Devastation

vbimport

created an image file using safedisk 2.8 settings and alcohol, but when i tried running the game, it loaded then after entering main menu screen, will flick back to desktop, minimizing the game and requesting a dial up connection and cannot get back to the game. does this every time.

could this be because i tried playing the game from a virtual drive? but surely if this is the case, then the game wouldn’t have even loaded.

does anybody know why this does this?

No, this is normal behaviour as the game checks to see if there is an available update on starting and I haven’t found any way of turning it off either. :frowning: (I suppose that I could alter my internet settings so as to prevent dial-up when called on by a program but I really don’t want to do that.)

It’s a prize pain in the you know where but you can still play the game.

To get into the game proper, cancel the dial-up box and then right click on the minimised Devastation “window” on the taskbar, then click on “Restore” and you’ll be able to start the game.

First of all the game uses SafeDisc 2.90.40, and it had alcohol blacklisted before the last alcohol update… So you will need to use the current version of alcohol. You can also disable the virtual drive and try the game again see if that works.

could this be because i tried playing the game from a virtual drive? but surely if this is the case, then the game wouldn’t have even loaded.

Not true the game would still load, it doesn’t look for the protection or do the actual checks until you start the game.

Quite correct that the game uses sd 2.90.040 and that versions of alcohol prior to the last 2 have blacklisting problems.

However, my extensive, though not yet fully complete, tests with this game indicate that the first check is prior to the game menu appearing and the game’s attempt to connect to the internet.

If Hornster gets to the point where the game tries to connect, his image is good and the game will run if he restores the minimised window.

thanks for your help

can now get back into game using the restore option

image file was a success on both virtual drive and cdr:)

I had the same problem, but the game doesn´t minimize. it simply closes itself, and open a browser window, on a website about anti piracy.

Anybody knows how to solve that?? there´s a patch or something to correct this??

thanx :slight_smile:

Empaler