Desperately need help burning avi files to vcd!

i have posted before when i needed help burning downloaded mpeg files to vcd. and with the help of all you nice people i have actually figured it out! which believe me is a huge step for me because i am completely pc-clueless!

i now have a bucketload of avi files that i need to get off my hard drive and reealy need some help on how to convert these to vcd.

i have nero, TMPGEnc and VirtualDub, and as far as i know all of the latest codecs (i installed all these as per instructions when i was taught how to burn my MPEG files). i am using windows xp if you need to know.

i don’t know if i’m doing the right thing or not here, but i have been trying to do them basically the same way as my MPEG files, but when i am trying to convert(?) them on TMPGEnc, i am being told that the file cannot open, or it is unsupported.

am i a complete idiot?

any help would be greatly appreciated, and i wouldn’t be at all offended if you told me how to do it like i was 5 years old :stuck_out_tongue:

thanks

eli

If you have 'em as AVI, keep 'em that way unless you want like watching 'em in worse quality. Converting AVI to VCD (MPEG) will significantly degrade the quality of the original AVI. Just cut them to 700MB a piece w/ VirtualDub and burn 'em as straight data CDs.

Divx tends to play even worse on most standalone dvd players , so i can imagine why she wants to convert them :slight_smile:

Eli , have you read ChickenMan’s tutorial ?

thanks Mr Belvedere :slight_smile:

i understand that converting avi to vcd can reduce the quality, but the thing is… unless i do that everyone would be piling in my bedroom to watch all my movies on my pc, this way they can watch them downstairs out of my way :wink:

i did follow chickenmans tutorial when i was doing my MPEG’s, but as i said before, i am still having probs with my avi files. re-reading the tutorial i have noticed that i do not have DIVX codecs 3.11 and the bbMPEG 1.24, so i will go and download these and see if that makes any difference.

thanks for the help

eli (pronounced ‘ellie’ btw so i am actually a she not a he;))

Originally posted by eli
[B]thanks Mr Belvedere :slight_smile:

eli (pronounced ‘ellie’ btw so i am actually a she not a he;)) [/B]

I humbly apologize and naturally have fired all my typists. :slight_smile:

Let us know if all the conversion things succeeded now , or not (and perhaps give some error logging by the used programs).

apology accepted, and if you’re looking for a new typist… i’m your girl:D

have now downloaded everything chickenman ( :bow: )says i need, and have followed his instructions to the letter.

but…

when i load up TMPGEnc and try to browse to the file i am trying to convert, i am getting the following message: c:\program files\blah blah blah\FMi.Some.avi cannot open, or unsupported. i am getting this message with practically all of my avi files, and when i don’t get that message…

i am getting the following messages after i have browsed to the file, done what i have to do with the settings etc and when i finally hit the start button: write error occured at adress 77F52109 of module ‘ntdll.dll’ with 00000000

they are both avi files, at 29.97fbs (NTSC)

i think that’s everything, if you need to know anything else, just let me know. thanks for any help you can offer

eli

edited the name of your .avi file

I think you perhaps need the XvID codec. Try the Kazaa Lite Codec Pack. You can find its mirrors here

Doom9 (an excellent site for anything video-related) has two guides in their Guide section for AVI -> VCD/SVCD. the first one, which uses DVD2SVCD, is fairly easy since DVD2SVCD automates much of the process.

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
Try the Kazaa Lite Codec Pack. You can find its mirrors here

i’ll go and try that now thanks. i’ll let you know how things go. i’ve tried the doom9 guide’s but personnally i find chickenmans tutorials much easier to understand, but maybe i’ll have to give it a go if the kazaalite codecs don’t fix my probs.

thanks again for your help

eli

a cheating way is to use nero

it converts avi to vcd .does everything for you!:bigsmile:

Originally posted by 2ndsign
[B]a cheating way is to use nero

it converts avi to vcd .does everything for you!:bigsmile: [/B]

does that really work? can i just open nero and burn a vcd off a downloaded avi file that i haven’t run through TMPGEnc? what if the file is too large and it needs splitting? that would be so much easier if you could do it that way, but someone told me you couldn’t :confused:

thanks

eli

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
[B]Divx tends to play even worse on most standalone dvd players , so i can imagine why she wants to convert them :slight_smile:

Eli , have you read ChickenMan’s tutorial ? [/B]

Last time I checked, most standalone dvd players don’t come w/ divx decoder, let alone play them. The exceptions are KISS DSP-450 and 500 which come w/ hardware divx decoder built-in.

Originally posted by 2ndsign
[B]a cheating way is to use nero

it converts avi to vcd .does everything for you!:bigsmile: [/B]

It’ll work, but it’ll take a while and at times it’ll look like the system crashed 'cause it takes so long. It’s better to use TMPGEnc to convert an entire AVI clip then split it and burn it in Nero as SVCD/VCD 'cause at least you’ll get a progress bar and have more control over the size of the video.

Originally posted by Stoner
Last time I checked, most standalone dvd players don’t come w/ divx decoder, let alone play them. The exceptions are KISS DSP-450 and 500 which come w/ hardware divx decoder built-in.

Hence the smiley my man :slight_smile: There are more players than those two though. Revoy has also one.

thanks for the help everyone :slight_smile:

ok, i tried just burning my avi file directly with nero (to VCD) and it came out upside down, i swear i’m not destined to figure this thing out.

i am completely and utterly clueless now, because no-matter what i try, i just can’t seem to get the files to run through TMPGEnc, even with chickenmas tutorial. i know i’m doing something wrong because according to his guide, at one point, after running it through winamp i should get NO sound while it’s converting the file, but i AM getting sound. I have posted a thread about this on the DIVX and editing forum and am just waiting to see if anyone over there (or here) can throw any light on the matter, if not… well… i guess i’ll just have to give up.

either way, thanks again to all who have tried to help.

eli

Upside down movies are usually encoded with XVid , there’s another method to try the to convert them to vcd , but i have no clue where i left it.

are you converting the movies (mpeg1) to the right size and bitrate??
there are rules for making vcd’s

look at www.vcdhelp.com
and www.doom9.net

for upside down…re-install the codec…
better un-install all codecs and install a codec pack like the k-lite codec pack. THey are tested to prefent conflicts between codecs.

Nero itself doesn’t have a very good codec to make vcd’s…the quality wil be very poor.

A good mpeg encoder is TMPGenc or the one from panasonic.

thanks for the suggestions. i have tried using TMPGEnc but have been having problems with it with my avi files. chickenman has just offered a solution so i am off to uninstall the codecs and then if that doesn’t work, i’ll have a go at chickenmans instructions.

thanks again (especially Mr Belvedere for his patience) :bow:

just popped back to edit this to say thanks to everyone who has helped because i think i finally have it figured out (or everyone here has figured out for me :wink: ), just a little audio problem now that i’m currently in the middle of sorting out which shouldn’t be much of a problem, thanks again to chickenmans tutorials. i think i’ll hang around though, maybe keep popping back. i would like to repay the favour one day and be able to help out somebody else who has the same problem.

be seeing you :slight_smile:

eli