Detonater + Dual view = problematic?

I’ve got an GeForce 4 Ti4200 from AOpen (128MB version). I connected two screens to this card, on on the VGA output, the other on the DVI output (connected through a DVI->VGA converter).

As one screen is a 19" and the other just a 17" I need to use the Dual view function in nView in order to get them both running on resolutions of their own.

It’s no problem getting that to work, but there are some problems that come along:

• no matter if I use my second screen or not, since I’ve had the second screen enabled my systray and start menu have turned into 4 bit color mode (my desktop is running in 32 bit color mode!)
  • most games won’t run anymore, or loose focus as I leave the screen with my mouse (1 screen is displaying the game, the other my desktop); it shouldn’t be possible to leave the game
  • my 3DMark score gets terrible and games won’t run smoothly anymore (looks like dropped frames)

I’ve used different driver versions, it seems that out of detonator
41.09, 42.30, 42.86 and 42.90, 42.30 seems to do the best job…

Other software: Windows 2000 fully updated (SP3 and pre-SP4 patches) with DirectX 9…

Anybody perhaps knows how to solve this problem?

Edit:

If we can believe the Inquirer (can we???) than these problems are due to buggy drivers…

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=6383

• my 3DMark score gets terrible and games won’t run smoothly anymore (looks like dropped frames)

I use my Tv out to watch movies and when I have the tv enabled as a display the performance drops heavily. It has been this way as long as I remember (det 3x.xx) and I dont think there is a solution except disabeling the secondary screen when playing games :frowning:

Originally posted by Donald_Duck

I use my Tv out to watch movies and when I have the tv enabled as a display the performance drops heavily. It has been this way as long as I remember (det 3x.xx) and I dont think there is a solution except disabeling the secondary screen when playing games :frowning:

That is what I am doing right now.

Yesterday the 43.00 detonators were “released” on the net… these give even more troubles, as they even don’t detect my second screen. Seems that 41.09 still give the best results…

I use two 17 inch monitors on my NV4600 and had problems at first. Under your display properties>settings do you have both monitors as plug and play or on at default? I use the 4.1.0.9 drivers with-out a hitch. Are there any reported issues with Win2000 and latest drivers? I am surprised you have worse problems with later drivers.
Does AOpen give their own drivers? I saw a MSI GeForce3 that would not allow the use of non-MSI drivers. MSI used custom drivers. Check AOpen’s website:http://club.aopen.com.tw/downloads/

Good luck!!!

I have the Aeolus Ti4200 128MB 8xAGP and will check this with a 17" and a 15" monitor when i got the time (and space :))

it takes a lot for the card to run 2 monitors at a time especially at different resolution. Just do as Donald_Duck said and disable one of the monitors when playing games so the full power of the card can be used

Originally posted by slayerking
it takes a lot for the card to run 2 monitors at a time especially at different resolution. Just do as Donald_Duck said and disable one of the monitors when playing games so the full power of the card can be used

it should do this automatically , since directx kicks in and will perform on only one monitor. there may be some residue left on the other though.

Originally posted by Astronutty
[B]I use two 17 inch monitors on my NV4600 and had problems at first. Under your display properties>settings do you have both monitors as plug and play or on at default? I use the 4.1.0.9 drivers with-out a hitch. Are there any reported issues with Win2000 and latest drivers? I am surprised you have worse problems with later drivers.
Does AOpen give their own drivers? I saw a MSI GeForce3 that would not allow the use of non-MSI drivers. MSI used custom drivers. Check AOpen’s website:http://club.aopen.com.tw/downloads/

Good luck!!! [/B]

Yes Aopen does have it’s own drivers, but they don’t bring much good. They are quite old (30x range) and don’t perform too well…

I did not test them yet on my dual setup, but as they scored about 2000 points lower than 41.09 (on my old system btw), I decided to stick with the 40x series.

If I want to use the full potential of the card I need to use Aopen drivers, but that only goes for my video in (I just used that once to test it)…

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
[B]

it should do this automatically , since directx kicks in and will perform on only one monitor. there may be some residue left on the other though. [/B]

That’s what it did back when I had 2 VGA cards in my PC… one screen was showing mess (Windows windows showing randomly) and the other was doing just fine… :slight_smile: