact they have. Is that her fault? No, it’s M$'s for enabling all those invasive settings by default in the first place. They should be OFF by default, and perhaps during setup could have asked us to “personalize” cortana etc for “the best experience (atleast in the eyes of M$)”. That way the user would CHOOSE for the tracking behavior, not the other way around.

I wonder where you think those low expectations will lead us? Keep making egregious excuses like that for the willfully ignorant consumer
and we’ll soon find out.

I don’t have low expectations, on the contrary, i have high expectations. Just not every pc user is a tech savvy one or grew up with using one. I’m not making any excuses, you on the other hand are twisting my words and i’m not having any of it.

M$ is in the wrong here with all those tracking settings enabled by default.

^
|
Ch3vr0n, they are indeed in the wrong, but they would never be able to get away with this if they were dealing with an engaged and involved populace. Whether you realize it or not, you’re putting the onus squarely on Microsoft as the sole party to blame when what is actually occurring is a team effort between those who are too lazy or apathetic to care what they put on their computer (consumer) and those who would take advantage of that apathy (Microsoft).

Microsoft will do whatever it thinks it can get away with. They are a corporation, that is their nature, and nothing is going to change that. Given that reality, it thus becomes our job as their consumer to police them with our wallets: the only language they understand.

14 million people downloaded Windows 10 on day one. What lessons do you think Microsoft learned from that, and what do you think we can expect from them in the future?

Microsoft THINKS it can do whatever it wants, but NOT in the EU. They’ve been sued before by the EU government for doing exactly what they are doing again now, but then it was simply for FORCING WMP, IE etc down our throats. Why you think they added that browser choice update suddenly, why you think they came up with N versions. Precisely, because the EU forced them to comply with the privacy rules and give the user the choice.

They’ve been sued before, i’ve got no doubt they’ll get sued again with win10. I’m pretty sure the insiders will have complained about all that, but MS did it anyway. Exactly what they did when they came up with UAC. And what’s the first thing ppl do with UAC after an OS installation, turn that shit off.

They probably think they did good, but if you follow global news articles what do they recommend? Telling everyone to turn that shit off, perhaps they still havent learned ppl value their privacy, but just maybe they will learn a little of it now. What i think we can expect? Hopefully improvements, hey the community outcry about the forced updates is exactly why they backed down. http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-backing-away-from-forced-updates-76780/They havent fully enabled it back to the way it was in vista and up, but its a start :slight_smile:

Since WinX will be the last Windows as we know it, ive got no idea what else to expect. I’m curious what that “windows as a service” thing will pan out to be.

I wonder what people would do if the postman stopped outside their house and opened their mail and read it first. Or if the parcel delivery man gives you an opened box and says, I had to look but your not supposed to know…That is what Microsoft is doing, but Majority of people DON’T know.
I for one will stay with Win 7. It does what I want it to do, not the other way around. As for Updates…That’s another Dupe! I not done updates for months, my PC still works…

Doesn’t the EULA for Windows 10 say if you accept they can and will track you?

sumthin’ like:

… look, stoopid, just check those boxes and the underlying (zero) function will take care of all your privacy concerns. Top Job!

I hope pink glasses are included with that freeware?

What you people do not understand is that this will eventually become the norm where you will not be able to disable anything. Â Fear tactics will always force the people of the world to eagerly give away privacy. Â With each passing generation this is getting more and more pronounced–this is inevitable.

[QUOTE=CharmedonWB;2758530]With each passing generation this is getting more and more pronounced–this is inevitable.[/QUOTE]

Indeed…In the near future,our lives will be totally controlled by corporations and the governement…whatever we do will be monitored in some sort of way,so that they can file how we live and behave to get as much as possible of our money in the easiest way…

[QUOTE=roadworker;2758534]Indeed…In the near future,our lives will be totally controlled by corporations and the governement…whatever we do will be monitored in some sort of way,so that they can file how we live and behave to get as much as possible of our money in the easiest way…[/QUOTE]

The end of living & the beginning of survival .

[QUOTE=cholla;2758537]The end of living & the beginning of survival .[/QUOTE]

:iagree:
Am already prepping,cholla…:wink:

Last but not least the software can add entries to the HOST file that prevents the computer from accessing known tracking domains.
This sounds good enough for me as I use a PC hosts edit file to prevent this kinda underhand action by other web sources already. And some of those may be on my current PC hosts edit file already. Saving it before M$$ lawyers get their hands on it.