Detecting Protections with Clony XXL

Just to let anyone know that the latest version on Clonyxxl only supports up to Safedisc 2.9x. Any protection above it shows as Safedisc 2.9 as well. SecuRom games still show the correct version. I’m not sure that it supports SecuRom 5… It doesn’t say in the info of what it supports. I think all others get detected correctly.

Cheers.:cool:

It doesn’t support above 2.9x safedisk which is true, but on my version at least, it just won’t find protection if it’s above that. Same with the securom 5.x. It also doesn’t support the newest tages protection, XIII has this. It supports the old one though.

Originally posted by Alexstarfire
It also doesn’t support the newest tages protection, XIII has this. It supports the old one though.

Yeah, I can’t detect the protection of XIII on my clonyxxl either.

, it just won’t find protection if it’s above that. Same with the securom 5.x

Thanks for the tip, I don’t have any SecuRom 5.x games to test it on.

BTW, the latest Clonyxxl version is v2.0.1.5

Yes and it’s been that for over a year.

Their website just has a picture of the Clonyxxl skull on it and some German writing saying that they’re closed down…( I used a translator:D )

Official yes they are dead, but it still floats around. I believe it is the best right now, not sure though. If there’s a better one please let me know. If you want ClonyXXL you can just google it and find bout 1000 places to DL it.

I’ve downloaded both 2.0.0.6 and 2.0.1.5 because 2.0.0.6 has a profile in Clonecd but 2.0.1.5 doesn’t. But 2.0.1.5 supports more versions and is easier to use than 2.0.0.6 and is only one file. In the support Bxxxxj said that the copyright laws have forced him to drop the Clonecd support. All versions up to and including 2.0.0.6 have CloneCd support.

The law says we can backup our legally owned copies but the law didn’t say it was easy…

better switch to ProtectionID!

-It’s updated regularly to detect the latest protections.
-You dont need ASPI, VB, .NET or other runtimes to run it.
-It integrates into the context menu of .exe and .dll files
-Programmed by a guy who’s ‘into the scene’ :smiley:

http://cdkiller2002.tk

Yo, hate to burst your bubble, but that program sucks. I checked all the files I possibly could with that on my game CDs. It found nothing. The only time I found something was when I checked some .exe files in my UT2K3 folder. Even then all it said was “found - validatecd Protection cd-check” and I know this thing has more than that. Unless I’m doin something wrong. clonyxxl is much easier to use as all you have to do is tell it what cd to check and it does it for you. True it’s not up-to-date but that’s because it’s been discontinued for some reason. Probably cause it helped get around protection using clonecd, not sure though. Also Protection ID can NOT find the newest protection of Tages. I looked everywhere to find this; on the XIII CDs in the game folder, everywhere. It never found a thing.

The law says we can backup our legally owned copies but the law didn’t say it was easy…

@ $CyBeRwIz$, this would technically mean that I could sue the game company and/or the company that made the new tages protection. As currently it is nearly impossible to get around this protection with anything at-home users can purchase. Ohh well though, this just means that I have to play XIII from the slow-ass cd-drive.

CDKiller (author of ProtectionID) claims that version 5 of his programme can detect Tages in way generic way (game-unindependent).

But version 5 is currently only Beta and only available for testers. We’ll see how version 5 RC will work :slight_smile:

And as for file checking: you are supposed to check the files on your hard drive after installing. most apps are packed using installshield so the main exe will only be available after installing.

That is true, I haven’t seen version 5 yet so I’ll keep an eye out for it. As for the .exe files, it’s true that you can’t see the main file but that shouldn’t stop you from finding the protection. As clonyxxl does this straight from the CD without having to install, unless under special circumstances. This really defeats the purpose of making an image though, because it installs much faster off the image than from the cd-drive. It tells me the protection of some games, which is good. On some, however, it gives me the wrong type of protection. XIII for example, it says it has safedisc, it’s wrong, it has the new Tages. Even at that it didn’t even tell me what kind, for all I know it could have been 1.0.

@ $CyBeRwIz$, this would technically mean that I could sue the game company and/or the company that made the new tages protection. As currently it is nearly impossible to get around this protection with anything at-home users can purchase. Ohh well though, this just means that I have to play XIII from the slow-ass cd-drive.

You said yourself it is nearly impossible but not impossible.
They make it hard because they can. They are quite smart by JUST staying in the lines of “the law”. It would be impossible to make backups of their cd’s if their cd’s were hexagonal or had an alien element in them:confused: , because how would we make “backups”?

Originally posted by theEye
And as for file checking: you are supposed to check the files on your hard drive after installing. most apps are packed using installshield so the main exe will only be available after installing.

Actually, Setups are only a set of command that unpack the files from the game’s compressed .cabs or something. If you open a .cab or .msi file with Winrar you can quite easily unpack one file, but most setup .cabs these days are ‘corrupted’.

I’ll put it this way when I say nearly impossible I mean that you would need industry cd-readers to be able to read the protection correctly. As of now there isn’t any reliable way to make a copy, you might get lucky though and get 1 to work. Some guy in here said that his was some pathetic safedisc protection. He said his worked and that only the UK had the Tages protection, but he’s lieing because I’m in the US and it still has it.

I would also like to note that using different elements to make the cd “uncopyable” has been tried, Neverwinter Nights. They used there own special CDs as the protection, it worked for the most part because the protection is based on the way the cd reflects the beam. The only problem is that the original cd didn’t work on many ppls computer for various reasons; and they had a lot of ppl calling tech support and complaining about why there cd gave them a copy protection error.

I would also like to note that using different elements to make the cd “uncopyable” has been tried, Neverwinter Nights. They used there own special CDs as the protection, it worked for the most part because the protection is based on the way the cd reflects the beam. The only problem is that the original cd didn’t work on many ppls computer for various reasons; and they had a lot of ppl calling tech support and complaining about why there cd gave them a copy protection error.

How far can you go with copy protection before nothing could read the damn thing!!!

How good is Scout? If I’m correct it’s updated regularly.

Download Scout here

I couldn’t figure out how to download it. It seems that their server’s down or something. Their actual name is TCCD. I’ve tried downloading from cd media world but you need this borland thing so I left it to download overnight but then I couldn’t figure out where i’d saved it to plus the installer was all in German and I had to translate it but the translator was crappy…AAARGH!!!
I feel better now… :smiley:

heys, im new to cdfreaks.com, but i have been reading what you’s been posting lately, :bigsmile:

this furom is about clonyxxl i see, i’v been using clonyxxl so far, and to tell you’s if you want Clonyxxl 2.0.1.5 to have a profile in clonecd, you could download a profiler from HERE :bow:

thats all for now…plz acknowledge that I am new to this furom so ma hyperlinks might not work:confused:

Has anyone tried Yaps with newer Safedisc 2.9+ and newer Securom 5.x+ to see if it correctly detects these versions? I would give it a shot but I don’t have new titles to try on.

SafeDisc 2.9+ = Yes, SafeDisc 2(3.15.10)
SecuROM 5+ = No, SecuROM NEW

Protection ID,

This program is not the best protection id i have come across. although it can detect safedisk 3.15-3.2, as it detected far cry and splinter cell pandora tomorrow, i have tried it out with several game, all of which it said had no copy protection, these include:

• neverwinter nights (all disks)
  • painkiller (all disks)
  • deus ex 2: invisible war (all disks)

You can work out for yourself, i prefer colony, and it has a more user friendly interface.